Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded

Go down 
+8
knudi
vic
mkunie
Rickabilly
enjay07
gretschoholic
tvthewiredturtle
Daddio
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Daddio

Daddio

another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Empty
PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 4:25 am

You can wipe out all the posts, but I still don't like pick guards. The flowers are just around the bend for me. Hat? Cattle? Cowboy? Wholesale vs retail? That's not a comparison, matey!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 7:36 am

dont have a clue what happened to the posts, I'll have to find out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 9:11 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
dont have a clue what happened to the posts, I'll have to find out.

This is kinda weird, 'cos when I tried to log on to the forum earlier today (about seven hours ago), it (yup, the whole forum) was GONE!!! I waited for a while, then tried again, and it was back. But all the posts in this thread - and a few others, I think - were blank. Aaah, the wonderful world of computers... scratch

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
enjay07

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Anders--
I had the same problem last night when I was trying to read the board. Every single thread I tried to read came up with a funky error message. And even if you look at this thread right now, it shows it was started by TV, yet Daddio is the 1st post shown.

I didn't want to say anything, but apparently others have noticed too. At first I thought I'd been banned from the board. But then I thought hopefully the moderators would be nice enough to send me a note on my real e-mail telling me I'd been banned.

I'm starting to feel like I'm in a Stephen King novel or movie. Kinda like we're all being watched. I'm not trying to be "doomy & gloomy" but last night really shook me up. (fade in scary music....) silent

I'll go back upstairs now. (clump, clump, clump, creeeeeek, BAM!)
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 1:39 pm

enjay07 wrote:
Anders--
I had the same problem last night when I was trying to read the board. Every single thread I tried to read came up with a funky error message. And even if you look at this thread right now, it shows it was started by TV, yet Daddio is the 1st post shown.

I didn't want to say anything, but apparently others have noticed too. At first I thought I'd been banned from the board. But then I thought hopefully the moderators would be nice enough to send me a note on my real e-mail telling me I'd been banned.

I'm starting to feel like I'm in a Stephen King novel or movie. Kinda like we're all being watched. I'm not trying to be "doomy & gloomy" but last night really shook me up. (fade in scary music....) silent

I'll go back upstairs now. (clump, clump, clump, creeeeeek, BAM!)

I'm feeling stupid because I AM A MODERATOR but have not heard a thing from
my compadres about this conundrum... I am clueless at the moment sorry
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 1:57 pm

?
Back to top Go down
mkunie

mkunie

PostSubject: HEYYA!   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 2:57 pm

TV I been trying to get up with you about the ES295
I just upacked my new one about 1 hour ago!
Seems like I need to change the strings.. Otherwise, I am amazed at the sound..
I also got the Fender Super Champ XD.. Goes perfect! Also has THAT sound built in!!!!!
Anyway, Is it Easy to get a roller bridge and Tuning Machines and swap 'em out easily?
Remember who you are dealing with.
I mean a screw replacement is easy.
I really Love the Epi I have and Had the 5120 This Guitar is by far well built!
I appreciate ANY help you can get beck with me

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 3:04 pm

mkunie wrote:
TV I been trying to get up with you about the ES295
I just upacked my new one about 1 hour ago!
Seems like I need to change the strings.. Otherwise, I am amazed at the sound..
I also got the Fender Super Champ XD.. Goes perfect! Also has THAT sound built in!!!!!
Anyway, Is it Easy to get a roller bridge and Tuning Machines and swap 'em out easily?
Remember who you are dealing with.
I mean a screw replacement is easy.
I really Love the Epi I have and Had the 5120 This Guitar is by far well built!
I appreciate ANY help you can get beck with me

I'll email ya...btw. I'm going to delete your personal info from this post as you dont
want it floating around the net
Back to top Go down
mkunie

mkunie

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 3:10 pm

Thanks and sorry
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 3:23 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
?

I started a thread regarding how nicely built and quality sounding the Epi ES-295 is
and posted picts of it after I had 'rodded it with tvjones p'trons,sperzels,alum drilled,saddles,etc.

Daddio commented that it was almost as much as buying a fender built Nashville by
the time you do all that to it, and my response was that this guitar is avail all over the
net for $500 used.
I also pointed out that I have never paid more than $1250 for a used terada factory gretsch
including setzer hotrods..... then bammo the entire posts were erased for no good reason.

Was it that I pointed out that 5XXX series are very heavy and sound more like gibson than an upline gretsch or that epiphone builds quality instruments that make electromatics seem more like squier guitars.

I dont know... I dont like electromatics and I think that if you have $500-700 to spare for
a maple box rockabilly hollowbody, electromatics are a waste of time from a guitar builders point of view. My son has had his eye on the electromatic double cutaway and
when I got this epi ES-295 finished, his jaw dropped. He straight up came into the room and said "epiphone really builds good guitars".

i'm all about getting the best bang for your buck with the ability to upgrade its engine
and see something good get really good. After modding many 5XXXX guitars and hearing them just sort of "cleanup" it wasnt worth the customers time or money for
me to do it.... BUT in the case of Epiphone Dot deluxes, Regents, ES-295s,ES-175s,etc
they ALL sound, feel and perform at least 50% better than stock.

Gretsch electromatics look cooler, but from a #1 gretsch fan that has to be honest (I am a gretsch fan till death, I've got gretsch tattoos on both arms) Epi wins the korean guitar
import award in my book. ...and Tvjones makes em sound awesome!!

another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded L_c365759eccac1cb259ebe6d935608b63
Back to top Go down
Daddio

Daddio

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 5:35 pm

OK, Tavo. Just get rid of the pick guard, flowery or not! Very Happy
I'm just sayin' my Electro ain't so bad. Sure it needs some upgrading, but, so does your Epi. I'm no builder or dealer so I compare retail as I have no wholesale access. I figured 99.9375421% of the others on this board are in a similar situation. Common sense would say try the Electro, try the Epi, try the Ibanez, etc, etc, etc. Buy what feels and sounds right, not what some internet "guru" tells you to buy. No "Diss" on you, Tavo, I'm just not an absolutist when it comes to some things. I'd wager lots of guitars, amps, etc have had the "it" factor for you over the years that eventually faded over time, just like for anyone else. You get what you pay for in this life and lots of people have spent bigger money than what we're talking about and felt dissatisfied after getting up close and personal with the item. Don't get me wrong, brother, in no way do I think you're steering people wrong, I just feel all this is just opinion based on unknown knowledge and experience and should be considered as such. That Epi/Gibson is no slouch, I'm sure, but the Electro is far from the trash you seem to consider it. Laughing
But, that's just my opinion!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 6:05 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

I dont know... I dont like electromatics and I think that if you have $500-700 to spare for
a maple box rockabilly hollowbody, electromatics are a waste of time from a guitar builders point of view. ]

Go easy on the electromatics TV, think of them as a gateway drug. Give it a little time and we'll all be beggin ya for the good stuff. A 6120 in every garage, and an El sondio in every pot.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 7:00 pm

Thanks for the lengthy reply to my "?" post, TV. It was a fascinating read. Only my "?" was an edit of a post where I speculated on why several days worth of posts had disappeared and why we were locked out last night. I said:

Perhaps it had something to do with the Yoko virus that occasionally plagued the Official Forum.

But that was inappropriate and wrong, so I deleted it, replacing the sentence with a "?"

Ya dig?

Editorial-billy
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 7:02 pm

vic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

a maple box rockabilly hollowbody, electromatics are a waste of time from a guitar builders point of view. ]

Go easy on the electromatics TV, think of them as a gateway drug. Give it a little time and we'll all be beggin ya for the good stuff. A 6120 in every garage, and an El sondio in every pot.

I'm just saying that when it comes to having to spend your hard cash, you can have the look or you
can have the sound. FWIW.. the Gretsch Anniv. 6118, 6117, and 6119 are all avail. for around $900
new if you look hard.
I still think its crazy to blow $595+tax on an electromatic... but yes it is an opinion only. Although
I have had to work very hard on these 5 series from the tuners,nuts,saddles and electronics to
make them do the job. And... I am totally happy to charge $35 per hr labor to add fries to anyones big mac! Smile

ps. c'mon daddio..flowers work in the rockabilly world to some degree.
I got one smack in the center of my left arm

another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded M_2da2270dba5473ba9567e90b941a780a
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 7:51 pm

I'll admit in my shallowness that "the Look" is a big part of it. There I said it. My name is Vic, and I'm wanna-be Gretsch owner.

Sort of a derail here, but sort of along the same lines. I'm watching the Barrett Jackson auctions right now, 245 large for a 69 Boss Mustang 429 that is too perfect to drive is crazy.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 8:44 pm

vic wrote:
I'll admit in my shallowness that "the Look" is a big part of it. There I said it. My name is Vic, and I'm wanna-be Gretsch owner.

Sort of a derail here, but sort of along the same lines. I'm watching the Barrett Jackson auctions right now, 245 large for a 69 Boss Mustang 429 that is too perfect to drive is crazy.

that would be a great excuse for a 3 1/2hr drive to debauchery !!
btw.. thanks for the distraction I just googled the boss and now I have two boys staring over my
shoulder when they're suppose to be in bed (sez mom) at this website:
http://www.truveo.com/BJ-69-Mustang-BOSS-429/id/3671993319

we got excited over the unimov by mercedes for its middle finger to tree huggers capabilities
only $80K!!
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 pm

I hear ya brother. I spent the weekend looking at a 63 galaxie that burned gas just sitting there. The quadrajet was indeed a beautiful thing, built for a people that ran the world on Detroit steel. I walked away from the deal though. Just not enough time for that big of a project right now. I like the 62 better anyway. It has more room on the door for a bigger Mayberry PD emblem. I got to get that squad car done before the boy gets hissef all growed up.

Mandi, ever consider a car/hotrod section to the forums?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 1:02 pm

vic wrote:
I hear ya brother. I spent the weekend looking at a 63 galaxie that burned gas just sitting there. The quadrajet was indeed a beautiful thing, built for a people that ran the world on Detroit steel. I walked away from the deal though. Just not enough time for that big of a project right now. I like the 62 better anyway. It has more room on the door for a bigger Mayberry PD emblem. I got to get that squad car done before the boy gets hissef all growed up.

Mandi, ever consider a car/hotrod section to the forums?

you want me to start one? We have hotrodwalt who's noted builder! You workin
on one too? I started rebuilding a mild kustom 54' buick 4 yrs ago, but ran outa
money after I shot it with hotrod flats black satin this last spring.
I'll get busy talkin with mandi
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 1:58 pm

I vote for starting one. I waist way too much time on the mopar forum looking at threads like this:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

And I take full responsibility for officially derailing this thread
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 2:35 pm

vic wrote:
I vote for starting one. I waist way too much time on the mopar forum looking at threads like this:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

And I take full responsibility for officially derailing this thread

and I too at Team Buicks Nailhead forum:
http://www.teambuick.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76

my buick before I got rid of the flames
another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded 54kustom

now with the new paint, bumper over rides and headlamp covers
Back to top Go down
Daddio

Daddio

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 3:09 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
vic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

I'm just saying that when it comes to having to spend your hard cash, you can have the look or you
can have the sound. FWIW.. the Gretsch Anniv. 6118, 6117, and 6119 are all avail. for around $900
new if you look hard.
I still think its crazy to blow $595+tax on an electromatic... but yes it is an opinion only. Although
I have had to work very hard on these 5 series from the tuners,nuts,saddles and electronics to
make them do the job. And... I am totally happy to charge $35 per hr labor to add fries to anyones big mac! Smile

another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded M_2da2270dba5473ba9567e90b941a780a

Where? Oh, there it is! cheers
Inked flowers are ok, imho, pick guard flowers= Evil or Very Mad
BTW, only $35/hr? I think you're a little low, but, the market will only allow so much!
What this board needs is a flower guru! Any volunteers? Hmmmm? pirat
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 4:27 pm

Daddio wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
vic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

new if you look hard.

Where? Oh, there it is! cheers
Inked flowers are ok, imho, pick guard flowers= Evil or Very Mad
BTW, only $35/hr? I think you're a little low, but, the market will only allow so much!
What this board needs is a flower guru! Any volunteers? Hmmmm? pirat

$35 /hr sez I steal the next guys customer !! BTW....
since you are such a hater of Les Pauls flower guitar design I pulled out the vintage
water decal from italy sitting in my tool cab for yrs..."lady luck" will help calm your fears of my metrosezual tendencies toward cowboy flowers and liberal use of clubman hairspray and layrite pomade. dont forget to powder the pits with clubman talc for men!!

behold the lady:
another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded L_9a7e84b811944c1eb943e34d0f46b490
Back to top Go down
knudi

knudi

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:12 pm

[quote="tvthewiredturtle"][quote="Daddio"][quote="tvthewiredturtle"][quote="vic"]
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

behold the lady:
another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded L_9a7e84b811944c1eb943e34d0f46b490

That is a lovely Bassman, is that one you have restored yourself ?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:00 am

[quote="knudi"][quote="tvthewiredturtle"][quote="Daddio"][quote="tvthewiredturtle"]
vic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

behold the lady:

Thanks!
This was restored by Tophat Amps maker Brian Gerhard. The cab is not original its an early fender custom shop tonemaster that was regrilled to sparkle gold (early 64) and "aged/relic'd", respeakered w/ celest. V30s from ipswich and wired with 12gauge harness.

I love this thing.
Back to top Go down
knudi

knudi

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:45 am

[quote="tvthewiredturtle"][quote="knudi"][quote="tvthewiredturtle"][quote="Daddio"]
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
vic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

behold the lady:

Thanks!
This was restored by Tophat Amps maker Brian Gerhard. The cab is not original its an early fender custom shop tonemaster that was regrilled to sparkle gold (early 64) and "aged/relic'd", respeakered w/ celest. V30s from ipswich and wired with 12gauge harness.

I love this thing.

So if I were to ask Mojo if they could make a similar the grill should be sparkle gold and blonde tolex.
Is it the Vintage G12V30 which are together with 4 ohm ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded   another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

another econo, but well built billy box gets hotrodded
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next