Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pick technique.

Go down 
+10
rockabillylaker
The Squirrel
Daddy_O
Twenty Flight Rick
Davy Jones
mjcodina
tvthewiredturtle
webelvis
Guitarmaniac
Riffs_yeah!
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Riffs_yeah!

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 1:26 pm

So who here actually uses Brian's pick-tucking-away techique?

I've been learning rockabilly finger picking for a while now and it's difficult to choose an option. I've used thumb and fingers, thumb-pick and fingers, flat pick and fingers and herco flat pick and fingers. They all have + and -'s.
Then I watch Brian playing Mystery Train and i try the pick folded in the index finger trick. It's not the most natural movement to begin with but shit, if it's good enough for Brian then who am I to argue?
Has anybody actually mastered this trick? Is it worth the time or should I just go the Chet/Jerry route and sacrifice a bit of speed in the solo's.

And I just love the way on Mystery Train Brian slides into some pentatonic runs and then immediately steps back out into Rockabilly licks, it doesn't need saying I know, but the man is a card carrying genius.
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 1:56 pm

I have clearly not mastered it but I get along with it quite good, although I prefer the so called hybridpicking as I get more punch on the bass strings that way. But still it's a good technique to learn and practise as it adds variety to your reportoire of styles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
webelvis

webelvis

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 2:44 pm

Don't ry to do it like Setzer just because he does so!
You'll need to find out what works best for YOU!
I get along best with the Thumbpicks, because I can hit the Strings very exact than and, as chriy already mentioned, they've got more punch when you hit them with a pick. But it's also usefull to be able to do it without the thumbpick, either you hide your pick (I use to keep it in my middlefinger), or you do the hybridpicking. Anyway just do what feels best for you, and the rest is just practising!

Paul
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 7:52 pm

Riffs_yeah! wrote:
So who here actually uses Brian's pick-tucking-away techique?

I've been learning rockabilly finger picking for a while now and it's difficult to choose an option. I've used thumb and fingers, thumb-pick and fingers, flat pick and fingers and herco flat pick and fingers. They all have + and -'s.
Then I watch Brian playing Mystery Train and i try the pick folded in the index finger trick. It's not the most natural movement to begin with but shit, if it's good enough for Brian then who am I to argue?
Has anybody actually mastered this trick? Is it worth the time or should I just go the Chet/Jerry route and sacrifice a bit of speed in the solo's.

And I just love the way on Mystery Train Brian slides into some pentatonic runs and then immediately steps back out into Rockabilly licks, it doesn't need saying I know, but the man is a card carrying genius.

no doubt he is "the sh$t" but the pick fold in technique was rampant
in the shred days. I use to see eddie van halen do it now and then
so thats what I was used to..BUT I like the hybrid sound of the flat
pick and finger pick combo ala Rev horton heat "the nashville claw"
so I kind of go between the two.
I admire the way setzer extends his thumb to pull of the travis picking and I've tried to emulate that. Havent been too successful but
its given me a better hand positioning.

If you havent grown up with travis picking its a bitch to learn it. In the 80s I was caught up with tapping and sweep picking so I am enjoying the challenge of the chet atkins method currently.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
mjcodina

mjcodina

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 10:43 pm

yeah I used to tuck the pick in between my index and middle finger but then saw the way that setzer does it and picked that up pretty quick. and it has stuck. its way more comfortable than any other way ive used. when i first started trying to learn it i used to always keep a pick in my pocket, still do, and practice tucking and untucking the pick between my fingers. its addicting to do, just messin around with the pick in my fingers.
as for chet pickin, thats how i got into Setzer. I heard the Beginning of Lets Live It Up and gave Setzer maaad respect. but anyways, i have a pretty hard time doin even medium speed single line licks with a thumb pick on. tough tough
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 11:23 pm

thumb picks are just impossible man, I dont get it.. I've tried! Even
with the metal banjo picks to make my banjo sound cooler..ITs like
driving with oven mitts on! Suspect
Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 6:11 pm

oh dude, those banjo picks. dont even go there. they scare the crap out of me
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 6:20 pm

mjcodina wrote:
oh dude, those banjo picks. dont even go there. they scare the crap out of me

they're awesome on windy days to shock people with pirat
Back to top Go down
Riffs_yeah!

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 7:07 am

Thanks guys.
So far I find using those Herco flat-pick with a wrap around the best trade off between finger-picking and flat pick soloing, but I like to hold my pick with very little point protruding so I have to file the Herco's right down to get the same effect and it sort of spoils the feel of them. Incidentally, I'm having to send away to the States for those so if anyone knows a UK supplier I'd be grateful.

The real issue is that finger picking is a bitch to learn as TV says, and I want to take the right path now rather than have to re-learn it later. Using the Thumb and fingers feels really natural which is why I was interested in Setzer's technique but for Country and Rockabilly I really want to get that twang going on the bass strings.

Oh well, thanks for the help but it looks like there's no real answer, just have to keep trying everything!
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 5:17 pm

My solution is to just tuck the pick between two tentacles!

...Seriously, though, I started out using the hyrbid-pick and finger method for hybrid-picking until catching Setzer's technique via some of his videos/concert footage (especially the Hot Licks video). Since then, I usually adopt his method as I like the sound of the thumb on the bass strings like fingerpicking, but with the flexibility to return to the pick for flatpicked runs. I still use the other method (mainly on songs like Moonlight in Vermont, where it's hard to switch from Setzer's style for the harp harmonics), but probably not as much as Setzer's style. I'm not a big fan of thumbpicks either, but I will occasionally play fingerstyle with no pick. TV is right about the travails of Travis picking. Part of the trick is to sort of teach yourself to bend your fingers/thumb only from the first knuckle (the one closest to your palm), but that is easier said than done. I still find myself reverting to things such as bending from the second knuckle, as well as using the free stroke instead of the rest stroke in flatpicking and fingerstyle when I should be using the rest stroke, when I'm playing. This doesn't even touch trying to play single notes and chords Wes Montgomery-style (with just your thumb, no picks or fingers), which is another great technique for one to try and master.

Anyway, I think the important thing is to try out all these different approaches and then use what works best and feels the most comfortable to ye.

Hope that helps ye out.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 7:17 am

I took music theory lessons from a guy when I was in high school that was really into old school blues. I'm talking Robert Johnson, Son House, etc. He was also into Leo Kotke. He schooled me on Travis picking, but it was oriented to blues, open D tuning on acoustic with slide. That technique really broadened my horizons and was fun as hell! Since I was playing steel string acoustic, he taught me with steel finger picks with the wraparound plastic thumb pick. Years later, when I started studying Le Setz's style, I was able to pick up his technique rather easily for folding the flat pick into the index finger and hitting bass notes with thumb.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 7:45 am

Twenty Flight Rick wrote:
I took music theory lessons from a guy when I was in high school that was really into old school blues. I'm talking Robert Johnson, Son House, etc. He was also into Leo Kotke. He schooled me on Travis picking, but it was oriented to blues, open D tuning on acoustic with slide. That technique really broadened my horizons and was fun as hell! Since I was playing steel string acoustic, he taught me with steel finger picks with the wraparound plastic thumb pick. Years later, when I started studying Le Setz's style, I was able to pick up his technique rather easily for folding the flat pick into the index finger and hitting bass notes with thumb.

they say that the bluez aint nuthin but a good man feeling bad!!
now apparently...years of guitar teachin' too!!!!

sheeze what do I have then?
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Pick technique. Snl_mike_myers_linda_richman
feeling Verklempt? tongue

- good on ya rick, youre like buttah
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 10:03 am

Hee Hee! I wish I could execute a fraction of what Setzer does with those fingers!
Back to top Go down
Daddy_O

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 6:01 am

Brian's pick tucking technique will takes time to master, I myself was trying to get this technique down and just could not hold onto the pick, then it struck me like a flash of lightning, the pick I was using was made of Derlin... just like some of the nuts on guitars, it's one of the most slippery materials... there's no way you could hold onto it and move it back and forth between picking and tucked position without dropping it... I switched over to vintage Celluloid picks and now rarely if ever drop the pick. As far as which picking technique to use (Thumb pick, fingers, Hybrid...etc...) ... the right one, is the one that makes whatever your playing sound best... so practice them all.

Daddy_O
Back to top Go down
The Squirrel

The Squirrel

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 7:56 pm

I picked up that tucking technique while learning Setzer's version of Sleep Walk. I don't know if I am doing the SAME way he does it, but it is rather nice to do. Very easy once you get the hang of it and you can get the softer fingersyle sound and not have to worry about backing off the pick so that it doesn't over power the fingers. I do, however, still do the hybrid approach as well. Just depends on what I am going for.
Back to top Go down
rockabillylaker

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:26 am

I use the Setzer technique. I was determined to do so when I really started to study his playing. I have it down pretty good but i know I'm not as quick as Brian.
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 5:42 pm

My index finger just will not bend the Setzer way. I just sort of palm it because I like to use my index, middle and ring finger while the pinky acts like a stabilizer on the pickguard. Thumb picks are of the devil.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Its not really a setzer technique guys, I think he stole it.. I first learn it from Eddie Van Halen as
a boy since I had to learn how to tap Eruption! Smile
Back to top Go down
The Squirrel

The Squirrel

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 7:15 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Its not really a setzer technique guys, I think he stole it.. I first learn it from Eddie Van Halen as
a boy since I had to learn how to tap Eruption! Smile
May very well be. I was just using a name I thought easy to relate to if it was me that started the 'setzer way' phrase in this thread. Sorry for leading anyone astray on that. I just use my thumb to push the pick down into the crook of my middle finger and that leaves my thumb and forefinger free to do whatever.
Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:11 pm

I dont really think anyone invented it really. I developed the technique on my own when i wanted to do banjo rolls while playing with a plectrum. I tuck it between my intex and middle finger so i can use my thumb index ring and middle fingers to do the rolls then tuck it back in. i learned brians later and it made sense so i use both now
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 pm

mjcodina wrote:
I dont really think anyone invented it really. I developed the technique on my own when i wanted to do banjo rolls while playing with a plectrum. I tuck it between my intex and middle finger so i can use my thumb index ring and middle fingers to do the rolls then tuck it back in. i learned brians later and it made sense so i use both now

bite your tongue, Eddie invented it.

Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:21 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
mjcodina wrote:

bite your tongue, Eddie invented it.

dont tell me what i cant learn devil woman! i figured it out cause i used to chet pick with a plectrum and thats what i did. im not saying i invented it before van halens ugly mug
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:45 pm

but see even then oh curmudgeon of delrin triangles...
that is a misgiven nomenclature! "chet picking" as you say.. is
actually Travis picking..

Eddie Van Halen's great grandfather invented that
Pick technique. Capt.ny10703090648.people_van_halen_ny107
Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:50 pm

dude i know its travis picking! you wanna battle? and all SSLVO travis picking battle
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 12:39 am

mjcodina wrote:
dude i know its travis picking! you wanna battle? and all SSLVO travis picking battle

nah see in the olden days of a duel.. I would get to choose the weapon and
I say .70 tortex picks for a battle of tremelo speed picking, string skipping
sweep arpeggios.. anything less is not cavalier
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pick technique. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pick technique.   Pick technique. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pick technique.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum