Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy

Go down 
+4
tvthewiredturtle
donpepe
Spanishdavid
sidelake bob
8 posters
AuthorMessage
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy Empty
PostSubject: Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy   Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Here it is. Smile

Rock terapy.

Rock terapy is the 5th record we recorded as " Stray cats " It was the summer of 1986, we hadnt worked together for at least a year or more. The three of us had been busy touring and rereleasing solo records in `84 and `85. We were booked Into the legendary room A at Capitol studios in Hollywood. Capitol studio was ground zero for generations of recording musicans. This is the place where everyone from Gene Vincent to Frank Sinatra recorded, As well as an endless list of others.
Rock terapy is an Intense record with some of the best playing on it in the bands history. I concider it the lost Stray cat record, it wasent really promoted and we didn`t tour behind the record when it was released. We just met up, Tuned up, plugged in and pressed the record bottom and rocked. Therapy is an interesting and odd record for me in the sense that there`s a couple of songs that I think couldof that wound up on either a Setzer solo record "Reckless" or a Phantom, Rocker and Slick record " I wanna cry " On the banjo song " broken man," Brian shows that he can play the hell out of anythingwith strings. Slim Jim`s drums and my bass playing have some of our best moments on
"One hand loose" and "Beautiful Delilah." Another gem is "Race with the devil," Where the rock-solid foundation helps give Brian the chance to flash his flawless chops and great tone from his Gretsch guitar.
We recorded this record as live as possible, And when I listen to it today, I picture it so clearly. It makes me feel like I`m looking at photographs of Jim, Brian and me from that summer of 1986. I dig it.

Blast off!

Blast off was our sixth release, and a record that brought us back together after what had been a long off-and-on period for Stray cats. Five or six years had passed since the heyday of the early 1980s. It was 1989, the close of a decade. Brian, Jim and I decided that the time had come to reallywork and throw everything we had at this record.
We all wrote together, and collaborated on the sounds and feel that we wanted to achieve for Blast off. We haden`t done a record of predominantly original music since 1983, When Rant and rave was released. We had our first producer Dave Edmunds , backbehind the mixing board, we were ready.
What we hit on redefined rockabilly music of the time. The slamming bass, cave man drum beats and stinging guitar were as raw, powerful and dangerous as anything we had ever done. On Blast off, Psychobilly was born. I hear a lot of the bands that have come after us regurgitating bits of this record. The title track, "Blast off," influenced the next generation of punk/rockabilly bands, and helped to keep the music that started in Memphis in the 1950s alive and fresh. When I put this record on, I can still feel the sweat that we all poured into this recording. we wanted this record to count, to mean something. Slim Jim`s drumming on the song "Gina" makes me think of the Buddy Holly band on steroids. The songs "Slipping In" and "Rockabilly world" are great rockers with Setzer at his finest. "Gene and Eddie" is another one I`m really proud of. I remember sitting down with Brian and Jim, and coming up with a list of every Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran song we could think of. We added our own bits to it, and pieced together the song. It was like working on a gigantic jigsaw puzzle. I also love the closer of this record where I played a slinky jazz line on "Nine lives," and Jim played brushes on the snare drum. At the end of this song Brian leaned in to the mic and said "Give them the real thing".......... I think that probably says it best.

Liner notes by Lee Rocker

Last edited by sidelake bob on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy   Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 1:10 pm

Amen
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy   Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 2:03 pm

He was there, he knows!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy   Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 6:34 pm

I like that, thanks for posting it.. I've been workin in the shop playing those two albums to
clear my brain of all this Xmas stuff I am soooooooo sick of now. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy   Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Thank you sidelake bob. I have the original cd releases of those two albums, so I'd never seen those liner notes before.
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy   Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 1:08 am

On Blast off, Psychobilly was borns

What does Lee mean?
I remember listening to Blast Off (great album) and thinking "the Cats heard about psychobilly after all these year"
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy   Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:50 am

Jess wrote:
On Blast off, Psychobilly was borns

What does Lee mean?
I remember listening to Blast Off (great album) and thinking "the Cats heard about psychobilly after all these year"

I've been wondering about that comment too. I mean, the Meteors pretty much invented (what was to become known as) psychobilly about the same time as the Cats moved to England, didn't they...? Question
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy   Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 11:00 am

It would be like Paul McCartney saying "The Beatles invented Rock-n-Roll." (Obviously, he never did.) I think Jess should have ghost-written the liner notes for Lee. Very Happy Lee should have said "We dabbled in psychobilly on this album." There's nothing wrong with him saying the album had an influence on future bands or that he's heard bits of the album in many young bands. But birthing psychobilly? Not quite.

Labor Pains-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy   Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lee Rockers liner notes. Blast off and Rock therapy
Page 1 of 1