Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to protect an autographed pickguard

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tweedboy6L6

Tweedboy6L6

How to protect an autographed pickguard Empty
PostSubject: How to protect an autographed pickguard   How to protect an autographed pickguard Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 8:05 pm

At last Friday night's Stray Cats show, luck was on my side and Brian Setzer autographed the pickguard from my Gretsch 6120 Setzer Hot Rod. I want to leave the signed pickguard on the guitar as it adds so much character and soul. I'm not quite sure how to protect the signature. Has anyone had any experience along these lines? I've considered window cling vinyl but am afraid this might lift the Sharpie ink. I'm leaning toward making a clear pickguard out of .030" clear plexiglass to put over the original.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: How to protect an autographed pickguard   How to protect an autographed pickguard Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 12:57 am

I would also try it with a thin clear pexi guard.
But there's a guy on the Gretschpages, Paul Setzer, his Username is just "Setzer" and he is kinda like a pro for making pickgurad and plexi stuff, maybe you can ask him for a sollution.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: How to protect an autographed pickguard   How to protect an autographed pickguard Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 5:55 am

Tweedboy6L6 wrote:
At last Friday night's Stray Cats show, luck was on my side and Brian Setzer autographed the pickguard from my Gretsch 6120 Setzer Hot Rod. I want to leave the signed pickguard on the guitar as it adds so much character and soul. I'm not quite sure how to protect the signature. Has anyone had any experience along these lines? I've considered window cling vinyl but am afraid this might lift the Sharpie ink. I'm leaning toward making a clear pickguard out of .030" clear plexiglass to put over the original.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

the pkguard is made of cast or extruded acrylic (plexiglass is a brand
name for thermal plastics) and is shot (painted and engraved) from the
back.
In either situation you dont want to hit either the plastic or the sharpie
ink with anything using catalyzing solvent. While it doesnt spray out the best from a rattlecan, Poly acrylate spray paint (the blue rattle can from
home depot) can be gently layered on the plexi...

the only niggle here is that the surface of the pickguard was highly polished to begin with and as "permanent" as the sharpie ink is on most
surfaces, it doesnt have much to adhere to, soooooo...
be careful man! beee careful... I would never take the chance of that signature coming off that pkguard by leaving it on the guitar.. I would frame that mother...

my 2 cents...

ps. and yes paul setzer is a good source for the pickguard stuff, I use
to run an acrylic manufacturing company and that is some specialized
work(tedious), if paul has that stuff avail..a thin veneer cover would be nice!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: How to protect an autographed pickguard   How to protect an autographed pickguard Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 9:00 am

Congratulations Tweedboy! That's awesome! I would remove the signed pickguard and replace it, or hang the whole guitar on the wall. You've been craving a new Hot Rod anyway right?
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: How to protect an autographed pickguard   How to protect an autographed pickguard Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 9:28 am

Yes, a new customized Pickguard would be a cool idea. I think Paul Setzer has also made some very cool own creations from what I've seen so far...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Tweedboy6L6

Tweedboy6L6

PostSubject: Re: How to protect an autographed pickguard   How to protect an autographed pickguard Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to protect an autographed pickguard   How to protect an autographed pickguard Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to protect an autographed pickguard
Page 1 of 1