Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Analog Delay pedals

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
I'm Incinerator

Analog Delay pedals Empty
PostSubject: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:22 am

Just wondering what the main differences were between a Boss DM-2 and a DM-3? It seems that DM-3's don't quite come up for sale or auction as much as DM-2's and there seems to be quite a few DM-2 clones. BYOC now offers a DM-2 clone kit, so maybe there is a way to switch-er-oo some parts and get a DM-3?

I don't even want to touch on DMM's, I have a DL4 that's pretty handy right now and I mostly use the DMM setting on that. the tube echo setting makes everything too bright and crunchy.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
Just wondering what the main differences were between a Boss DM-2 and a DM-3? It seems that DM-3's don't quite come up for sale or auction as much as DM-2's and there seems to be quite a few DM-2 clones. BYOC now offers a DM-2 clone kit, so maybe there is a way to switch-er-oo some parts and get a DM-3?

I don't even want to touch on DMM's, I have a DL4 that's pretty handy right now and I mostly use the DMM setting on that. the tube echo setting makes everything too bright and crunchy.

oohh.... I like to share!! Analog Delay pedals Icon_smile cross post but why not!

[QUOTE=TV the Wired Turtle;88246]oh man I love delays..I'm down with the old Boss analog delays personally. I sold off my Boss DM-2 and Ibanez AD-9 because they are a tad too dark/smooth for me, almost classic 60s rock. I've got 2 boss DM-3 and the only difference is that they
do a more punchy train track "clickety clack" echo due to their slight change up in matsu****aBBD chips. the DM-2 had the MN3005 & MN3101
see below"
Analog Delay pedals DM-2_in--2

while the DM-3 got matsu****a's(matsusheeetahh) MN3205 and MN3201..this yielded a slightly longer delay time w/ clearer high end (some say harsh..not so for rockabilly)

whats funny is that I have a line 6 DL4 and RE-301 still and I think the
Dm-3 is a superior echo effect.. albeit I do like the tap tempo on the dl-4
and its superior Deluxe memory man setting to the reissue DLX Mem. man pedal, and I love EH Dlx memory mans (got an EH memory boy coming soon)

Those BBE and MXR pedals tell a half truth in saying they are analog, claiming a 100% analog audio path.. thats only partly true because
they use a lo resolution digi chip to comp the sound of original bucket brigade analog chips like the matsu and panasonic chips..
Doesnt mean they dont sound good but they just arent that close to the
full sound of a vintage Boss or Ibanez analog delay pedal.. but if we
are gonna be picky even about analog compact delays, neither the DM-2 or DM-3 are as warm and snarky as the DM-1 delay machine.
Analog Delay pedals Boss_dm-1_001
I've had the desk top versions of this box (the DM-100 and the DM-300)
like these in the photo below and it might be the tropical fish caps I've found in the 100
Analog Delay pedals Boss-dm100-dm300-Ax[/QUOTE]
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 7:10 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

oohh.... I like to share!! Analog Delay pedals Icon_smile cross post but why not!

[QUOTE=TV the Wired Turtle;88246]oh man I love delays..I'm down with the old Boss analog delays personally. I sold off my Boss DM-2 and Ibanez AD-9 because they are a tad too dark/smooth for me, almost classic 60s rock. I've got 2 boss DM-3 and the only difference is that they
do a more punchy train track "clickety clack" echo due to their slight change up in matsu****aBBD chips. the DM-2 had the MN3005 & MN3101
see below"
Analog Delay pedals DM-2_in--2

while the DM-3 got matsu****a's(matsusheeetahh) MN3205 and MN3201..this yielded a slightly longer delay time w/ clearer high end (some say harsh..not so for rockabilly)

whats funny is that I have a line 6 DL4 and RE-301 still and I think the
Dm-3 is a superior echo effect.. albeit I do like the tap tempo on the dl-4
and its superior Deluxe memory man setting to the reissue DLX Mem. man pedal, and I love EH Dlx memory mans (got an EH memory boy coming soon)

Those BBE and MXR pedals tell a half truth in saying they are analog, claiming a 100% analog audio path.. thats only partly true because
they use a lo resolution digi chip to comp the sound of original bucket brigade analog chips like the matsu and panasonic chips..
Doesnt mean they dont sound good but they just arent that close to the
full sound of a vintage Boss or Ibanez analog delay pedal.. but if we
are gonna be picky even about analog compact delays, neither the DM-2 or DM-3 are as warm and snarky as the DM-1 delay machine.
Analog Delay pedals Boss_dm-1_001
I've had the desk top versions of this box (the DM-100 and the DM-300)
like these in the photo below and it might be the tropical fish caps I've found in the 100
Analog Delay pedals Boss-dm100-dm300-Ax
[/quote]

When you say "60's classic rock" do you mean early 60's or late 60's? I wasn't around then but the differences seem night and day to me Very Happy

I suppose I can hold out...maybe eventually get one of each (DM-2 and DM-3). I wonder where the AnalogMan AR20DL sits in the analog delay camp? I'm not sure if he used one of those lo res chips or not in that pedal. I think someone said it was a little more clearer than a DM-2 and not as noisy. I know he put out a new analog delay pedal, but I like the smaller footprint of the older one.

Ofcourse if I had buckets of cash, and time to wait, I could get the Echoczar! At that point I'd just get a TTE.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 12:31 am

One question: what is analog in that Boss (or Ibanez) analog delay pedals.
They working with chips and this is 1-0, isn´t? Suspect

This is a serios question....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 6:09 am

Just got my Ibanez ad80 analog delay pedal today. Square foot switch and registered trademark "r" above z in Ibanez.

Just one word............SWEEEETTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 7:44 am

Brett wrote:
One question: what is analog in that Boss (or Ibanez) analog delay pedals.
They working with chips and this is 1-0, isn´t? Analog Delay pedals Suspect

This is a serios question....

No these are not digital chips. In that boss pedal above the MN3005
and the MN3101 are the
delay BBD chip(clock and sampler), the NE570N is a compander chip (noise suppressor),
and the NEC4558 chip is the dual op-amp.

In these analog delays, the signal gets sampled and filtered at regular, discreet intervals but
DOES NOT get converted to Numeric Data (ie. 1- 0's ) for "processing".
"Inside, These are long chains of switches
and capacitors, actually, the capacitors are the capacitances occurring
at the junctions of a series of transistors. An input signal gets
clocked into first capacitor, but it's just there for a fraction of a
second - so the capacitor remembers this charge for a tiny fraction of
a second. On the next clock transition, this charge moves down the
chain to the next capacitor, and the first capacitor is charged to
whatever the input signal happens to be at that moment.

In a BBD chip, linear time is converted into a finite set of points by the sampling clock on input.
The same clock converts these points back into linear time on output."

that is the short description of whats going on Smile
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:53 am

ok, thanks... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 am

Brett wrote:
ok, thanks... Analog Delay pedals Icon_rolleyes

I didnt answer your question? Did I get the answer wrong? Analog Delay pedals Icon_question Analog Delay pedals Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 10:07 am

no, no, everything is fine,

i have to admit i do not undertsand all of your post...
but the important thing signal won´t convert to 1-0 is clear.
But in this case it is a sound sample, a record on a small chip.

I was looking for the real difference between little analog pedals and this new digital pedals.

Yesterday i tried in a shop the Boss Space Echo (the digital pedal),
it´s a good one. But too expensive for Rockabilly music...
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 10:19 am

Brett wrote:
no, no, everything is fine,

i have to admit i do not undertsand all of your post...
but the important thing signal won´t convert to 1-0 is clear.
But in this case it is a sound sample, a record on a small chip.

I was looking for the real difference between little analog pedals and this new digital pedals.

Yesterday i tried in a shop the Boss Space Echo (the digital pedal),
it´s a good one. But too expensive for Rockabilly music...

CArl martin Red repeat is a hybrid digi/analog box and Vince Ray sez its good stuff... Gotta remember, digital isnt bad at ALL.. its just not
"vintage" groovy.
I own a line6 DL4 and its Deluxe Memory Man setting is better than
a real DMM. I can say that cuz I sold my EH DMM vintage pedals after getting the DL4. Its my "The Edge" in a box
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 1:26 pm

The red repeat is not bad indeed. It sounds very vintage.
But i`m still looking for "the one" delay for me...

i think i have to try the analog boss or Ibanez pedeal...

btw, thx tavo, you are always helpful.
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 2:54 pm

what is a good price to pay for a DM-3? Since these show up few and far in between. I'd like to jump on one when one would show up, but I don't want to put the farm up for one or take it in the shorts.

Also, those older Analogman AR20DL and AR20DL XL delays seem pretty cool, not sure if those are more in the DM-2 camp though. They seem to fetch a good amount on the used market.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
what is a good price to pay for a DM-3? Since these show up few and far in between. I'd like to jump on one when one would show up, but I don't want to put the farm up for one or take it in the shorts.

Also, those older Analogman AR20DL and AR20DL XL delays seem pretty cool, not sure if those are more in the DM-2 camp though. They seem to fetch a good amount on the used market.

supposedly the newer Maxon AD-9's a closest to the analog man first version. The Ibanez analog delay has always been made by maxon and all maxon delay circuits are superior products in my book.. having said that and having owned a long lineage of maxon/ibanez delay products from their inception, I give my 2 thumbs up on the DM-3.
The DM-2 gets more of a folklore urban myth, glory status so the price stays above $200. The DM-3 ends up hovering between low $200s and
mid $100s. My last purchase was a chipped up one missing the rubber
screw set stop, but I just aped it from a crummy DS-1 distortion.

One side note: all older Boss pedals used ACA power supplies unlike the new PSA regulated version. They will work fine as long as another pedal is in the chain that takes a regulated power supply. Works fine with my
Godlyke and Onespot power supplies.
Although I did change the power supply inside the pedal by removing
one resistor and jumpering the connection, so that it functions the way newer pedals do. It ended up adding a slight bit more bass clarity but it didnt need it and I almost came close to ruining the solder tracing on the PCB since they are so cheapass.
Back to top Go down
elvis

PostSubject: delay   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Buzz campbell ( formidable guitarist) to play on the tour of strays cats with the ddelay cmatmods (diital delay which rings as analogical) it is a delay tremendous, it is necessary to keep him( in its memory
elvis
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 10:32 am

sorry to bump an old thread.

I made a deal to land a DM-3 (thanks, Tavo!)

I gotta say this is what delay is all about! I only got a little time with it last night, and I was playing at volumes that I don't normally play at- converstational level No . Though, the clarity of the delay was great. the snappy echo was awesome and surprisingly the time available was long enough for just about every spacey and ambient stuff I'm working on (do I still have a need for the big green Dino-box?). I wasn't to sure what the intensity knob was for...and I turned it up and a squeel came out of my amp and it sent off a chill in me.

Nocturne-> DM-3...is a no brainer! I even plugged in my TR-2 and got some sweet classic surfy tones I might need to get the TR-2 to analogman or Keeley after all! (or anyone that could mod this to more throbby/swampy brownface specs and still get the chop of an old Valco amp?)...throw in light fuzz and you could get some Link Wray going...or your own thang!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 12:35 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:

I gotta say this is what delay is all about! I only got a little time with it last night, and I was playing at volumes that I don't normally play at- converstational level No . Though, the clarity of the delay was great. the snappy echo was awesome and surprisingly the time available was long enough for just about every spacey and ambient stuff I'm working on (do I still have a need for the big green Dino-box?). I wasn't to sure what the intensity knob was for...and I turned it up and a squeel came out of my amp and it sent off a chill in me.

Nocturne-> DM-3...is a no brainer! I even plugged in my TR-2 and got some sweet classic surfy tones I might need to get the TR-2 to analogman or Keeley after all! (or anyone that could mod this to more throbby/swampy brownface specs and still get the chop of an old Valco amp?)...throw in light fuzz and you could get some Link Wray going...or your own thang!

haha, he gots the religion! Smile regarding the "squeel eel from outerspace".. That is what a real analog echo can do man. the space ship fun is the bonus feature! Intensity is just
repeat contol(feedback) from one slapback on up.. these ol analog units cant really give
you you more that like 3 slapbacks before it becomes one long saturated tale but whats awesome is that when you dime it, it starts feeding back on itself.
turn your amp down low and set the intensity and wet level all the way up. hit a note and then right when its starts to get carried away moving the delay time around.. thats your space ship.. you can also create the "Brown note" its my favorite.
I'll share more later..
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

haha, he gots the religion! Smile regarding the "squeel eel from outerspace".. That is what a real analog echo can do man. the space ship fun is the bonus feature! Intensity is just
repeat contol(feedback) from one slapback on up.. these ol analog units cant really give
you you more that like 3 slapbacks before it becomes one long saturated tale but whats awesome is that when you dime it, it starts feeding back on itself.
turn your amp down low and set the intensity and wet level all the way up. hit a note and then right when its starts to get carried away moving the delay time around.. thats your space ship.. you can also create the "Brown note" its my favorite.
I'll share more later..

Good to know. I dimed the intensity last night and it just had a piercing ring. I thought "Oh no, I just totally wrecked something".

I enjoy delay knob twisting to get all of those funky "weeee-yer-yer-yer-wooosh" type sounds. I'll have to play with the DM-3 some more to see what I come up with, since this is my first trip into analog delay land.

I must now get a power source for these pedals. I think my TR-2 just eats batteries like no ones business. I think on that one alone, I've done about 20 bucks in 9 volts since I got it. Plus I think that's why the TR-2 doesn't work as it should. I was getting great sounds with it at first, then the status light started to dim...then no light at all...then this weird ticking hiss started to come through.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 1:04 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

I'll share more later..

Good to know. I dimed the intensity last night and it just had a piercing ring. I thought "Oh no, I just totally wrecked something".

I enjoy delay knob twisting to get all of those funky "weeee-yer-yer-yer-wooosh" type sounds. I'll have to play with the DM-3 some more to see what I come up with, since this is my first trip into analog delay land.

I must now get a power source for these pedals. I think my TR-2 just eats batteries like no ones business. I think on that one alone, I've done about 20 bucks in 9 volts since I got it. Plus I think that's why the TR-2 doesn't work as it should. I was getting great sounds with it at first, then the status light started to dim...then no light at all...then this weird ticking hiss started to come through.

that pedal wont last with a battery.. it will eat up in an hr and then run totally crappy sounding with it till it has no juice. visual sounds 1spot.. pronto!
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:04 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

I'll share more later..

that pedal wont last with a battery.. it will eat up in an hr and then run totally crappy sounding with it till it has no juice. visual sounds 1spot.. pronto!

That's for sure. I already think the Nocturne is nearly finished its first battery. It's starting to give off a fizzy "starved for power" sound, kind of in a cool 60's garage band fuzz way. I was looking into a T-Rex Fuel tank jr. but not sure if the shop I got a gift card carries those...so I will have to get down and see what they have. Since the DM-3 is an ASA would it need an isolated supply from my nocturne and TR-2?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 3:51 pm

bump/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Analog Delay pedals   Analog Delay pedals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Analog Delay pedals
Page 1 of 1