Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl

Go down 
+4
Rickabilly
sidelake bob
jbgoode
Jess
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jess

Jess

I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Empty
PostSubject: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 6:43 am

Just to let you all know, I've been writing to Surfdog about the crappy quality of the vinylbox and the picture disc as well. I haven't seen crap like this since the 80's. The european pressing factory is a BIG joke.
I'm very disapointed......
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk
jbgoode

jbgoode

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 10:46 am

Well done!
You're right; they're crappy... Crying or Very sad
JB.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 11:47 am

Hey Jess!!
I think they've rushed way too much the manufactoring company concerning the box set. My 12" sleeves were not properly glued and I had to do it by myself and the picks... ARE MISSING!!
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 am

And I haven't even heard back yet.....
Can't remember I have ever heard a LP with such low output. The 45 are a little bit better, but still with some kind of gray dirt on.
If they are a honest label, they have to reprint the vinyl and send us the records once again.
And missing the pictures Jon, what a great bonus..... Shocked
It's such a shame, because the box is so beautiful
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Cool box, Bad sound. Why not let Mobile fidelity sound lab do limited edition vinyl? Fantastic sound, Think about it Surfdog!

http://www.mofi.com/store/pc/home.asp
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 2:06 pm

They've replied and they've apologised. They are meant to send me a couple of picks this week!
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 8:44 am

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
They've replied and they've apologised. They are meant to send me a couple of picks this week!

Great you got the pictures soon but the vinyl is still sounding like a homemade casette from 1982 Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 9:36 am

When Jon's talking about pics or picks, he's not talking about photographs, but rather the collectible guitar picks, placards, or whatever the vikings call them. Very Happy However, while I don't think Surfdog was intentionally trying to slip us an inferior vinyl product, I think they were focused on the design of the packaging. All the items in the set are visually stunning, and the Multi-Track CD is a brilliant way to enjoy the music. Unfortunately, I think the sound quality of the vinyl was secondary to the visual impact. It's a shame, because they even took the time to change the running order of the tracks to better suit the listening experience of the vinyl. I have no clue about the manufacturing process, but wouldn't it have been a good idea to devote some time listening to test pressings to see what would be coming out of the pressing plant? I don't see how they can afford to correct the sonic problems on this release now, but hopefully, they will take greater care on the next release to make sure it's the music that matters.

I'm not sure there will be much backlash on this issue. Many people who bought this Deluxe Edition still primarily listen to their music on CDs or digital music players, and are buying the set merely to add to their collection, not to *gasp* actually listen to the vinyl. Perhaps Surfdog underestimated the number of people buying this set who would actually play their vinyl. Did anyone who purchased this album buy ONLY the vinyl edition? I highly doubt it. Have I ever listened to my Ignition Red Vinyl? No. Have I ever played my Red, White, and Blue vinyl editions of 13? Not a chance. Although I must admit, during a moment of weakness, I did play my 10" vinyl edition of Choo Choo Hot Fish. For all Jon's concern about the guitar pics, I doubt he has played the vinyl. Am I right, Jon? And I know he's not alone. Not by a long shot. I feel a little like Nigel Tufnel from Spinal Tap: "Don't touch it. Don't point at it. It can't be played."

That said, if you're going to put your artist's album out on vinyl, sound quality should be the top priority, even on a lavishly-packaged box set. The re-emergence of the vinyl market should be primarily for the audiophiles who prefer vinyl's warmth and other sonic qualities over digital music, not for collectors who want an album cover suitable for framing. From what I've been reading on this issue, it sounds like there are quite a few folks releasing vinyl who are missing this point as well.

Those of you who are devoted to vinyl, how is the sound quality of the previous official Setzer vinyl releases in the digital age (Dirty Boogie - present)?

Don't make me take out my turntable-billy
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 10:08 am

Rickabilly wrote:
Did anyone who purchased this album buy ONLY the vinyl edition?
You know that's not possible, Rick - there's a CD inside the LP's fold-out cover... Wink

Rickabilly wrote:
Have I ever listened to my Ignition Red Vinyl? No. Have I ever played my Red, White, and Blue vinyl editions of 13? Not a chance. Although I must admit, during a moment of weakness, I did play my 10" vinyl edition of Choo Choo Hot Fish.
I've played my vinyls. I buy them to play them, so I guess I'm not collecting just to collect. My red vinyl Ignition, my Rockabilly Riot, yup, I've played'em. And I actually play vinyl a lot. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I bought Choo Choo Hot Fish on 10" before I even owned a CD player. I wasn't too crazy about 13 when it was released, so I chose to buy the CD only.

Rickabilly wrote:
The re-emergence of the vinyl market should be primarily for the audiophiles who prefer vinyl's warmth and other sonic qualities over digital music, not for collectors who want an album cover suitable for framing. From what I've been reading on this issue, it sounds like there are quite a few folks releasing vinyl who are missing this point as well.

Those of you who are devoted to vinyl, how is the sound quality of the previous official Setzer vinyl releases in the digital age (Dirty Boogie - present)?
While I don't claim to be an audiophile (my stereo's way cheaper than a Gretsch 6120), the whole point of releasing vinyl again SHOULD be because of the sonic qualities, not just because it looks cool(er than CD's tongue ). As far as I can tell, the vinyl quality has been better on the previous LPs than it was on the latest album. Another example: While I was sceptical to say the least about the Beatles "Love" (messing with nature! Laughing ), it was a near eargasm to listen to the vinyl edition.

I doubt that Surfdog will, say, withdraw the whole pressing, but maybe they'll realize that they need to pay more attention to the vinyl pressings in the future. Unless they chose not to release any more vinyl... Rolling Eyes

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 10:45 am

gretschoholic wrote:
Rickabilly wrote:
Did anyone who purchased this album buy ONLY the vinyl edition?
You know that's not possible, Rick - there's a CD inside the LP's fold-out cover... Wink

Anders

Hee hee! I actually didn't remember that... I haven't opened my vinyl yet! lol!

The point about many people buying this vinyl but never playing it is just an observation. It doesn't mean the people who do play their vinyl shouldn't hold this release to a higher standard. Vinyl fans need to make sure their voices are heard, as many collectors probably will never play their vinyl and won't notice the problem. I've found Surfdog to be very committed to customer service, and I know they will at least listen to your concerns. I'm not sure re-pressing will be an option, but your suggestions will help them prevent this problem in the future.

Out of Stylus-billy
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 10:55 am

Picks, yeah right, I got it now Very Happy

Well Anders said almost everything, I'm right behind him on that.
And if people are listening to the vinyl or not, well.... If you do a vinyl (or a CD, download whatever) make it sound good, I mean if you go for a brand new car, you want the whole thing to work a 100%

PS Haven't heard anything at all from the label, but I guess I'm not the only one writing them about this

PPS what could be real good from a collectors point of view, Surfdog only sold a 4-500 copy's and the burn the rest of the pressing. Then I will make a lot of money in 2051 lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 4:33 pm

I agree with Jess. I've been listening to the pictured LP is quite crappy in that sense. The sound is like... very thick?? However, I think that that was the intention so I don't feel disappointed in that sense... well, have to look at the positive side of it
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 1:27 am

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
I agree with Jess. I've been listening to the pictured LP is quite crappy in that sense. The sound is like... very thick?? However, I think that that was the intention so I don't feel disappointed in that sense... well, have to look at the positive side of it

That's like building a Ferrari that can only do 15 mph.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 3:12 am

Hah, sorry, I haven't explained myself properly. When I think that the sound could have been intentionally done the way it's been done, imo is beacuse the album is dealing with "soundtrack" tunes more or less from the 40s and 50s, and at that time, that was the sound of the vynils (or even better...), that's why I think this could have been the intention but as I said, I agree with Jess that the quality is a bit cheap... most of the 12" sleeves are not properly glued, some people had to pay taxes for receiving the box without having been informed.... grrrr....
Back to top Go down
talldave

talldave

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 11:49 am

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
Hah, sorry, I haven't explained myself properly. When I think that the sound could have been intentionally done the way it's been done, imo is beacuse the album is dealing with "soundtrack" tunes more or less from the 40s and 50s, and at that time, that was the sound of the vynils (or even better...), that's why I think this could have been the intention but as I said, I agree with Jess that the quality is a bit cheap... most of the 12" sleeves are not properly glued, some people had to pay taxes for receiving the box without having been informed.... grrrr....

If the idea was to re-create the 40's and 50's vinyl sound, the cd would have sounded the same, I should think.
Back to top Go down
steb74

steb74

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 1:17 pm

CDs weren't out back then is possibly what Jon was getting at.
The CD, a modern-ish medium with a modern sound to it and the Vinyl, a much older medium, simply trying to give the flavour of an older, more nostalgic sound.

I haven't heard the Vinyl but I think they probably just messed up, which is a shame.
Back to top Go down
Davidmk

Davidmk

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:17 pm

I had contacted the Label a while back & fought back & forth , I only have the regular vinyl not the boxed set , they do admit they messed up , the problem is they should have put it out on 2 lps , they are putting over 30 minutes per side on this lp & had to compress the crap out of it which is why the volume is so low & there is no Dynamics ...... a real bummer , I bought it as i like Vinyl .......... But it sounds like the 4 lp sets are not much better , what a bummer .....

anyone that wants to be heard email the manager , i will say she is super cool & they have A+++ customer service & do care .

http://surfdog.com/contact-us
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 1:18 pm

I heard back from Surfdog but it dosen't seam like they want to do anything about it. They offerd me a free download, thank you very much, but not what I wanted.
I hope they will keep doing vinyl, but in the future just make sure, the pressing plant will do a propper job. In the end we are all losers, including the label.
I got LP's with 12 tracks on each side, sounding a lot better than this release (in fact I can't remember a more badsounding LP in my big collection), so it's the pressing plant in Europe srewing up real bad. What is strange, I know from other labels, what you can have a new pressing if the first one is not right done.

Have a Gretsch great day Very Happy

Jess
Back to top Go down
Davidmk

Davidmk

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Yeh , i agree Jess , they should go after the company that Manufactured the Vinyl & make them repress them , the Quality really is poor , i would love to hear a good qulity 2 lp pressing as i like the new album a lot .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl   I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I have been writing to Surfdog about the crappy vinyl
Page 1 of 1