Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Wolfgang's Big Night Out About Wolfgang's Big Night Out

Go down 
+4
DEXTER
Twenty Flight Rick
JC
frenchlmp
8 posters
AuthorMessage
frenchlmp

frenchlmp

About Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Wolfgang's Big Night Out About Wolfgang's Big Night Out   About Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 9:16 am

I listen constantly this CD at this time!
The more I listen the more I appreciate it!

There are a lot of love and humor in this work. I love it. I can not live without!
I like all songs but my favourite one is "Yes we can can"!
Maybe this is not by random!
Back to top Go down
frenchlmp

frenchlmp

Wolfgang's Big Night Out
PostSubject: Re: About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Wolfgang's Big Night Out About Wolfgang's Big Night Out   About Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:28 am

I forgot to add I really regret that few people (really very few! even among Brian's fans) appreciate this disc!
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

Wolfgang's Big Night Out
PostSubject: Re: About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Wolfgang's Big Night Out About Wolfgang's Big Night Out   About Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:33 am

Yeah I agree, takes a few listens to get into it...
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 8:43 am

I've always dug it. I wish there were a couple more tracks on there with vocals though.
Back to top Go down
DEXTER

DEXTER

Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 11:12 am

Definitely in my top four BSO's. One of the best in a good few years. Great showcase for Brian's talents. I think after a while it will be recognised as consolidating Brian's rep in guitar circles. (As if he needed it!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/view_profile.php?member_id=286
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 2:04 pm

My dear and sweet LMP, this topic is such a good idea : a "tribute" to WBNO, one of my fav' BSO record since the beginning in 2007 ! I am still listening it and there is no compil without six or seven tracks from Wolfie ( For Lisa, Sabre Dance, WBNO, Yes We Can Can", Honey Man, One More Night With You, Take A Break)
Back to top Go down
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Joker for me.... but I still love you Lisa Wink

FC
Back to top Go down
frenchlmp

frenchlmp

Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:45 am

One of my favourite is "Honey man".

The performance with the guitar is unbelievable!

I remember very well the classic is played on the trumpet "The flight of the bumblebee".
The difficulty in the interpretation of the flight is not the height or range of notes played but the skill of the musician to move quickly!

The original piece for violin, he is also considered-rightly-as a piece of technical virtuosity on the trumpet, and was played by the greatest trumpeters of the twentieth!
The flight of the bumblebee is an orchestral interlude written in 1899/1900 by Rimsky-Korsakov for his opera "The tales of Tsar Saltan".

May be one day about the genius of Brian we say: "The flight of the bumblebee" was played by the best guitarists of the twentieth!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Twenty Flight Rick wrote:
I've always dug it. I wish there were a couple more tracks on there with vocals though.

I definitely miss Brian's vocals, but the more I think about it, forcing lyrics onto classical melodies might turn those songs into something even cheesier than "Gettin' In the Mood." (Remember those Wolfie interviews where Brian joked about Beethoven's Fifth being such a universally known melody, singing "Give me some cheeeese! Give me some cheeeese!") These tunes were originally meant to display instrumental skills, so as a showcase for Brian's playing, as well as the orchestra, I think it's fantastic.

I know WBNO caught a lot of people off guard, especially with it being the first non-holiday studio album in 7 years. I think many fans were looking for "The Return of the Guitar Slinger," or "Dirtier Boogie." I have a lot of respect for Brian as an artist that he didn't go in that direction, but instead came up with a concept that was interesting to him, and saw it through.

Now that we're getting another album possibly resembling more closely the BSO that attracted so many fans in the first place, I hope Wolfgang's Big Night Out will be looked upon as an interesting and worthwhile departure, and an essential part of his catalog.

Cuttin' Class(ical)-billy
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 10:55 am

I admit, it is taking me longer to fall in love with WBNO than it took me even to fall in love with NBFD and 13, and I actually like classical music. I've even enjoyed previously-swung classics. Before Le Setz did the Nutcracker, David Berger and the Sultans of Swing did the entire Nutcracker Suite as "The Harlem Nutcracker," which is absolutely brilliantly executed and a holiday staple in my house.

I am already quite partial to Wolfie's vocal numbers, so I know it's just a matter of timing - I'll listen to WBNO at some point, the stars will align properly, and I'll have an appreciation for it that I simply wasn't ready to have before. That happened with Vavoom and others. Actually now that I think about it, seeing any of the Wolfie tunes performed live (in December in Vegas, I hope?) will probably do it for me.

Rickabilly wrote:
Remember those Wolfie interviews where Brian joked about Beethoven's Fifth being such a universally known melody, singing "Give me some cheeeese! Give me some cheeeese!"

Aw, man. I wasn't around at that time, but now I really wish I hadn't read that. Now I'll never be able to listen to that song - the classical or BSO version - without hearing that line. As a cheese freak who is now discovering that she's lactose intolerant (must be something to do with the way dairy is processed in America, I had no such problems in Aussieland), that's just gonna be torture!! Thanks a lot Rick!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

About Wolfgang's Big Night Out Wolfgang's Big Night Out About Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Page 1 of 1