Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

This is what I'm TALKIN' about!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tommy Maguire

Tommy Maguire

This is what I'm TALKIN' about!! Empty
PostSubject: This is what I'm TALKIN' about!!   This is what I'm TALKIN' about!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:33 am

Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: This is what I'm TALKIN' about!!   This is what I'm TALKIN' about!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:50 am

Love them all. The Eddie set is especially incredible. I bet Bear Family will have a follow up set like they did with Gene Vincent to include even more session work and instrumentals. The photos in that book are stunning. I could have done with less record label pics, but as per usual with Bear Family, it's first-rate and worth every penny.

I'm still waiting on the Little Walter set. The 50s Chuck Berry set was amazing, but I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy the 1960-66 set nearly as well. What the hell was I worried about? It's friggin' Chuck Berry!!!

As far as the Buddy Holly set, it's pretty good, but I wish Universal/MCA/Geffen whoever the hell they are now would put one together that's at least as comprehensive as the Chuck Berry collections. Now that his wacko widow is playing nice with the label, maybe we'll get another, more complete set to cash in on the 50th Anniversary of his death. The new "Down the Line" and "Memorial Collection" are pretty fine sets, though, if that's all we get. You know music fans, no matter what they get, it isn't enough. We always want more...

Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: This is what I'm TALKIN' about!!   This is what I'm TALKIN' about!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:57 am

Sweet, the Cochran Box Set costs only abut 140 Euros, abou 180 Bucks. Still too expensive for me, but cheaper than in the USA.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Tommy Maguire

Tommy Maguire

PostSubject: Re: This is what I'm TALKIN' about!!   This is what I'm TALKIN' about!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 10:14 am

Rick-a-ding-a-ling,
The 60-66 Chuck set has some spotty moments, but it's worth every penny. Hell, the picture of CHuck posing with a one-off White Falcon in the packaging is worth the price of admission.

Little Walter? Forget about it man.......there ain't a single bad track on the whole set. When he loses the slap bass, the strength of the music is altered, but not at all lost.

Agreed regarding the Buddy Holly stuff. I wish they'd put the friggin' box that started ALL of this "box stuff" (the Buddy 6 LP box....NOT Dylan's Biograph) out on CD, include the bits and pieces that are on the Rarities set AND the Memorial set and BANG! you'll have all the Holly that's worth hearing. The thing that gets me about those 2 Buddy sets I just mentioned is the shit packaging. My copy of the rarities set was SO shrink wrapped it was tighter than the skin on Joan Rivers' face. The "box" was smashed into a crushed, bent paper square.

Music music music....

TM
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: This is what I'm TALKIN' about!!   This is what I'm TALKIN' about!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 am

Yeah, I'm on disc three of the You Never Can Tell set, and I still diggit. I was listening to a single-disc Little Walter set weighing the possibilities of picking up the box soon, but I gotta scrape together some money for some other financial commitments at the moment.

I lucked out and got the Eddie Cochran set on sale, (under $200) but still spent an insane amount of money on it, considering all the Rockstar Records label stuff I've bought over the years. No regrets whatsoever.

The problem is with all buying all the box sets within a month or two is finding the time to listen to it all.

Hemorrhaging Cash-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is what I'm TALKIN' about!!   This is what I'm TALKIN' about!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This is what I'm TALKIN' about!!
Page 1 of 1