Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Songs from .. Great review in Sweden

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

Songs from .. Great review in Sweden Empty
PostSubject: Songs from .. Great review in Sweden   Songs from .. Great review in Sweden Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:57 am

Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Songs from .. Great review in Sweden   Songs from .. Great review in Sweden Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 1:25 pm

As it's around a thousand years since the Vikings partied in Ireland , my Swedish is a little rusty. Anyone Translate ?
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Songs from .. Great review in Sweden   Songs from .. Great review in Sweden Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Lord Vincent Blackshadow wrote:
Anyone Translate ?

I ain't touchin' that with a ten foot pole!!!

lol!
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Songs from .. Great review in Sweden   Songs from .. Great review in Sweden Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 3:34 pm

Andi wrote:
Anyone Translate ?

I ain't touchin' that with a ten foot pole!!!

lol!

A viking to the rescue! Cool (Google translate almost had it...)

Quote :
Brian Setzer is a convincing singer and even sharper guitarist, writes Alexander Agrell, letting the former rockabilly cat guide him in the urban jungle.

You have to admire the stubborn man, whose method strangely enough always feels as fresh. And the question is if not "Songs from Lonely Avenue" could be Brian Setzer's strongest album to date with his big orchestra.

Setzer's recipe still reads like this: mix big band swing, rock 'n' roll, "barb wire guitar pop" and jump blues, write your own, effective songs with many nods to the 40's-50's and be sure to keep the whole machinery entertaining and danceable. This intelligent party music is not doing worse by the fact that Brian Setzer is a convincing singer and an even sharper guitarist, whose steel-toed attacks and unexpected inventions of the solos would make even the tiredest circus elephant float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

As a bonus you end up with Setzer as your guide directly into the American urban jungle, a la Mickey Spillane or an episode of Dick Tracy. In the stories of "Songs from Lonely Avenue", fallen women and hard-boiled men slide around, and even the devil in his trench coat calls with bent index finger. Unless heartache drives our hero to wander aimlessly and teary-eyed along the lonely avenues.

Retro king Brian Setzer knows very well how a little shot of humor can lift the lyrics, and he knows the history of American standard song's lyrics as well as musical styles from the past. The song bank is also full of references backwards, the title track's bearing melody, for example, is imported from "Willow Weep for Me". The arranger of nine of the thirteen tracks is the 87-year-old Frank Comstock, famous for doing the same kind of work for Doris Day, Judy Garland and Benny Carter.

Actually one can read the song titles and get a fairly good idea of how the music sounds, "Dead Man Incorporated", "Kiss Me Deadly," "Gimme Some Rhythm, Daddy," "Mr. Jazz Goes Surfin '". The roaring and steaming opening number "Trouble Train" is another fast track - those who do not fall for it, will probably never roll there.

Do not at all trust the final track, "Elena", where Brian Setzer is playing flamenco guitarist with his tongue in both cheeks.

Best Track: Trouble Train

Swedish and Norwegian ain't all that different... Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: Songs from .. Great review in Sweden   Songs from .. Great review in Sweden Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Thank you gretschoholic. You're a good Viking.
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Songs from .. Great review in Sweden   Songs from .. Great review in Sweden Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:53 am

Thank you Viking translator person guy. Now ,I guess you wouldnt happen to know the wherabouts of a vast ancestral horde of gold , which was forceably removed by a nimble fingered Olaf the Berserker back around 980 AD. ? ?
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Songs from .. Great review in Sweden   Songs from .. Great review in Sweden Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 7:09 am

As it's around a thousand years since the Vikings partied in Ireland , my Swedish is a little rusty. Anyone Translate ?

Sorry! Embarassed Thanks Anders.
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Songs from .. Great review in Sweden   Songs from .. Great review in Sweden Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 11:51 am

Thank you Viking translator person guy. Now ,I guess you wouldnt happen to know the wherabouts of a vast ancestral horde of gold , which was forceably removed by a nimble fingered Olaf the Berserker back around 980 AD. ? ?

I sure do! It's been used to pimp my Gretsch with gold plated TV Jones pickups... Laughing (nah, I doubt it. If I knew, I probably wouldn't tell ya, though! tongue )
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Songs from .. Great review in Sweden   Songs from .. Great review in Sweden Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 7:51 pm

Anders and Lelle, thank you both! I am SO glad I read that, it prompted me to go find the song "Willow Weep For Me" to see just what the reviewer was talking about. This is the version I chose to listen to:

My goodness, that woman can sing. I've always known it, but this reminded me in a big way. She may well be my favorite female singer of all time and I don't even know that much by her. All I know is I absolutely love her voice on every note I've ever heard from her.

Anyway, back on the topic of the article, I hear slight similarities in the melodies but I wouldn't call it a direct "import" by any means.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Songs from .. Great review in Sweden   Songs from .. Great review in Sweden Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Songs from .. Great review in Sweden
Page 1 of 1