Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go down 
+12
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
peeteycat
richjohnson26
Rickabilly
Fabdad
christopher
Brett
Davidmk
tvthewiredturtle
pony65k
Spanishdavid
rockabilly guy
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 9:25 am

That yelling is the 17 year old girl ,being propositioned by a certain blonde bequiffed rocker in his 50s........

Last edited by Lord Vincent Blackshadow on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 4:11 am

David,
if I am right, it's Ronnie Crutcher (the bassist)
Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 9:23 am

HAHA! when theyre talking at the beginning of Sexy and 17 and Brian says "Naaaaa" I keep laughing way hard when i hear it. is it just me?
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 10:06 am

Andi wrote:
Thank you so much peeteycat for the link!

It's fairly fascinating to compare Lee's and Brian's new recordings to the originals. Is Lee licensing his versions too or did he just cut them for the heck of it? Though Brian's voice and guitar are unmistakable, there are several things about Lee's versions that seem a bit truer to the originals. The overall echo-drench and background hollering in Lee's are closer (btw, I've spent enough nights in bars listening to Buzz sing and play over the last 15 years to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that in Lee's tunes, the backing vocals, those hollers in RTT and the "meow," "yeah, don't cross my path" and "whoa no!" in Strut are all sung by Buzz, and I am certain that is him on the guitar). Lee seems to copy the singing style, inflections, cadence and even the vocal timbre of the originals more closely than Brian does. He employs a high, clear sound in his voice (like Brian had in the originals) that he simply does not use on his own stuff. You can tell he's not singing from the gut like he normally does.

But there are some very distinct differences too. I find it interesting that the bass solo in Lee's Strut is actually mixed a bit lower than the original - that's VERY uncharacteristic for Lee!! Very Happy And for as similar as both Lee's and Brian's re-recordings are, neither drummer does the swingy rim clicking during the bass solo that you hear in the original...

....Shocked

Reading this back I just realized I sound like a frigging Star Trek geek, picking apart every detail of every scene of every episode. I'm going to stop now.

Sometimes These are a cut and past job from master tracks, mixed with overdubs
and in the process certain tracks have to not only be pitch corrected but time corrected
as well, and in that quantizing can play with weird slurs on an original dynamic.

On my CD, the last tune was a frustrated live take and the bassist would not play
the walking bass line I wanted to capture a "bakersfield" sound... so after they were
"gone".
I re-recorded my own bass track using an electric bass with a shop rag
under the strings. We just laid that ontop of the original upright track but only used
sub frequencies from the upright and the mids from my electric track..then used beat detective and autotune to synch em up. The end result worked best for my vocals but from a real "bassist" point of view..that song is retarded.

those hits versions most likely were not a group effort but an engineering feat.
correct me if I am wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
richjohnson26

richjohnson26

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 3:26 pm

I've written a review of Lee's new EP on my blog, I'd look forward to hearing any feedback you've got on it and any suggestions for future material to review!

Got the new Brian and Lee albums and the gig in July on my list to blog...

http://wp.me/p1cViT-12
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Listening to Stray Cat Strut It sounds to me as though the drums and bass are programmed midi backing, it's also sounds like Brians voice on the back up vocals, which leads me to believe no one else was involved except Brian and the studio engineers....
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:17 pm

JC wrote:
Listening to Stray Cat Strut It sounds to me as though the drums and bass are programmed midi backing, it's also sounds like Brians voice on the back up vocals, which leads me to believe no one else was involved except Brian and the studio engineers....

I think you guessed it and most likely it could have been sent to him at home with a click track to sing over, or maybe not. If the engineer had access to the original tracks they could have been morphed with current BSO tracks of bass or drums and mashed (sync'd,quantized,etc)
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 3:53 pm

JC wrote:
Listening to Stray Cat Strut It sounds to me as though the drums and bass are programmed midi backing

I doubt it, man. If that's the case, midi upright bass (not to mention midi slap bass, if there ever was such a thing... Laughing ) has come a long way. Besides, isn't this Brian with Ronnie Crutcher and Bernie Dresel...?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 4:26 pm

gretschoholic wrote:
JC wrote:
Listening to Stray Cat Strut It sounds to me as though the drums and bass are programmed midi backing

I doubt it, man. If that's the case, midi upright bass (not to mention midi slap bass, if there ever was such a thing... Laughing ) has come a long way. Besides, isn't this Brian with Ronnie Crutcher and Bernie Dresel...?

Using a good quality sequencer or bass samples triggered by midi commands it is possible
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 8:48 am

JC wrote:
Using a good quality sequencer or bass samples triggered by midi commands it is possible

OK, I wouldn't know anything about it then. I have a stand-up bass and a drum kit in my basement, and whenever there's need for a demo, it's done for real. I'm old school enough to have the midi=cheesy attitude Wink

But again,
gretschoholic wrote:
... isn't this Brian with Ronnie Crutcher and Bernie Dresel...?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 11:01 am

gretschoholic wrote:
JC wrote:

OK, I wouldn't know anything about it then. I have a stand-up bass and a drum kit in my basement, and whenever there's need for a demo, it's done for real. I'm old school enough to have the midi=cheesy attitude Wink

But again,
gretschoholic wrote:
... isn't this Brian with Ronnie Crutcher and Bernie Dresel...?

You keep it old school!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lee Rocker News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2