Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chuck Berry

Go down 
+3
Bear85
Niblos
matt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
matt

matt

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Chuck Berry is coming to Glasgow in november fuckin yeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaa...........!!!!!!!!!!
I wont be missing that show Its gonna be brilliant

http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_scotland&query=detail&interface=glasacad&referral_id=eshotglas&event=348997
Back to top Go down
Niblos

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 4:12 pm

Last year on September 5th after working in the hard pouring rain (tropical storm was head up the east coast) all day (I work as a city letter carrier) I finally got home and plopped down long enough to play with my boys (Cecil & Otis - my two dogs). My wife had started fixing dinner and had on the 5 o'clock news. I wasn't paying too much attention to the tube when I thought I heard the announcer say, "Mr. Chuck berry would be performing for free to celebrate Raleigh Wide Open event in a matter of hours." I said, "What did he just say?" My wife Jobi said, "Yeah Chuck Berry is suppose to be playing tonight in Raleigh free but the tropical storm will probably cancel it." Suddenly my eyes got real big and I stood up, " I know I am pushing forty but this is rock n roll royalty - I have to do this!" So I gave her my apologies and ran back out the door in the pouring rain. The trip to Raleigh took 45 minutes but soon I stood down in front in my rain gear with my hands on the rails. Due to the tropical storm heading our way the show was moved up an hour and a half to 7:30 pm. I was told later folks had driven all the way from Florida to catch the 9:00 show and totally missed the event. Berry only played 30 minutes and folks may say he has been "phoning it in" for years but i must admit, it was one of the proudest moments in my life!

Last edited by Niblos on Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bear85

Bear85

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 4:30 pm

He doesn't play much any more, from what I've heard. I saw him last May in Green Bay, and am glad I didn't miss it. It's Chuck Berry, for crying out loud! He came out in a white captain's hat, and a shiny red shirt, with his signature red Gibson, and I just laughed right out loud, saying, "It's him! It's Chuck Berry!" He's real, and he's alive, and he's still rockin'. What more can you ask from life? Cool

I really don't mean for this to be critical - I'm just trying to be objective: it was a good show, but not a great show. I don't think he's ever been a particularly disciplined performer; he's never had a regular band that tours with him. He's always hired locals to back him up. And I'd be willing to bet he's never had a printed set list in his life! After about 5 or 6 songs, he started taking requests! As in "What Chuck Berry song do you wanna hear?" Then, after he got a title, say "Memphis, Tennessee," he'd ask, "What are the first three words?" He wasn't kidding - it happened more than once that night! But then he'd be off on the song, for maybe two verses tops, then another request. He played for about an hour and 20 minutes, if I remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
donpepe

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Everyone should go and see Chuck Berry!!! EVERYONE!!
Back to top Go down
Niblos

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 4:46 pm

Only three guys in the rock n roll royalty category are still around - Mr. Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard and I wouldn't walk out my back door to see the latter.
Back to top Go down

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:31 am

Niblos,
now that you mention Jerry Lee Lewis... he was touring Spain in 1990 with two more artists, if I am correct one was Chuck Berry and the other I can't remember.... you know how fucking crazy Jerry Lee is... and I don't know the order of performing but thing was that JL wanted to play the last... but it was scheduled that he performed the second.... and you know what??? HE DIDN'T PLAY!!! He really meant the last and he didn't play because of that!!!
I am not surprised but I am sure that more than half of the venue paid for seeing JLL and they went out without seeing him!!
I was 5 at that time, so that I don't know this first hand, but an atendant to the gig told me that.... and apparently that happened once or twice more during that tour... quite curious
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 11:48 am

He played in my town, Oct 10th, 1990 with the Beach Boys. I was there, front row. Age 15.
Back to top Go down

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 2:59 pm

Was JLL the last one to play???????
Back to top Go down
Niblos

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Hey Jon,

Yeah I heard this before about Jerry lee too. Very unprofessional but what are you going to do - HE'S THE MAN! If my memory serves me correctly wasn't it also portrayed in the film "GREAT BALLS OF FIRE?" I believe Jerry Lee sets the piano on fire and struts off stage leaving Chuck Berry questioning," How do you follow that?"

As a side note Jerry Lee played Wilson's very own Fleming Stadium back in '57 and also flicked his bic.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 11:08 pm

Niblos wrote:
Only three guys in the rock n roll royalty category are still around - Mr. Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard and I wouldn't walk out my back door to see the latter.

gotta watch your backdoor with little richard Chuck Berry Icon_pirat
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
matt

matt

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 7:19 pm

Niblos wrote:
ha ha ha me neither

Got my ticket's In the post today not by royal mail I might add as they are on strike........!
but anyway Iam lookin forward to seeing a piece of Rock n Roll history and sure as theres shite in a billygoat Iam gonna enjoy myself yeah.....!!!!!
don't care If he's only on for ten minuet's as long as he play's Jonnhy B Goode......!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 7:09 am

Niblos wrote:

I saw him in my hometown in 1993 (my band back then supported him, although we didn't get to meet the man...), and though he had this ridiculously modern-sounding band with TWO bass players and just one guy on sax, his voice was as good as ever. I do realise that it's 16 years ago, and a lot could have changed (and probably has, too), but I would DEFINITELY go and see Little Richard again if I had the chance. I still imagine what the gig could have been if he'd sacked the bass-playing, dancing Michael Jackson-lookalike and brought three or four more saxes in the lineup. I mean, Little Richard's classic Specialty recordings - it just doesn't get much better, in my opinion...!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Niblos

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 2:52 pm

Last night my wife, Jobi took her Mother and our friend, Shannon ( recent cancer survivor ) to Madison Square Garden to see the 25th Rock n Roll Hall of Fame concert. Jerry Lee Lewis opened the show with "Great Balls of Fire." Never thought my Mother-in-law would get to see Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck, and Billy Gibbons before me but someone has to work!!!

Last edited by Niblos on Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
matt

matt

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 4:37 pm

This show got postponed new date to be anounced In 2010 achhhh tipical just my luck.......!!!!!!!!!!!
got a full refund strait away though. no reason given why It got postponed
I was actually surprised mr Chuck Berry was still performing at his age anyway
I was lookin forward to seeing a bit of Rock 'n' Roll history..!! mmmm
espiesally as on first hearing my dad's Chuck Berry album when I was seven year's old many moon's ago
the song Johnny b Goode was the one that got me In to It all
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chuck Berry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chuck Berry   Chuck Berry Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chuck Berry
Page 1 of 1