Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saw a Jack Willams concert....

Go down 
+2
Rickabilly
Hot Rod Girl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Empty
PostSubject: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:04 am

Who is Jack Williams?

Well, he's now a "folk" songwriter/guitarist, but did work as a guitar player for the Shirelles, the Del-Vikings, the Coasters, the Drifters, the Platters, John Lee Hooker, Big Joe Turner, Jerry Butler, Z.Z. Hill, Hank Ballard (just to name a few....)

What a tremendous talent. A one man show, just him and his acoustic guitar, in front of a very intimate audience of about 35 people, in an old barn. He entertained us for two hours, telling stories, playing a wicked guitar, and singing some incredible songs.

I had the chance to speak with him and thank him for his time, and we started talking about how he really enjoys these small shows. He's played everywhere, every kind of setting, and he enjoys the small, personal venues the best. He told me that he loves the interaction with the audience.

What he doesn't like is the large venues where the press pit is right up front, followed by the "vip" section (that no one ever sits in because they're supporters in $ only), and then the fans of the music are so far away, and the stage is so lit up that all you see when you look into the crowd is a black vastness.

He obviously is a talented musician that loves being one and doing what he's doing. There was so much joy, so much emotion felt in that two hours, that I walked away feeling like I had gotten to know him, and I really treasured that two hours of my life spent there.

Now how does this relate to Brian Setzer? Well, while I was there talking to Jack, hearing his take on playing music, it made me think about the S.C. farewell tour and such. And how cool it would be to see Brian Setzer, alone on stage with his guitar (plugged or unplugged, doesn't matter), playing whatever he felt like at the moment, telling stories of his life and music, interacting with his audience, just being himself. I've seen the Stray Cats, and I've seen the BSO, but this type of concert would be a special treat for any Setzer fan. I wonder if it would ever happen....

Whaddya think?

A gal can dream,
hrg
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 10:24 am

That's a phenomenal idea, HRG! I'm guessing that would be cool to hear a couple of years removed from the "Farewell" tours, to build the nostalgia a bit, and give him time to carefully craft a setlist and stories. These "Storyteller" shows usually involve a little bit of planning, especially if there would be plans to record and/or film such an appearance. Songs, topics, stories, segues, would all be coordinated to put forth the best show possible.

I wonder how many songs there would be in such a show? How much time do you allow for stories, and how much for songs? And how do you address 30 years of live performance, recording, touring, all the phases of your career, influences, etc. in a 2-hour show? What songs would you choose? Personally, I would love a series of shows/programs where Brian takes on different topics. Maybe an unplugged Stray Cats show next year, maybe an "influences" show down the road.

When I think back to the "Rockin' By Myself" shows, there wasn't a lot of storytelling - mostly music. That was such a great project, and the BSO hadn't even happened yet! 15 years later, it seems there would be so much more to tell.

I hate to be the grim reaper here, but I watched Joe Strummer in the movie Mystery Train this weekend, and I became gutted at the thought that the world lost this man at age 50. I wish Brian a long and happy life, but I would never take it for granted that I'll have new Setzer experiences for the rest of my life. So "wish list" projects like this one are fun to dream about, and I hope he decides at some point to do something like this, and film the darn thing, so we fans can have our "Setzer Comeback Special."

If I Can Dream-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Ahhhh Rickabilly, none of us are getting any younger, are we? Embarassed

All that production, deciding which songs to sing, and what stories to tell, it sure does seem complicated, doesn't it?

It sure would be cool if Brian would decide to do a little local touring (meaning within 8-10 hours of MN, so he can come to WI Very Happy ) after the farewells are done. Nothing too complicated. Whatever he wanted to play, whatever he wanted to say, for as long as he wanted to be on stage that night. Whatever flows, whatever inspired him at the moment. That's the kind of show I'd like to see. Kind of like a one-man jam. Small settings, nothing too fancy or impersonal. Of course, someone would be there to video the whole thing, and the series of concerts could be released on dvd for all of us to cherish forever.

I'd only hope that I could get tickets for the thing!

Off in la-la land,
hrg
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 10:31 pm

There are some clips floating around YT where BS plays in a music store, just him & his guitar.
Great stuff!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 9:36 am

If that's the same video I'm have, it is VERY cool. Brian looks a little irritated that someone's videotaping the moment, but he carries on playing. The one I'm thinking of appears to be in a music store somewhere in Japan, and Brian is playing one of the store guitars. My memory is failing me, but some of the tunes performed included a great doo-wop number called My True Story, and there's a Hank Williams number as well. In total, there were a handful of songs performed - maybe 7 or 8. Definitely not a "Greatest Hits" show, (not a show at all) but a unique moment, obviously unplanned, where Brian plays what he wants to play without concern for an audience, however small it may be. I'm sure he never envisioned it being viewed on YouTube by thousands of his fans more than a decade later.

My "wish list" show would be one of those small venue shows, where fans are given notice ahead of time that this is not a typical performance, hopefully avoiding those pinheads who shout out "Play Stray Cat Strut!" or "Where are the horns?" A show where Brian feels no obligation to play all the hits, but a balance of popular, lesser-known, and his favorite cover tunes, along with some conversation in-between tunes.

The next best thing would be a DVD where concert performance is mixed with behind-the-scenes interviews with Brian, Stray Cats, or whomever. You could hear the story behind the song, then hear the song. With DVDs, it is possible to have a produced piece like this, with a bonus feature of the entire, uninterrupted concert.

Daydreamin'-billy
Back to top Go down
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 8:52 am

HRG,

Good to hear from you again! Thanks for posting about the Jack Williams show. Curious about the venue...where was this show, exactly? How'd you hear about it? I would love to see a show like that - it sounds awesome, almost like having someone play in your living room!

Hold onto the dream - The Brian in a barn in front of 35 people may not seem very likely right now, but it's not impossible, because nothing's impossible! I saw a video on YouTube, from some special hosted by Ricky Skaggs, I think. Brian was a guest, and he did Sleepwalk, solo, seated onstage at the Ryman (might even have been on the steps of the stage, now that I think of it.) Not a low-key venue, of course, but the setting and how he played, and how he responded to the audience...I have to believe that someday the time will be right for the kind of show you're describing.

Rock on (and Dream on!)
Bear85
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Bear85 wrote:
The Brian in a barn in front of 35 people may not seem very likely right now, but it's not impossible

I´ve seen Marty Stuart playing in a barn in front of probably 60-70 people. It did happen in Sept 2001, at a bluegrass festival in Snow Camp, NC.

He first did his regular show on the stage in front of thousands. The day after he did this performance; he played his guitar and mandolin, and was telling us stories about his childhood and how he got started as a musician, playing for Lester Flatt at age 12.

It was a great experience, being so close and sharing his memories...

I have pictures of that evening, they are on paper, so I´ll get some scanned at some point so you see what I´m talking about.

Here´s one I found over the internet from somebody else. Marty is sitting right in the middle:

Saw a Jack Willams concert.... ZzzBassMtn3
Back to top Go down
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:36 pm

See? I told you so! That must have been an exceptionally cool experience. Thanks for sharing.

Enviously rocking on,
Bear85 (a.k.a. Wisconsindavid!)
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 6:52 am

HRG,

Good to hear from you again! Thanks for posting about the Jack Williams show. Curious about the venue...where was this show, exactly? How'd you hear about it? I would love to see a show like that - it sounds awesome, almost like having someone play in your living room!

Oh my gosh! It was incredible. The only thing he was competing with sound-wise were the crickets!

The venue was in Van Dyne, at a friends home, actually in their old barn. They have a "hobby farm" and are very active with the local folk scene. Part of the reason they are doing small barn concerts like this is to raise funds to fix up the barn so they can continue doing shows.

Jack was playing a gig in Madison, and is a good friend of theirs. He called them up to let them know that he was going to be around, and they set up the show. It was advertised on Jack's website, and also in the local paper. They had a pretty decent turn out for this being their first attempt at hosting a concert, and honestly, I think it's very exciting to see their dream coming true! If this is something you're interested in, I can let you know about upcoming shows (if, and when they happen).

I'm sure that if Brian ever found his way down here, and wanted to play in a barn for kicks, they'd open it up in a heartbeat! No rental fee of course! Very Happy

Hmm...there was talk a while back about a hdvdl music festival. I wonder if they'd be willing to host such madness????

Uh, oh, the wheels are a' turning!
hrg

Tuesday...the boys are back in school on Tuesday! Must ...hold ....on.... to ...sanity.... until.... Tuesday.... cyclops
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 6:55 am

Spanishdavid wrote:
Bear85 wrote:
The Brian in a barn in front of 35 people may not seem very likely right now, but it's not impossible

I´ve seen Marty Stuart playing in a barn in front of probably 60-70 people. It did happen in Sept 2001, at a bluegrass festival in Snow Camp, NC.

He first did his regular show on the stage in front of thousands. The day after he did this performance; he played his guitar and mandolin, and was telling us stories about his childhood and how he got started as a musician, playing for Lester Flatt at age 12.

It was a great experience, being so close and sharing his memories...

I have pictures of that evening, they are on paper, so I´ll get some scanned at some point so you see what I´m talking about.

Here´s one I found over the internet from somebody else. Marty is sitting right in the middle:

Saw a Jack Willams concert.... ZzzBassMtn3

Wow David! What a great chance for you! Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 7:00 am

Rickabilly wrote:

My "wish list" show would be one of those small venue shows, where fans are given notice ahead of time that this is not a typical performance, hopefully avoiding those pinheads who shout out "Play Stray Cat Strut!" or "Where are the horns?" A show where Brian feels no obligation to play all the hits, but a balance of popular, lesser-known, and his favorite cover tunes, along with some conversation in-between tunes.

The next best thing would be a DVD where concert performance is mixed with behind-the-scenes interviews with Brian, Stray Cats, or whomever. You could hear the story behind the song, then hear the song. With DVDs, it is possible to have a produced piece like this, with a bonus feature of the entire, uninterrupted concert.

Daydreamin'-billy

And the rest of us say......"AMEN BROTHER!"

And no one allowed who is going to run up to him afterwards with 50 pieces of memorabilia to be signed for auction on ebay....

No pinheads allowed,
hrg
Back to top Go down
enjay07

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 8:35 pm

HRG--
You said it, sister. Best photo album/memory book I have is the one I carry around in my thick, ol' head! Lot's of storage space too. Recall gets a little fuzzy now & then...
~nj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saw a Jack Willams concert....   Saw a Jack Willams concert.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saw a Jack Willams concert....
Page 1 of 1