Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Don't mess with a big band

Go down 
+17
Nasse68
Brett
scamperoo
wee mark
Brent
johnnykool327
mjcodina
sidelake bob
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
steve
Jess
donpepe
Scatman
Twenty Flight Rick
pony65k
webelvis
Madman
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Madman

Madman

Don't mess with a big band Empty
PostSubject: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 10:44 am

Does anyone have any track(inside) info on this "new" live album? Which concert is it? Any gems?
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Only information I could find at the moment was the amazon page which already tells you the price and release date.

http://www.amazon.com/Setzer-Brian-Orchestra-Dont-Mess-Band/dp/B003K7B6VC
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 4:28 pm

On the BS website it says it's from the 2009 Japan Tour. Go to the read more section.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 4:20 am

I've just seen the set list and it's a complete disappointmet...
Apart from Batman Theme and a couple of tracks from Wolfgang's... nothing that hasn't already been released on a live show (Live in Japan or One Rockin' Night). On that tour there were many great songs that were left out... peggy sue, maybe baby, orange blossom special, boil them cabbage down, ring of fire, cry baby.... It's once again the same and i'm starting to get a bit tired of this... it would have been much better a Stray Cats Farewell Tour album instead!
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 4:36 am

I just went to the website, but didn't see where a set list was posted. Have they made this info available?
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:36 am

From cduniverse.com:

Don't Mess With A Big Band CD DISC 1:
1. Batman
2. Drive Like Lightning (Crash Like Thunder)
3. '49 Mercury Blues
4. Good Rockin' Daddy
5. Your True Love
6. Dirty Boogie, The
7. Sleepwalk
8. Honey Man
9. This Cat's On a Hot Tin Roof
10. Summertime Blues

Don't Mess With A Big Band Songs DISC 2:
1. Runaway Boys
2. Gina
3. Gene & Eddie
4. Fishnet Stockings
5. Stray Cat Strut
6. Jump Jive an' Wail
7. Rumble In Brighton
8. Rock This Town
9. House is Rockin'
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 2:37 pm

From the spiel:

"Because we have released live material before at various stages of Brian's career, many of the songs will have been previously released from other concerts ("The Ultimate Collection," "Red Hot & Live," etc.). So look at the track listing and know what you're getting!"

You shouldn't be disappointed if you read this. I'm still going to buy it, I'm still going to love it. I think the band will be really tight at this stage, so there will be slight subtleties that will make this release different and unique.

Bring it on!!!!

But Jon, live Stray Cat's Farewell Tour.....Hell Yeah!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Hey,
yes definetely you know what you're getting but f********* hell!!! If they know what they are putting on, they should do something different... where's Maybe Baby, Ring Of Fire etc etc that have never been released and now there is a chance to do so???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Official Website also says...

"Surfdog has made a lot of live recordings from Brian's shows over the
years. As we've listened we realized we've captured some insanely
great music and wickedly sick guitar playing!! We went to Brian and
asked if we can start making some of these available, 'cuz (after
hearing what we've got) we're sure other people will wanna hear them
too!

Lots of these tours and shows have been put out there into the market
without our consent as terrible-quality bootlegs. With Surfdog's
releases, while we want to purposely keep all of them in their true,
pure, unfixed, un-overdubbed form, we have gone to great effort to
ensure top-level audio and great packaging so that fans actually get a
top-quality experience."

Slim "Jon" Phantom says:
if we, the fans, had listened to those gigs before putting them into the market, many other AND DIFFERENT songs would have seen the light. The reasons why bootlegs (AND I CAN TELL YOU FIRST HAND AS A VERY VERY VERY HARD COLLECTOR) do exist is because they offer something different that official released HAVE NEVER OFFERED. Great packaging is also provided sometimes.... so I don't really see the difference...

I might be a bit stubborn sumtimes but... wtf!! I think I'm more than right!!!!
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 9:45 pm

Jon I agree, at least the other cd could have been made as "special" cd with rare gems etc. There are lots of
good unreleasesd songs, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:39 am

I guess you all know what I'm going to say....... VINYL PLEASE Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Hahah, Jess, just to tease you up... Lonely Avenue ;-)
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 1:23 am

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
Hahah, Jess, just to tease you up... Lonely Avenue ;-)

I forgot about that one, but still, got them all in my collection Very Happy
Back to top Go down
steve

steve

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 5:27 pm

Yes, I too am always hungry for new live stuff, but too many repeats for me. I know Rock This.... and Strut probably have to be included for the casual fan, but there are other obscure songs that could be included instead. Also, I have always wondered why Gene and Eddie has always had such a frequent re-occurence in the trio sets over all the other WAY stronger Cats songs.
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Gene and Eddie   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 10:48 pm

I absolutely hate Gene and Eddie, always have. I can see why he might play it occasionaly live, as lots of artists do a a medley of old songs ........but why it was ever put on an album or played at every single show is beyond me. From the original on Blast Off to all its live recordings, it's just cabaret. I HATE it with a passion. It's the one Setzer tune, that I would never play for anyone else as I think it makes a seriously good Rocker sound like a wedding singer.
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 10:58 pm

A new live album is better than nothing but why not a 10 cd box with all the odd live songs surfdog have, Packed like a vinylbox dedicated to Jess Wink

Just like Bear familys Cochran box
http://www.bear-family.de/repertoire/rocknroll-bearfamily/somethin-else-8-cd-box-with-192-page-book.html
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 12:56 am

sidelake bob wrote:
A new live album is better than nothing but why not a 10 cd box with all the odd live songs surfdog have, Packed like a vinylbox dedicated to Jess Wink

Just like Bear familys Cochran box
http://www.bear-family.de/repertoire/rocknroll-bearfamily/somethin-else-8-cd-box-with-192-page-book.html

Now you talking cheers
Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:05 am

Last edited by mjcodina on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
johnnykool327

johnnykool327

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 11:19 pm

I will admit I am a whore and will be buying the album.

My main reasoning is to hear the energy, the solos, and the changes. I know we have a lot of these recordings already, but, I am thinking of the snowflakes. I am excited to see the differences.

I will add that I would love to see Surfdog throw all of their live tracks online at 99 cents a piece so we could pick and choose.

Still buying this damn cd.

BK
Back to top Go down
http://kingawayretrievers.com
steve

steve

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 7:02 am

I absolutely hate Gene and Eddie, always have. I can see why he might play it occasionaly live, as lots of artists do a a medley of old songs ........but why it was ever put on an album or played at every single show is beyond me. From the original on Blast Off to all its live recordings, it's just cabaret. I HATE it with a passion. It's the one Setzer tune, that I would never play for anyone else as I think it makes a seriously good Rocker sound like a wedding singer.[b]

Ha hahaha---I guess that is what I REALLY wanted to say! Right on my brutha!
Back to top Go down
Brent

Brent

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 7:24 am

Ditto Steve...
Back to top Go down
http://tigersharks.ca
wee mark

wee mark

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 11:47 am

I look forward to any new release, something to look forward too. Plus artwork and a bit of reading.
Jess ask's for vinyl, i 2nd that. BUT,................Not if its the poor quality that was "Songs from lonely avenue"

I took it off the platter, it was that dreadful! I love my vinyl too.

Mark.
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 1:42 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
scamperoo

scamperoo

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 12:35 pm

that's it for me now, this will be the 1st BSO release l will not be buying, it's just pointless, Wolfgang was bad enough, he/they (SD) know that pretty much the same people will buy anything they release and also that the numbers of fans will not swell much and this does extend a licence for him to follow his muse. Having said that SFLA is great except for the 2 instros that split the album in the middle l think Dimes in the Jar is one of the best things he's done for years, but this new live lp is nothing but a surfdog cash in however the cover if the image on the web site, if correct looks great, so it's goodnight 'til whenever from me
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:21 pm

i listen to "Summertime Blues" and it was a new version to me. Acoustic guitar, bass & drum.
I like it and i will buy the new album.
There is so much crappy music out so i`m glad people like Brian Setzer doing every year a new release.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with a big band   Don't mess with a big band Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don't mess with a big band
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next