Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Amp questions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vic

vic

Amp questions Empty
PostSubject: Amp questions   Amp questions Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 7:22 am

Between HDVDL and a half dozen other music/gear forums I frequent, it amazes me the amount of expertise there is out there about guitars and amps. I've learned more in the past few years about equipment and playing than I did in my first 30 years as a player. But the problem with the internet is that there is sometimes too much info to digest and I was hoping some of you guys could simplify a few things I don't understand or point me in a direction where I could figue it out, here goes.

1. Fender amps have evolved over the years but there are eras with a certian tone style (tweed, blonde, black face, silver, modern) What makes them different, as in whats different about the circut and what was fender trying to achieve? I must confess, when people say they like that classic blackface tone vs tweed tone for example, I can't tell the difference. I've played tweed bassman reissues and twin reverbs that both sounded incredible, but I sure would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

2. What does "point to Point", "bias" and "class A" mean and why is it better?

I wonder if all this is all a bit like beer. After waisting a lot of time and money on the micro brew thing, I found out that I like coors in a can. (and yes, I prefer wine in box)
Back to top Go down
roland

roland

Amp questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp questions   Amp questions Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 2:24 pm

Yes! The quintessential questions every player is trying to get answers for. IMHO good equipment is good equipment. Doesn't matter what it says on the nameplate, if it's class a, b etc. Those things matter, when you can feel the difference. I wouldn't say, that certain nuances are audible. I think you have to feel them, when you play them and therefore you have to try all this different stuff, or worst case, buy all this stuff. Good equipment is tricky to handle. That is what most tonehunters know and most of the gearnerd try to ignore. Every venue you place your amp and play is different. You yourself have to know, how your amp works, when there is a glass front, when you can turn the volume up, when there is wood on the stage that absorbs etc. Sorry for not really answering, but, the quest for the right equipment will never be accomplished, so just try to find an amp that says class a, play it a few months in different venues, think if you like it, otherwise try something else, if you can afford it.
Oh, the second question is more technical, so, just a short note:
point to point: soldering the single parts and connecting them via wire (?) and not placing them on a board with an outline of connections on it (not that technical, sorry).
bias: regulates the amount of electricity a tube becomes (please correct me!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.rolandnovak.com, www.desperatecowboys.com
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Amp questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp questions   Amp questions Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 10:44 am

I WUZZzz all excited to answer your questions sans hyperbole but then you said you like
cheap beer in a can and wine in a box. Shocked Smile

ps.
One thing to first mention, if you turn any fender amp on but never “turn it up” you’re
Not gonna hear much of anything cept for a bit of preamp tone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Sponsored content

Amp questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amp questions   Amp questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amp questions
Page 1 of 1