Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WHO ARE the Nashvillans?

Go down 
+2
Rickabilly
ruger9
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ruger9

ruger9

WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Empty
PostSubject: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 3:53 am

I know Brian has used the BSO guys before for trio shows, then of course reunited with the Cats, but who are the guys in the Nashvillans?
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 5:48 am

Of course, on the album Rockabilly Riot, it was Mark Winchester on bass, Kevin McKendree on piano, and Bernie Dresel on drums. Then on the 2005 Euro tour, I can't quite recall. Did Ronnie Crutcher replace Mark on bass for that first tour? I think he did, but I can't remember for sure. Then on the December 31, 2005 Nashvillains gig at the House of Blues Anaheim, Robbie Chevrier replaced Kevin McKendree on piano. (Kevin is an in-demand session pianist in Nashville and tours with Delbert McClinton regularly). That line-up (Ronnie Crutcher, Robbie Chevrier, and Bernie Dresel) has been the Nashvillians line-up ever since.

Now, a few of us recently discussed the change-up for the drums on the upcoming performances on another thread, but in recent correspondence with that person, he has asked me not to say anything publicly about it until the Setzer camp does. While I won't go back and edit those posts, I will hold off telling you who it is for now. It's not Bernie, and it's not Tony Pia. If a current band member from his full-time gig would like to gush all proud and such about their talented, yet humble drummer, I would consider that an authorized source.

Hillbillains-a-billy
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 6:52 am

So, the Nashvillans are whoever Brian offers the job to at the time. That's what I figured.

Yeah, Bernie will be sorely missed. I can't imagine anything topping the "trio portion" of the last 2 BSO tours I saw with Mark & Bernie. Always brings the house down.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 7:49 am

After a little research, Ronnie Crutcher has been the Nashvillains' bassist for all live performances, the 2005 Euro Tour, NYE 2005 in Anaheim, Lee's Liquor Lounge - June 2006, Fogg Fest in 2006, Japan tour in 2007, and the upcoming shows in Doheny and Murphy's CA.

I wouldn't necessarily lump the Nashvillains into the "whoever Brian offers the job to at the time" type of Plastic Ono Band. It seems that once you're in a band with Brian, the gig is yours until you decide to leave. If you've listened to "13" or especially "Red, Hot, and Live," you can hear what a great-sounding band the Nashvillains are. I used to think nothing could top the '68 CBS, and when I heard the Nashvillains live in 2006, I still considered it a dead heat, depending on whether or not I was in the mood for some pumping piano. But when I heard "Red, Hot, and, Live," I thought "This might be my favorite band Brian's ever had." It's a shame they will always be overshadowed by the BSO and Stray Cats, but they are still a great rockabilly band. I look forward to hearing them again sometime soon.

Red Hot-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 7:59 am

Really Rickabilly wrote:
... It's a shame they will always be overshadowed by the BSO and Stray Cats, but they are still a great rockabilly band.

Red Hot-a-billy

I'm not far about thinking the same thing. It's a fantastic band and I will never forget the show in Paris in 2005.
Red Hot And Live is an "absolute weapon"...
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 8:09 am

Red Hot and Live has probably received more play time in my Jeep's cd player than any other Setzer related new release in the last few years, going back to 2005's Rockabilly Riot.
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 8:51 am

Didn't mean to imply the Nashvillans were "mere sidemen" or hacks of any kind... just that I had a feeling it wasn't ALWAYS the 2 guys from the BSO, that's all.

RH&L is a scorchin' album.
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 9:10 am

Totally agreed, the band was awesome live & The Nashvillains live is a great rockin cd!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 12:15 pm

What I don't see is why so much mystery concerning the drummer...

If it was because of the set list or something, I would understand it so not to spoil the "surprise", but the name of a musician?? Slim Jim Phantom?? Wouldn't it be soooo good??
Back to top Go down
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:26 pm

ChooChooHotHub wrote:
Really Rickabilly wrote:
... It's a shame they will always be overshadowed by the BSO and Stray Cats, but they are still a great rockabilly band.

Red Hot-a-billy

I'm not far about thinking the same thing. It's a fantastic band and I will never forget the show in Paris in 2005.
Red Hot And Live is an "absolute weapon"...

Very amazing sound on Red, Hot & Live.
Better thant the Cats? We can't debate and we can't compare as it's not the same decade. The last album of the Cats was musically their best for me... and I'm sure they didn't hit the top, they could surely improve their music... but that's another story Sad

FC
Back to top Go down
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Really Rickabilly wrote:
After a little research, Ronnie Crutcher has been the Nashvillains' bassist for all live performances, the 2005 Euro Tour,

Yes, that's right! He's got a big presence with his bass and I remember I've been impressed when I saw the Nash in Paris late '05!

FC
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 6:14 pm

What i don't know is why Bernie is no longer with the Nashvillians....
if Tony Pia was replacing Bernie, I would understand.... but well, I guess it's up to Bernie; the rest of drummers are just a shadow on Bernie

Mr Dresel, we want you back!!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Bernie is gone... let it go. He is actually a working musician, not some guy with a recording contract who only needs to record 1 album a year, 1 tour a year, and scattered one-off appearances. He teaches, he records for film and television, he performs with several groups, and has a busy professional career. Plus, he chose to leave Brian, just like Mark Winchester. Even when Brian coaxed Mark Winchester back for Rockabilly Riot, it was an easy sell. Mark works in the Nashville area, where the album was recorded, and there was no touring commitment. Sure the Nashvillains have only 2 appearances scheduled... so far. Maybe there will be more. Bernie just doesn't have the kind of flexibility anymore to wait around for the phone to ring.

It's OK to miss Mark and Bernie, as long as it doesn't get in the way of enjoying the new additions to the band. Ronnie Crutcher is a terrific rockabilly bassist, and I'm sure the next cat behind the kit doesn't have to be the next Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa to be the perfect rockabilly drummer. (See Stray Cats) I think the chemistry and the 'billy attitude will be in full effect for the upcoming Nashvillains shows. Here's hoping we see more of the Nashvillains in 2009!

It's Th'beat! Th'beat! Th'beat!-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE the Nashvillans?   WHO ARE the Nashvillans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WHO ARE the Nashvillans?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: All things Setzer-
Jump to: