Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A gretsch worth checking out.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
prescriptionamerica

A gretsch worth checking out. Empty
PostSubject: A gretsch worth checking out.   A gretsch worth checking out. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 8:29 am

I just wanted to give props to one of my favorite gretsch's. I own many guitars and three of them are gretsch's. I own a Setzer sslv, a setz hot rod and a black powerjet (duo jet with some great appoints). Getting the setzer had always been a big goal of mine and I thought it would be my numero uno stage and studio guitar forever once I finally got it. However I got to say, for those of you who are also into the Jet guitars after owning a couple of regular duo jets both with dearmonds and filtertons, as well as owning a silver jet, the year the powerjet came out, I read the specs and decided I had to have one. To me The power jet is like they took all the great upgrades we love about the Setzer model and slapped them on to a duo jet. Dup jets are cool enough to begin with both in sound and style so when these upgrades were offered on this model it was a no brainer for me, (and no I don't work for Gretsch), I just love this freakin guitar. for those who aren't that familiar with the power jet, what Gretsch did was add a tune-o-matic bridge, and sperzel locking tuners just like on the setzer models. for the pickups they come equipped with t.v. jones powertron filtertrons which to me have the balls of gibby humbuckers but that traditional filtertron spank/sparkel. And the neck has to be one of the most comfortable playing necks for me personaly that I have ever played. I feel like in a weird way its sac religous to not play my Stezer as much but I got t say the powerjet is my favortie Gretsch.

Anyone else on here got one?
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: A gretsch worth checking out.   A gretsch worth checking out. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 8:37 am

I played one at the local shop for an hour some time after i got my sslvo and I have to say that I don't really like the powertrons. A buddy of mine put TV Classics in his Power Jet and now I like it way more than before. Just my opinion, it's stilö a great guitar!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: A gretsch worth checking out.   A gretsch worth checking out. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 11:53 pm

I've had an 89' sparklejet, an early solidbody roundup 6121w and a post FMIC 6121DSW.. the jets arent my favorite gretsch but I will say that they've improved the internal routing in the post FMIC jet and its dynasonics were really really nice.
close to the sound of setzer's ol 57'

My spectrasonic loaded with the Pwrtron+ bridge came close to the guitar you have but the alder back makes em a tad less snarky. Strangely the soapbar versions of the
Powertrons I mounted in an anniversary just made it juicier sounding.

I'd say you have a swell rocker for sure, powertrons are killer with an AC30 btw. Almost
a marriage made in heaven, cant go wrong with em if traditional rockabilly is too cereal and toast in the morning for ya.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: A gretsch worth checking out.   A gretsch worth checking out. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:09 am

My Spectra Sonic and CR have been buddies since they met.

I wonder how well that relationship will last once a blondeshell comes into the picture Smile.

I need to get a powertron + to see how that sounds in my SS
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: A gretsch worth checking out.   A gretsch worth checking out. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:17 am

there is a reconditioned 63' Blonde 6G6-B waiting for your spectrasonic..just say the
word and fullerton history goes to the midwest UPS ground.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: A gretsch worth checking out.   A gretsch worth checking out. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 1:02 pm

I can't do that, The spectra sonic has made a fool of both my tele and lp. It's now telling me to ditch them for more gretsches, and a blonde and brownface amps Twisted Evil

It's almost like that movie where the demonic car told it's teenage owner what to do Twisted Evil

I'm afraid if I got rid of it, it would more than likely come back to haunt me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A gretsch worth checking out.   A gretsch worth checking out. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A gretsch worth checking out.
Page 1 of 1