Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:13 pm

I remember I was a bit of an ass in my response to setzer's releasing
Wolfgangs big night out because I love guitar slinger, dirty boogie and 68' comeback so very much... YET... as time as passed I see how incredibly brilliant a creation
Wolfgang is as well as how its positively affected my kids (they love flight of the bumble bee and hall of the mountain king)

here's something just to stir up your heartstrings and pull out that album. Be sure to listen to it on good speakers. if you dont have it..GET IT, Setzer was trying to give the average joe some culture and his guitar fans a taste of some really good guitar tone.
He even broke out some pedals again to have some fun..


http://www.shorefire.com/media/setzer_guitar_player_20071023_162915.jpg

_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

avatar

Posts : 330
Join date : 2008-09-09
Age : 52
Location : Kerry. Ireland

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:31 pm

Great. Thanks for posting. There are 4 tunes on WBNO that I didnt like but I really loved the rest of the album.
I dont like Take the 5th -Honey Man - Sabre Dance. or Yes we can can.
But I really love the rest of the album and For Lisa is a real gem.
Top class , a real great and brave effort by Brian IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:58 pm

Smile Flight of the bumblebee is a fav, because of Nuno B. from Extreme. a hair band shredder that plays that song faster than hell but Brian can do almost as fast plus isnt using a puss# floyd rose wanker plank.

Setzers take on blue Danube is also been a great study for my 6 yr old whom I am currently teaching 3/4 time signature on the drums. Hall of the mountain king is my older boy's favorite as he's a student of the cello as well as the guitar.

Again, because Setzer was brave enough to tackle this music, he brings the past forwards for many people and not just kids that arent familiar with classical music.

LVB, Glad youre siding with me on this album....
this is actually rebellious and a middle finger to the established genre.

_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

avatar

Posts : 330
Join date : 2008-09-09
Age : 52
Location : Kerry. Ireland

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:19 am

Even if I didnt like any of the album , it would still rank as a great piece of work
1. because its different from the norm of whats out there
2. because its a total different direction for Brian
3. these were/are great pieces of music
4. Its so damned well played and arranged etc

Its nice to see you getting your kids into this music. I cant play any instrument at all but I really love all types of music. My 12 year old son has a good ear for a good tune but I just cant get him into any of Brians work.......but I still keep trying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:46 am

Lord Vincent Blackshadow wrote:
Even if I didnt like any of the album , it would still rank as a great piece of work
1. because its different from the norm of whats out there
2. because its a total different direction for Brian
3. these were/are great pieces of music
4. Its so damned well played and arranged etc

Its nice to see you getting your kids into this music. I cant play any instrument at all but I really love all types of music. My 12 year old son has a good ear for a good tune but I just cant get him into any of Brians work.......but I still keep trying.

they need to make a Stray Cats Rockband. I swear that damn thing has so much
influence. we got beatles rockband and "suddenly" these kids are archivers of all things
beatles.

With Setzer, he kinda got lost on my son after 68' comeback special..and his interest for Rev Horton then perked..but Lonely streets has brought him back to a degree because of the instrumentals. my oldest is 13 and now struttin his stuff with a gretsch.

btw... its just as well because all that sh$t Rev horton sings about is now catching the attention of "mr. adolescent'" fresh new interest in skirts! God help me.. can you remember that? Your 12yr old will be reminding you, if not already..very sooooon!

_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
scatcatcnut

avatar

Posts : 216
Join date : 2008-09-08
Location : Manchester, England

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:38 am

Enter the party pooper!... For me Wolfgang is by far the worst thing Brian has ever been a part of. I played it twice when it came out and it just sounded like elevator music to me. Even the cover is terrible. Full marks for bravery and effort I suppose but the end product doesn't justify the work for me. Sorry if anyone thinks I'm on a big anti-setzer trip here -I've got everything he's ever done plus countless bootlegs etc I really didn't like the prospect of Wolfgang when reading about it pre-release but the completist in me made me buy it. Wolfgang killed my completist urges though 'cos I've since succesfully avoided the last Xmas release and the new album -having heard enough previews to know I'll only file it away after one listen and go back to his rockin' stuff.

Stuck in the past I suppose!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twenty Flight Rick

avatar

Posts : 662
Join date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:14 am

It is indeed a guitar masterpiece, and I like it for all of the reasons TV mentioned. I rarely listen to it today though. Watching Brian play Honey Man live was awesome - it was one of those events that remind you that he is a guitar god. I wish I could have seen the tour right after the album's release. I would have loved to see/hear For Lisa live.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:56 am

perhaps I can understand the dislike of this album in his discography like many
hated U2's Pop album (if youre not a fan of U2 then bollocks to ya).
From a guitarists perspective, the edge had a chance to have fun with his guitar in a way he didnt get to with standard U2 fair.
Same here with Brian in Wolfgang.. dude was busting a Fuzz and wah pedal in
Classical music.. AND he's the Godfather of neo-rockabilly.

This album will be legendary in 20 yrs.. (good gravyy we'll be retired)

_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
scatcatcnut

avatar

Posts : 216
Join date : 2008-09-08
Location : Manchester, England

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:18 am

Hey TV - I can't stand U2 - good job we don't have to share the same listening space eh?!

I'm pretty sure I could name a load of bands that I love that could elicit the same negative response back though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 am

scatcatcnut wrote:
Hey TV - I can't stand U2 - good job we don't have to share the same listening space eh?!

I'm pretty sure I could name a load of bands that I love that could elicit the same negative response back though!

try me, sounds fun! Smile

U2 is one of those things I have loved for many yrs wanting to stretch beyond my roots in country and rockabilly...(also because I am teaching my kids about the responsibility of social justice and bono is a decent example of using celebrity to advance this cause) but I'm a song writer so its pretty hard for me to not appreciate every form of music and be drawn to particular shining artists amoung the genres.

caveat:
I do absolutely hate Bruce Sprungkstink and do not get AT ALL why he has the acclaim
he does. He is no Bob Dylan nor does is he a card carrying blues man.
(although his gift of public speech rivals many presidents, he should be writing books
and touring as a motivational speaker).
...dont forget Ganster Rap.

_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

avatar

Posts : 330
Join date : 2008-09-09
Age : 52
Location : Kerry. Ireland

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:41 am

Here ye ,Here ye ,
I The Right Honourable Lord Vincent Blackshadow XVII , Do here by right of Divine intervention, order the expulsion of the all those from this board who can see no merit in U2.
Confistication of lands ,estates and fortified dwellings will commence forthwith.

As is my fancy, I deem it prudent, that TV the WiredTurtle shall henceforth be known as Sir TV the WiredAquaticReptoide in honour of his quiet exquisit musical proferments, with all the ecoutrements and favours this entails.

I have spoken....It is law !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:59 am

Lord Vincent Blackshadow wrote:
Here ye ,Here ye ,
I The Right Honourable Lord Vincent Blackshadow XVII , Do here by right of Divine intervention, order the expulsion of the all those from this board who can see no merit in U2.
Confistication of lands ,estates and fortified dwellings will commence forthwith.

As is my fancy, I deem it prudent, that TV the WiredTurtle shall henceforth be known as Sir TV the WiredAquaticReptoide in honour of his quiet exquisit musical proferments, with all the ecoutrements and favours this entails.

I have spoken....It is law !

why does this whole thread remind me of this:


_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator



Posts : 507
Join date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Just starting to get into The Setzer...I know @ nearly 30 and just starting to pick up some of his catalog...doesn't mean that I wasn't digging on Stray Cats stuff back when I was barely outta diapers! I just appreciate him more (and more) these days. I only have Lonely Avenue at this moment. Looks like I need to load up on some iTunes cards or something. My Rockabilly collection as a whole is lacking, actually.

U2- I don't think I can't not like them in some capacity. I was force fed this stuff from my brother...then the weird post Achtung Baby U2 happened...Rattle -n- Hum and previous are still great to me

The Reverend Horton Heat- I've dug on him since I first heard Psychobilly Freakout on what I think was Beavis and Butthead back in the day. Unfortunately I only have Revival right now...my dad has some of his tunes though, I may have to check those out! Like I said...my rockabilly/psychobilly collection is severely lacking Embarassed

Bruce Springsteen- exactly what Tavo said! I don't get it either...my g/f gets it(whatever that means), I sure don't. I mean with the guy's influences, I should be on the floor begging for more...I just don't get it scratch

Hopefully my future kids will be cool and want to play some instruments. I pray that I have atleast one son...preferebly being the oldest!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:53 pm

SS, you need Rev's "lucky 7" album!!
There are sources for knowing more setzer music, but I dont approve

btw.. the song will come to you at last, if you listen very hard.. follow the darkness
the darkness is light[/url]

_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com


Last edited by tvthewiredturtle on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator



Posts : 507
Join date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Lucky 7 album is noted. I think you've been recommending that one to me since the "old" TopHat forum days!

I don't want to become a pirate, so I will stay away from any "unapproved of" music sites!

I enjoy the music that artists put out and in no way do I think I am "entitled" to anything they do for being a fan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:33 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
SS, you need Rev's "lucky 7" album!!
There are sources for knowing more setzer music, but I dont approve

btw.. the song will come to you at last, if you listen very hard.. follow the darkness
the darkness is light

_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
pony65k

avatar

Posts : 684
Join date : 2008-09-07
Age : 49
Location : Adelaide, South Australia

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Smile Flight of the bumblebee is a fav, because of Nuno B. from Extreme. a hair band shredder that plays that song faster than hell but Brian can do almost as fast plus isnt using a puss# floyd rose wanker plank.

Geez Tavo, I really hope you're not dissing Nuno Bettencourt Shocked He's an amazing guitarist and one of my favourites. Ever heard the CD 3 Sides to Every Story, Part 3, The Truth? It's truly an incredible piece of art.

Back on topic, I love Wolfgang!!! Great concept and stunning results.

R


Last edited by pony65k on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:24 pm

pony65k wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Smile Flight of the bumblebee is a fav, because of Nuno B. from Extreme. a hair band shredder that plays that song faster than hell but Brian can do almost as fast plus isnt using a puss# floyd rose wanker plank.

Geez Tavo, I really hope you're not dissing Nuno Bettencourt Shocked He's an amazing guitarist and one of my favourites. Ever heard the CD 3 Sides to the Story, The Truth? It's truly an incredible piece of art.

Back on topic, I love Wolfgang!!! Great concept and stunning results.

R


..Get the Funk out.

_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
webelvis

avatar

Posts : 428
Join date : 2008-09-07
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:35 pm

The ultimate reason to love Wolfgangs Big night out:

My music-teacher at school was hating it!!!

I think that's the proof that it's a masterpiece!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:36 pm

webelvis wrote:
The ultimate reason to love Wolfgangs Big night out:

My music-teacher at school was hating it!!!

I think that's the proof that it's a masterpiece!!!!

see.... its rebellious. I love you

_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
pony65k

avatar

Posts : 684
Join date : 2008-09-07
Age : 49
Location : Adelaide, South Australia

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:49 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
pony65k wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Smile Flight of the bumblebee is a fav, because of Nuno B. from Extreme. a hair band shredder that plays that song faster than hell but Brian can do almost as fast plus isnt using a puss# floyd rose wanker plank.

Geez Tavo, I really hope you're not dissing Nuno Bettencourt Shocked He's an amazing guitarist and one of my favourites. Ever heard the CD 3 Sides to the Story, The Truth? It's truly an incredible piece of art.

Back on topic, I love Wolfgang!!! Great concept and stunning results.

R


..Get the Funk out.

You're an "Evilangelist" Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:06 pm

pony65k wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
pony65k wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Smile Flight of the bumblebee is a fav, because of Nuno B. from Extreme. a hair band shredder that plays that song faster than hell but Brian can do almost as fast plus isnt using a puss# floyd rose wanker plank.

Geez Tavo, I really hope you're not dissing Nuno Bettencourt Shocked He's an amazing guitarist and one of my favourites. Ever heard the CD 3 Sides to the Story, The Truth? It's truly an incredible piece of art.

Back on topic, I love Wolfgang!!! Great concept and stunning results.

R


..Get the Funk out.

You're an "Evilangelist" Wink

man..now I gotta pull Extreme Pornographitti out and give a listen. I LOVE that
album..
btw.
if you love shred w/ MASSIVE tone. Mattias Eklund needs to be on your radar.
Dumb lyrics on his "freak kitchen" album but the insane circus music style shredding
makes Steve Vai look like Joe Satriani on downers.

_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
pony65k

avatar

Posts : 684
Join date : 2008-09-07
Age : 49
Location : Adelaide, South Australia

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:06 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
pony65k wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
pony65k wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Smile Flight of the bumblebee is a fav, because of Nuno B. from Extreme. a hair band shredder that plays that song faster than hell but Brian can do almost as fast plus isnt using a puss# floyd rose wanker plank.

Geez Tavo, I really hope you're not dissing Nuno Bettencourt Shocked He's an amazing guitarist and one of my favourites. Ever heard the CD 3 Sides to the Story, The Truth? It's truly an incredible piece of art.

Back on topic, I love Wolfgang!!! Great concept and stunning results.

R


..Get the Funk out.

You're an "Evilangelist" Wink

man..now I gotta pull Extreme Pornographitti out and give a listen. I LOVE that
album..
btw.
if you love shred w/ MASSIVE tone. Mattias Eklund needs to be on your radar.
Dumb lyrics on his "freak kitchen" album but the insane circus music style shredding
makes Steve Vai look like Joe Satriani on downers.

Not really into shredding Tavo. I looked up this Mattias Eklund fellow, too much for me, I'm not really a Steve Vai fan either. Some parts are alright, but in the end it just turns into noise. I wouldn't call Nuno a shredder. There's too many different styles going on in his music. There is shredding at times, but it's not a constant beat your head against a wall approach like these other dudes. Have you heard any of Nuno's solo stuff?

Back on topic. I thought WBNO was a masterpiece. The Brian is incredible to turn classic music into really classic music. I wouldn't be surprised that this CD flew under a lot of people's radars. Pity really, their loss though. I just wish Brian would get more commercial success because he really deserves it. He does for music what no other current artist can do. He puts his you know what's on the line with every release. He takes risks, how many other artists do that?

R
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

avatar

Posts : 330
Join date : 2008-09-09
Age : 52
Location : Kerry. Ireland

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 pm

I myself am a great artist worthy of the highest accolades. Uncompromising integrity is my modus operundi.
I refuse to play live, will not learn to play an instrument, do not sing nor compose and have never recorded nor released any music. I treat the moribund music press with the contempt they deserve and refuse point blank to attend award cermonys. Keepin' it real and being down with the people is what it's all about for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Lord Vincent Blackshadow wrote:
I myself am a great artist worthy of the highest accolades. Uncompromising integrity is my modus operundi.
I refuse to play live, will not learn to play an instrument, do not sing nor compose and have never recorded nor released any music. I treat the moribund music press with the contempt they deserve and refuse point blank to attend award cermonys. Keepin' it real and being down with the people is what it's all about for me.

You must be related to Pearl Jam! Smile

ps.
pony, sorry for using the 80s verbage "shredding" as I think its
not the kung fu of the fretboarding that amazes me but rather the
intense knowledge of theory and its blinding fast angular math application.

Brian Setzer's head works this way even though he is in the genre
of rockabilly. The man was trained from childhood in Jazz so this
Wolfgang album is obviously a natural and tangible expression
of his inner rachmaninoff.

_________________

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"   

Back to top Go down
 
recalling an overlooked guitar masterpiece "Wolfgang"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» MAMI "STRATOMASTER" Guitar problems/issues
» Stump the DJ - my new "game"
» Sneak Preview of "PARALLELS" performed by Supernal Endgame
» New REINXEED - "Higher"
» Second McNaught V5 - "Vader"

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: All things Setzer-
Jump to: