Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
I'm Incinerator

70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Empty
PostSubject: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:00 am

Does anyone have any experience(s) with one of these? These have recently hit my radar screen due to one of these being used on a couple of records that I really dig right now (The Black Keys: Brothers, and Hacienda: Big Red & Barbacoa), and the same Musicmaster bass amp was used on both records.

I find them to be very interesting with the center tap(?) transformer being used as a phase inverter instead of a tube. and at 12ish watts I can definitely crank it at home. I've heard that a clipping of one of the capacitors (C1?), it can knock down some headroom, and I imagine replacing the CTS or whatever speaker came in there with a good greenback or something like that could be better?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 10:55 am

These things sound HIDEOUS unless you mod the EQ circuit. I actually
modded mine with a champ tone circuit and put a JBL in it.

..but stock eeesh. Especially because they tried to go hifi with the transformer
as a phase inverter.. its not a good thing tonally man. Smile

btw.. it was akorkos who steered me in the direction of the eq mods, that
dude knows alot for being a dentist Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 10:47 am

interesting, I've heard that mods could make things sound better, and I've heard these were lousy bass amps, but I didn't know they stunk for guitars in stock form.

Did you change out the caps for different values to cut out headroom? I've heard that speaker swaps do wonders also.

The reason I ask is because I talked to the guitarist from Hacienda, Dante, and he used one of these all over their new album "Big Red & Barbacoa", not sure which guitars he used. There were a few Gibsons/epi's and Tele's mostly, but it was a great tone for sure.

Akorkos seems to know his stuff, I remember checking out some of his home builds on the TH forum back in the day. Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:07 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
interesting, I've heard that mods could make things sound better, and I've heard these were lousy bass amps, but I didn't know they stunk for guitars in stock form.

Did you change out the caps for different values to cut out headroom? I've heard that speaker swaps do wonders also.

The reason I ask is because I talked to the guitarist from Hacienda, Dante, and he used one of these all over their new album "Big Red & Barbacoa", not sure which guitars he used. There were a few Gibsons/epi's and Tele's mostly, but it was a great tone for sure.

Akorkos seems to know his stuff, I remember checking out some of his home builds on the TH forum back in the day. Good stuff!

hideous as stock, horrendous for bass.. but mod-able. I recapped, re-speakers and even built a better tone circuit as well as putting in an original altec JBL(fender) alnico in it.

too much work and money..

are you talkin about Dave Gonzales of the Hacienda Bros? He usually plays his guild signature right?
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:55 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

hideous as stock, horrendous for bass.. but mod-able. I recapped, re-speakers and even built a better tone circuit as well as putting in an original altec JBL(fender) alnico in it.

too much work and money..

are you talkin about Dave Gonzales of the Hacienda Bros? He usually plays his guild signature right?

sounds like it...I thought it'd be a cool little amp to have as a low wattage option someday after I picked up a blonde!

Not Hacienda Bros, just Hacienda (I can see the confusion). They're a band out of the South Texas/San Antonio area. It's really hard to pin point their sound...a lot of 50's and early 60's r-n-r with tons of pop, soul, and a little blues influence...good stuff. Their first album is really mellow and Beach Boys-esque. Their newest album shows what they can do a little more, I think.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 1:05 pm

ah not Mr. Paladin!

I think you might dig a Bronco II
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 2:58 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
ah not Mr. Paladin!

ya lost me there... Smile

I may check one of those bronco II's out. There are quite a few small amps out there that I'd like to get my hands on, but I would like to have some fun with a bigger amp, since I've been fun with small amps for a while. Small vintage amps seem to be pricey these days, the mainstream ones anyway.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 3:07 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
ah not Mr. Paladin!

I may check one of those bronco II's out. There are quite a few small amps out there that I'd like to get my hands on, but I would like to have some fun with a bigger amp, since I've been fun with small amps for a while. Small vintage amps seem to be pricey these days, the mainstream ones anyway.

dave gonzales = Palladins

Fender Bronco II affordable small, tone fun?
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Dave plays about anything with Hacienda Brothers and the Stone River Boys, even Danos!

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 1:04 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
ah not Mr. Paladin!

Ah, I gotcha now...yesterday was a long day!

btw, I just got your FB comment! I still have a tiny bit of beard, but I no longer wear hippie hair! Well, the hippie hair went away last year. I just decided to get some style back into the wig. Gotta look sharp in my "old age" afro
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
ah not Mr. Paladin!

btw, I just got your FB comment! I still have a tiny bit of beard, but I no longer wear hippie hair! Well, the hippie hair went away last year. I just decided to get some style back into the wig. Gotta look sharp in my "old age" afro

Maybe the cleaned up James Hetfield look is for you ala hotrods and metal
70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Hetfield
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 3:24 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
ah not Mr. Paladin!

Maybe the cleaned up James Hetfield look is for you ala hotrods and metal
70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Hetfield

not knocking James Hetfield, but a little too greasy for me Smile Not much of a metal head, but I do like hotrods and classic cars
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 4:09 pm

one must watch the Metallica and San Francisco Philharmonic Orchestra DVD in order
to truly appreciate James Hetfield.. the other guys in the band...eehhh not so much.
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 10:10 am

I'm sure my brother has that one...

btw, how many spots are left for your run of Blondeshells?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 10:58 am

I'm Incinerator wrote:

Its a 100% prepay so when youre ready, I go. Smile our Oz friend Pete Poropat is
gonna be build#2 (buzz campbell got #1)
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

Its a 100% prepay so when youre ready, I go. Smile our Oz friend Pete Poropat is

awesome! I saw the cab you're building for Buzz Campbell's, that is some honky-tonk chic right there!

Are the headcabs tolex/grill cloth a customer pick? Or is it an upcharge for anything other than blonde and wheat? I like the blonde and wheat/gold combo, but the blackface/tuxedo look is killer as well.

Also, I was nosing around ebay for bassman, and I found a seller that's selling off bassman repro cabs for 200 bucks unloaded...I wonder if they are as good as Mojotone? I'll have to find the sellers name again.
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 11:29 am

bandmateusa1 is the ebay seller.

Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 11:41 am

I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

awesome! I saw the cab you're building for Buzz Campbell's, that is some honky-tonk chic right there!

Are the headcabs tolex/grill cloth a customer pick? Or is it an upcharge for anything other than blonde and wheat? I like the blonde and wheat/gold combo, but the blackface/tuxedo look is killer as well.

Also, I was nosing around ebay for bassman, and I found a seller that's selling off bassman repro cabs for 200 bucks unloaded...I wonder if they are as good as Mojotone? I'll have to find the sellers name again.

at first I was really stuck on staying blonde but the more I think about it, the more my penchant for custom paint on nocturnes makes me think maybe that should be the thing for the amps too. at least 4 choices?
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 12:50 pm

options are a double edged sword sometimes Smile

I myself would be torn between the blonde look and the transitional. It does seem easier to get a blackface motif speaker cab, though...I will cross that bridge when I get to it in a couple months.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp   70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp
Page 1 of 1