Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..

Go down 
+27
Andi
Rocky Mountain Cat
steb74
donpepe
rosie
Kid Setzer
Brooklyn Bomber
Bear85
Guitarmaniac
ruger9
mjcodina
Budgie
Rickabilly
Rockabilly Ross
JB-IsleOfMan
Spanishdavid
badkitty
RadiationSteve
richjohnson26
sidelake bob
Gloria
christopher
Cristo
Brett
Jess
pony65k
tvthewiredturtle
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Brett

Brett

Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 8:43 am

Rockabilly Ross wrote:
Come on people, Brian's job is music. He has a family, he has to put food on the table just like the rest of us here. More power to Brian and the record label. They are just like us, they want to make money too. We work to make money, same difference for Brian and Surfdog records.

I would love to have the new Lonely Avenue record package but my with my wife out of work I will at the very least buy the CD.

One more time, it is Brian's JOB to sell the great music he makes, please do not villify him for doing his job.

Have A Gretsch Day !

Ross sunny

yep, agreed...

btw: 129USD is not a very high price for this package.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 9:16 am

$129 for:

Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Bso-sfla-deluxe-contents

I don´t think it is a rip off at all. I think is average market price.... maybe a bit more, but hey, it is also a "limited edition" (hope it really is).

And about what Jon said before... I don´t think you will see this on Ebay at a cheap price. You may see them on Ebay... but I don´t think they´ll go lower than the real Surfdog price.

What I miss there, on the package, is the actual cd with its arwork and case. If I´m not wrong, the cd itself goes attached to the vynil LP, BUT... you won´t get an actual cd with it´s case, right? or am I confused about it?

Last edited by Spanishdavid on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 9:22 am

badkitty wrote:
As much as I have enjoyed Brian's music over the years, I have to say I'm getting pretty pissed off at all the price gouging going on. Between the VIP & Hot Seat ticket packages, and 5 or 6 different combos on the new recording, I'm pretty fed up. Times are tough, and the level of greed being displayed by Brian, and/or his management is unbelievable. All I can say is WOW! Just, wow. Given the financial difficulties our nation is facing right now, this is really, in such poor taste. No

That's an awfully strong opinion from someone who would never have purchased such a lavish package anyway. You don't have to buy it to get the music. Buy the CD, just like you would have with any other release. If you just wanted vinyl, you could buy the vinyl. This is not nearly the same thing as the Christmas bonus track debacle of 2002, where you had to buy the same (Christmas) CD 4 times to get 4 bonus tracks. If you're a fan of the music, you aren't missing out on any musical content by not buying the Deluxe Package. (Except for the remix thing, which seems pretty cool!)

Clearly, there is a market for this sort of thing. Many Setzer fans spend thousands of dollars on guitars, music by Brian and the artists to whom he has turned us on (Gene, Eddie, Carl, Charlie Feathers, etc.), and tickets and travel to shows all over the world. It's a niche few artists have. I think it would be bad business to ignore that sector of the Setzer fanbase.

There probably is a point where it will be too much. I don't think they've reached that point yet for me.

I believe Paul McCartney said it best when he wrote, "Will you walk away from a fool and his money?"

Come and Get It-billy
Back to top Go down
Budgie

Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 9:51 am

Damn Surfdog for standing there with a shot gun to my head and forcing me to buy stuff!!!

Damn them to HELLLLLLL!!!

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:51 am

I love this kind of recordboxes but I have problem with Surfdogs webshop, Cant get it working.. HELP! Suspect scratch
Back to top Go down
Gloria

Gloria

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 11:16 am

Christmas falls in mid-October for me! That box set is BEAUTIFUL.

I wonder if they'll bring any of the box sets to the Christmas shows to sell?

"Sailing from star to star, flying high up in the sky..." cheers
Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 11:22 am

Im gettin it for sure, I mean come one! Multitracks! who offers those! Cant wait to hear just the guitar tracks or the vocals. mmmm

and Im not directing this at anyone particular, Im sooooo sick of hearing about people complaining about how "greedy" Setzer is becoming an about price gouging. Then dont pay for it! thank you. that is all
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:02 pm

And a turntable slipmat, Wondering who came up with that? I like it.
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:33 pm

If I had that kind of dough to BLOW (and I DO mean blow... I have no use for vinyl, slipmats, glossies or any other bling), I would do it JUST FOR THE MULTI-TRACKS. Now THAT is uber-cool. Steve Vai recently did this as well... released multi-track versions so people could play along with the recordings or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:58 pm

Gloria wrote:
Christmas falls in mid-October for me! That box set is BEAUTIFUL.

I wonder if they'll bring any of the box sets to the Christmas shows to sell?

"Sailing from star to star, flying high up in the sky..." cheers

With only a 1000 copy's it will be all gone within 3-4 weeks, and it will become a rare piece in 10 years. Better go get your copy right away
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 4:41 am

...and.... Cool

for all Euro-Country-member:
it´s a good deal.
If you want it in new condition buy now.
I don´t think it will be cheaper on ebay later.

man, i need a record player... Shocked

Last edited by Brett on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 4:53 am

Brett you can buy it and then give it to me, I have a record player^^
Just kidding. If I had the money, I'd be all over the big vinyl box. I gues it'll be the standard cd or the one that includes the standard vinyl and the cd for me. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Gloria

Gloria

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 7:51 am

Jess wrote:

With only a 1000 copy's it will be all gone within 3-4 weeks, and it will become a rare piece in 10 years. Better go get your copy right away

Thanks for the tip, but I purchased a copy before I posted my reply the other day. When I saw Surfdog's site was down again after I ordered, I confirmed with them that they did receive my order. I'm good to boogie! santa

Do you really think the box sets will all be gone within 4 weeks?? I was thinking you'd still be able to buy one at least a few months down the line.
Back to top Go down
badkitty

badkitty

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 9:35 am

That's an awfully strong opinion from someone who would never have purchased such a lavish package anyway.

Wow rick. Careful there, buddy, your incredible smugness is showing. And yes, it is my opinion, and I am entitled to it, the same as you are entitled to yours. Go worship some more at Brian's altar. I'm sure he'll be by personally later to give you a kiss with that . . .
(well, you know.) Razz
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 10:06 am

I was given a look by the lady in the kitchen with the spatula making pancakes n sausage like "Youre crazy" when I mentioned "maybe purchasing" this just because christmas is my birthday..

The voice of reason for the season.

ps. the cars need new batteries for winter and I just spent $350 on
Setzer tickets Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_redface Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 10:44 am

Badkitty, I may have been out of line to personally address your post, though you seem to have little restraint in launching a more vicious personal attack on me. Perhaps you wanted to school me on what a "strong opinion" truly is. I neither said nor implied that you did not have a right to your opinion.

I just don't see how Brian's decision to give fans a choice on which way they'd like to experience the new release is a slap in the face to the millions of people in this country who have lost their jobs, their homes, etc. I doubt the next Brian Setzer release has any impact whatsoever on their lives. It's not as though Brian is standing outside a manufacturing plant that just laid off 2,000 workers telling people this lavish box set is being given to them as a parting gift, and, by the way, it will be deducted from their final paycheck. I should have addressed the body of your opinion in this way rather than smugly speculate on your purchasing decisions and whether or not this new release affected you personally. I apologize. I really did not intend to bring out such a mean-spirited response from you.

Having said that, I do see the timing being a little difficult fiscally speaking, especially if you're a Beatles fan, have purchased Xmas tour tickets, made travel arrangements, and now this product comes along. I still wouldn't say it's in bad taste, but I feel for people who want to get this, but just can't do it after arranging Xmas tour travel, shelling out for all the new Beatles product, and are still trying to figure out Christmas shopping.

I like that all the choices are available before the release date, as opposed to other artists who, after the biggest fans buy the CD on the release date, are faced with a new, super-deluxe bonus track release six months later.

As for my enjoyment of Brian's music, I have heard the new album and I really like most of what I hear. I wasn't over the moon about everything on Wolfgang, and I think this album, for people who are BSO fans, is as strong as anything BSO-related since The Dirty Boogie. I don't know what Stray Cats, Nashvillains, and 68 CBS fans will think. The BSO really is a different side to Brian, and I don't know that fans can separate the entities when judging the music. And in an age where comparable artists like Michael Buble and Harry Connick Jr. are hiding behind "safe" cover albums, I admire the risk Brian is taking with an album of all-original compositions, free from re-worked Stray Cats tunes and Bobby Darin covers. (Seriously, how many more version of "The Way You Look Tonight" do we need?)

I'm also very excited that Andi's artwork is adorning the back cover, and that there's a vinyl release to display it properly. Not only that, Cody Setzer's rendition of her photo adorns one of the 12" 45s. I'm probably as jazzed about her contribution to this package as much as I am about the music itself.

Now all we need is a photo of Brian plugging into a setup featuring Tavo's Nocturne, and the feelgood packaging would be complete!

50 Words More Than I'm Gonna Keep-a-billy
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 11:11 am

Rickabilly wrote:

I'm also very excited that Andi's artwork is adorning the back cover, and that there's a vinyl release to display it properly. Not only that, Cody Setzer's rendition of her photo adorns one of the 12" 45s. I'm probably as jazzed about her contribution to this package as much as I am about the music itself.

Now all we need is a photo of Brian plugging into Tavo's Nocturne, and the feelgood packaging would be complete!

Made my wife smile and put a tear in my eye... someday,someday!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Cristo

Cristo

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 3:19 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I was given a look by the lady in the kitchen with the spatula making pancakes n sausage like "Youre crazy" when I mentioned "maybe purchasing" this just because christmas is my birthday..

The voice of reason for the season.

ps. the cars need new batteries for winter and I just spent $350 on
Setzer tickets Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_redface Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_redface

Haha! Priorities, man! Chicks just don't understand. Sometimes, a man just knows when he's gotta do something.

Just kidding... but not-really-billy!

CHEERS! santa

Chris
Back to top Go down
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 4:09 pm

Hey, Tavo, maybe you could do some tradin'...

A Nocturne straight-up for one of those deluxe boxes! (Well, maybe he'd have to autograph it, too...) santa
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Bear85 wrote:
Hey, Tavo, maybe you could do some tradin'...

A Nocturne straight-up for one of those deluxe boxes! (Well, maybe he'd have to autograph it, too...) Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_santa

I can say right now that anyone that gets Setzer to try my Nocturne
Brain Seltzer and can photo document it gets a free Nocturne!!

...c'mon you guys thats some mean teasing, all I ever wanted was the
Setz' to plug his guitar into one and perform all his Xmas tour with it Smile
Back to top Go down
Brooklyn Bomber

Brooklyn Bomber

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 11:57 pm

C'mon guys! It's exactly what we fans alway wanted...a big Setzer box which is highly collecatable. So there are no excuses and no two ways: buy or die!

Remember what we all said about the '94 Japanese Stray Cats box...we all wanted it (but had to pay hi prices if we were at least able to get one) and now we've got the chance to get something equal or even better.

Brett wrote:

2nd advise for the german-members: no customs and tax.
It´s under 175,-EUR incl shipping.

BTW Brett...is's not correct. You don't have to pay duties for items which value is under € 150,- but you have to add 19% tax (Einfuhrsteuer) if the value is over € 22,-. Makes sense, huh!???

I already ordered my copy.

BB
Back to top Go down
badkitty

badkitty

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 12:51 am

Rickabilly wrote:
Badkitty, I may have been out of line to personally address your post, though you seem to have little restraint in launching a more vicious personal attack on me. Perhaps you wanted to school me on what a "strong opinion" truly is. I neither said nor implied that you did not have a right to your opinion.

I just don't see how Brian's decision to give fans a choice on which way they'd like to experience the new release is a slap in the face to the millions of people in this country who have lost their jobs, their homes, etc. I doubt the next Brian Setzer release has any impact whatsoever on their lives. It's not as though Brian is standing outside a manufacturing plant that just laid off 2,000 workers telling people this lavish box set is being given to them as a parting gift, and, by the way, it will be deducted from their final paycheck. I should have addressed the body of your opinion in this way rather than smugly speculate on your purchasing decisions and whether or not this new release affected you personally. I apologize. I really did not intend to bring out such a mean-spirited response from you.

Having said that, I do see the timing being a little difficult fiscally speaking, especially if you're a Beatles fan, have purchased Xmas tour tickets, made travel arrangements, and now this product comes along. I still wouldn't say it's in bad taste, but I feel for people who want to get this, but just can't do it after arranging Xmas tour travel, shelling out for all the new Beatles product, and are still trying to figure out Christmas shopping.

I like that all the choices are available before the release date, as opposed to other artists who, after the biggest fans buy the CD on the release date, are faced with a new, super-deluxe bonus track release six months later.

As for my enjoyment of Brian's music, I have heard the new album and I really like most of what I hear. I wasn't over the moon about everything on Wolfgang, and I think this album, for people who are BSO fans, is as strong as anything BSO-related since The Dirty Boogie. I don't know what Stray Cats, Nashvillains, and 68 CBS fans will think. The BSO really is a different side to Brian, and I don't know that fans can separate the entities when judging the music. And in an age where comparable artists like Michael Buble and Harry Connick Jr. are hiding behind "safe" cover albums, I admire the risk Brian is taking with an album of all-original compositions, free from re-worked Stray Cats tunes and Bobby Darin covers. (Seriously, how many more version of "The Way You Look Tonight" do we need?)

Now all we need is a photo of Brian plugging into a setup featuring Tavo's Nocturne, and the feelgood packaging would be complete!

Aww, good for you Rick. More blah, blah, blah. This is the last straw for me. I'm outta here. Good luck with the rest folks.
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 1:28 am

I'd love to have this in my collection but can't afford it.. See, being a no responsibility University student does have it's downfalls Razz Maybe after I've been teaching for a few years I'll be able to buy one from you guys Razz

Hey, is anybody going to buy a few box sets? Like, one for playing and one to keep sealed?.. I know people do this with CD's so am just curious..
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 1:30 am

[quote="Brooklyn Bomber"]C'mon guys! It's exactly what we fans alway wanted...a big Setzer box which is highly collecatable. So there are no excuses and no two ways: buy or die!

Remember what we all said about the '94 Japanese Stray Cats box...we all wanted it (but had to pay hi prices if we were at least able to get one) and now we've got the chance to get something equal or even better.

sunny
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 1:34 am

Kid Setzer wrote:
I'd love to have this in my collection but can't afford it.. See, being a no responsibility University student does have it's downfalls Razz Maybe after I've been teaching for a few years I'll be able to buy one from you guys Razz

Hey, is anybody going to buy a few box sets? Like, one for playing and one to keep sealed?.. I know people do this with CD's so am just curious..

Hi Kid.
I love sealed old Stray cats records but this one go right up on my turntable!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..   Setzer's new album on vinyl..why.. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Setzer's new album on vinyl..why..
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next