Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Milky Bar Kids - Australian band

Go down 
+2
Pistol Pete
Jess
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jess

Jess

Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Empty
PostSubject: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 7:18 am

Does anyone know the MILKY BAR KIDS, a band from down under.
I got a LP with 2 tracks on, killer version of Flamming Star by the way.
It's a band from the 80's with a nice thick sound, and I wonder if they ever did more recordings?

Cheers

Jess
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Hey Jess!
Yep, the Milky Bar Kids were an awesome band. They were around in the early-mid 80's in Sydney I think. They're on a compilation of Oz rockabilly which I think you're talking about. I don't think they recorded anymore than that.
When the band split up, Patrick (singer) moved to Adelaide and formed another band called THE DESTOS, and true to form they were great. When THE DESOTOS broke up, he formed THE FINGER POPPIN' DADDIES, yet again another great band.
My good friend and also our bass player Francis Macri, was in the FINGER POPPIN' DADDIES and I've known Patrick for literally 20+ years. I've heard a demo tape the FINGERS made, but it was never distributed, as well having seen them many times live.
I ran into Patrick last year, as he still lives in Adelaide, at the Aquatic Centre that our kids were playing at. He still performs solo both rockabilly, originals and current stuff. He was/is an incredible singer/front man.
As for the rest of the band, I need to look up the members and may be able to tell you if they're in other current or past bands.
Hope this helps, cheers Pete
PS.... YES Rene....I do know him as well!!!
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 10:56 am

Hi Pete,

Thanks a lot. Great story.
This forum is great, you can always find someone who knows something, thanks mate.

Cheers

Jess
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Hey Jess,

OK....having spoken to Francis last night, I found out the Milky Bar Kids.....
....were actually an Adelaide band, this is were Pony65K and myself live, who then moved to Sydney.....
....named after a kid sheriff character from a tv/cartoon commercial we have here for a white chocolate bar....
....they released a single of the 2 songs on that LP you have.....
....Paul (Burton?) the bass player was from a huge underground punk band The Skunks, again from Adelaide, who my good mate Chris was the drummer.....
....and if you find any of The Skunks records, expect to pay AUS$500+ dollars for them!!

Cheers Pete
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:02 am

Hi Pete,

I guess that Milky 7" is not easy to find these days scratch

Funny thing, I got two different versions of the compilation LP.

Cheers

Jess
Back to top Go down
paulrobertburton

PostSubject: Milky Bar Kids   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi Pete & Jess, Paul Robert Burton here, re Milky Bar Kids.

I can answer heaps of your questions anytime,

my website www.paulrobertburton.com, google or youtube me and you will find me

regards Paul
Back to top Go down
paulrobertburton

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 5:05 pm

WOOPS there was a comma in the link

www.paulrobertburton.com
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 7:32 am

Hey Paul!!
Was I right on most part of the information? Are you in Adelaide? Let me know, cheers Pete
Back to top Go down
paulrobertburton

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Correct on all Pete. Milky Bar Kids from Adelaide, we moved to Sydney in 1982 or 1983 I think, compilation Album
was the only formal release, two track Flaming Star and a tune I wrote called If You Remember.

All correct with The Skunks as well, I kept 6 Skunks Ep's in my parents loft in Adelaide but I think my brother pinched em
and sold them on Ebay, He got better as he grow older.

I am somewhat of a Gypsy these days, but have really been in Sydney since 1982. I'm touring heaps and often return
to Adelaide and play. I have been a professional musician all my life, even did a tour with Elvis Presley's original Drummer
DJ Fontana, love it.....................

Anyway keep an eye on the website and if you join my mailing list I can let you know when I'm in Adelaide and we can catch up.

regards Paul

http://www.paulrobertburton.com/AIM/Mailing_List.html
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 3:56 pm

No worries Paul, when in Adelaide maybe a beer or three down The Exeter? Joining up up now, cheers Pete
PS.. What was Patrick like??
Back to top Go down
paulrobertburton

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Patrick is in Adelaide I believe, saw him at a Don Walker gig at the festival theatre last year.

Have to shoot now Pete have an ABC interview on the central coast this arvo

talk soon
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 10:00 am

Hi Paul,

It's a small world, thanks for the information.

Cheers

Jess
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:07 pm

Hey Jess,
I'll make sure Paul and I have a beer for ya!
Back to top Go down
ozscotty67

PostSubject: If You Remember!   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 7:22 am

paulrobertburton wrote:
Correct on all Pete. Milky Bar Kids from Adelaide, we moved to Sydney in 1982 or 1983 I think, compilation Album
was the only formal release, two track Flaming Star and a tune I wrote called If You Remember.

All correct with The Skunks as well, I kept 6 Skunks Ep's in my parents loft in Adelaide but I think my brother pinched em
and sold them on Ebay, He got better as he grow older.

I am somewhat of a Gypsy these days, but have really been in Sydney since 1982. I'm touring heaps and often return
to Adelaide and play. I have been a professional musician all my life, even did a tour with Elvis Presley's original Drummer
DJ Fontana, love it.....................

Anyway keep an eye on the website and if you join my mailing list I can let you know when I'm in Adelaide and we can catch up.

regards Paul

http://www.paulrobertburton.com/AIM/Mailing_List.html

Hi Paul,
I actually just transferred my copy of the Regular Rockabilly album to cd. 'Remember' was always one of my favourites from that time. I'm actually keen to cover it.. If I could just crack that second line.. and first line, V2.. any help would be greatly appreciated - oh, and I hope you don't mind!
Back to top Go down
TonyBee

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 4:07 am

Hi All;
I know this is an old post, but only just came across this when on a search for the Milky Bar Kids.As i was wondering what had happened to them.

I remember listerning to Flaming Star by the MBK many yrs ago here in the UK, this was when Rock 'n' Roll was making a large impack here in England., My mate had Flaming Star on an album called Regular Rockabilly, now as then thought it was the best version ever, being a long established Elvis fan it was hard to swallow.
I beleive the line up was Ian Simpson, Johnny Hillard, Paul Burton, ??? Travis, Pat Loughry.

Also anybody got some sounds from the "The Ripley Cotton Choppers", I beleive they only cut two records, and speaking to one of the original members a few yrs ago, he told me they were the first to be offered the place as Elvis's backing band. Any regrets i asked James, " You dam bet" says he...

Anyway thought i might just pop in and say hi.
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 4:25 pm

TonyBee wrote:
Hi All;
I know this is an old post, but only just came across this when on a search for the Milky Bar Kids.As i was wondering what had happened to them.

I remember listerning to Flaming Star by the MBK many yrs ago here in the UK, this was when Rock 'n' Roll was making a large impack here in England., My mate had Flaming Star on an album called Regular Rockabilly, now as then thought it was the best version ever, being a long established Elvis fan it was hard to swallow.
I beleive the line up was Ian Simpson, Johnny Hillard, Paul Burton, ??? Travis, Pat Loughry.

I have a compilation LP called "Everybody In The Whole Cell Block...! [Ten Tracks of Bop'n'Rock'n'Roll by 5 Swingin' Bands From Down Under]", released by Hybrid Records in 1985, under license from Regular Records, Australia. The two Milky Bar Kids-tracks mentioned are on it, alongside two tracks each by the Jaguards, the Treble Clefs, the New Dancehall Racketeers and the Straight 8's. Anyway, while there are no liner notes, there's a photo and line-up on all bands, and according to the cover the Milky Bar Kids' line-up was this:
- Paul Burton - bass
- Andy Travers - guitar and vocals
- Patrick Loughrey - drums and vocals
- John Hiliard - guitar and vocals
- Ian Simpson - session banjo

I totally agree with you about their cover version of "Flaming Star" - absolutely brill! I also liked the Jaguars (great female singer in Toni Allaylis*) and the Straight 8's. Great bands that I've never hear any other tracks than the two on this album. Thanks for making me pull it out of the rack again, it was indeed a nice re-listen (is that a word...? Wink )

EDIT: * This got me googling, and apparently Toni's last name was mis-spelled on the album cover (it's Toni Allayialis, and not Toni Allaylis who is an American(?) actress...), so who knows if there are other mistaken names there as well...? Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
TonyBee

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 3:56 pm

gretschoholic wrote:

I have a compilation LP called "Everybody In The Whole Cell Block...! [Ten Tracks of Bop'n'Rock'n'Roll by 5 Swingin' Bands From Down Under]", released by Hybrid Records in 1985, under license from Regular Records, Australia. The two Milky Bar Kids-tracks mentioned are on it, alongside two tracks each by the Jaguards, the Treble Clefs, the New Dancehall Racketeers and the Straight 8's.

Thats interesting, will keep my eyes open for that one, would it be on wax or CD ?, i suspect wax. Even so we have plenty of traders around here so perhaps i might just get lucky.

I know many people call everything R"n"R now adays but as far as i am concerned 50s R"n"R, is the only true Rock "n" Roll. Fond memories of weekenders at Weymouth, Hemsby and Caistor, UK.......
A few days ago listerning to the radio heard a blast from a fairly new, ( well new to me) Darrell Heigham, who seems to have performed all around the world, but the sound i was listerning to was just great, made a search and found it on the "Mobile Corrosion" CD, named Like a brand new man. anyway, sorry going on a bit now.
Thanks for the details will be making a search real soon.....

All the best.

EDIT.
a quick search and found it.
A1 Dance Hall Racketeers, The – We're Gonna Teach You To Rock
A2 Jaguars, The (10) – They Call Me The Rockin Lady
A3 Straight 8s, The – Bop Street
A4 Treble Clefs, The – Rockabilly Land
A6 Milky Bar Kids, The – If You Remember Me
B1 Milky Bar Kids, The – Flaming Star
B2 Treble Clefs, The – Big Bad Billy
B3 Jaguars, The (10) – Don't Ever Leave Me Again
B4 Straight 8s, The – Wig Wam Willie
B5 Dance Hall Racketeers, The – In The Mood
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 4:36 pm

TonyBee wrote:
gretschoholic wrote:

I have a compilation LP called "Everybody In The Whole Cell Block...! [Ten Tracks of Bop'n'Rock'n'Roll by 5 Swingin' Bands From Down Under]", released by Hybrid Records in 1985, under license from Regular Records, Australia....

Thats interesting, will keep my eyes open for that one, would it be on wax or CD ?, i suspect wax.

Yup, it's wax. I actually found it in the bargain bin at my local dealer's back in the day... cheers

TonyBee wrote:

I know many people call everything R"n"R now adays but as far as i am concerned 50s R"n"R, is the only true Rock "n" Roll. Fond memories of weekenders at Weymouth, Hemsby and Caistor, UK.......
A few days ago listerning to the radio heard a blast from a fairly new, ( well new to me) Darrell Heigham, who seems to have performed all around the world, but the sound i was listerning to was just great, made a search and found it on the "Mobile Corrosion" CD, named Like a brand new man.

I'm old school, Rock'n'Roll to me is (with a few exceptions) 50's Rock'n'Roll. And yeah, Darrel's a fantastic musician (I've had the pleasure of supporting him a couple of times over here with my band). You should check out the album he made with Slim Jim Phantom too (titled "Kat Men"), it's great! Darrel's actually married to singer Imelda May, and he's put his own solo carreer on hold to be her guitarist for the last few years. I caught their gig in Oslo a couple of weeks ago, just blew my mind.

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
TonyBee

PostSubject: youtube Milky Bar Kids   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 4:44 am

Its been a while since i have been here, but my son just found the youtube clip, so thought i would share it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Milky Bar Kids - Australian band   Milky Bar Kids - Australian band Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Milky Bar Kids - Australian band
Page 1 of 1