Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive

Go down 
+14
Budgie
Pistol Pete
Sharky
tvthewiredturtle
penguin
Brett
steve
MJ
johnnykool327
donpepe
Twenty Flight Rick
Scatman
gretschoholic
Rickabilly
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Empty
PostSubject: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 11:06 am

This is on the Official Setzer Site today:

Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Bso-cca-cover-500px

As we mentioned earlier this summer, we're going to continue making available various live material from the archives. Some new, some old. On October 12th comes the sizzlin' live Christmas album called "Christmas Comes Alive!" Taken mostly from the BSO's 2009 show in Knoxville, TN, this 15-song CD is guaranteed to put some rockin' in your egg nog!

Then...two weeks later on October 26th, we've got more Setzer-show comin' your way. And this time you'll get to hear AND see it! This is the gig that everyone's been asking for -- the BSO's amazing performance, opening the Montreal Jazz Festival in front of 200,000 people, will be on DVD!! The show looks and sounds spectacular. We're honestly so proud of this that, if you buy it directly from Surfdog's website, watch it and if you don't LOVE it,send it back within two weeks and we'll write you a check for your money back! It's that good! (We can only do this if you buy directly from us since we don't have these kind of returns agreements with 3rd-party retailers like Amazon or physical retail stores). Every song from that night is included along with bonus footage from the pre-show press conference. (If you want the stand-alone audio, that will be available too, digital only, through iTunes and most all other digital stores).

Very smart! A live Christmas CD, which will bring holiday cheer to some, while others might roll their eyes at the flogging of a dead reindeer. But then, a release that should be embraced by most, if not all, Setzer fans: a fantastic live DVD (with audio available!) of June 25th's Montreal show! Everyone wins! A proper live DVD of an entire concert and a bit of holiday cheer.

After listening to "Don't Mess With a Big Band," I immediately went back to the Montreal webcast and said "THIS is the show they should release." With the fadeouts between tunes, the dropped lyrics and the missed opportunities on DMWABB (was that really the best version of "The House is a-Rockin'" they had in the vaults from that tour?) I thought there had to be a better show, or collection of tunes, with the BSO at the top of their game, out there somewhere for the next "From the Vaults" release. Certainly, the Montreal show is that. Hopefully, the Christmas show will be great as well.

I can't wait to get my hands, ears, and eyes on these releases. I purchase them to support the "From the Vaults" concept, in hopes that there will be a Bernie Dresel-era BSO show, trio, Nashvillains, or 68 CBS show coming soon!

Now about that instrumental "guitars-only" album...

Vault-a-billy

Last edited by Rickabilly on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
I purchase them to support the "From the Vaults" concept, in hopes that there will be a Bernie Dresel-era BSO show, trio, Nashvillains, or 68 CBS show coming soon!

I'm with you, Rick. Guess I never really understood how important Bernie Dresel obviously was to the BSO sound untill I bought "Don't Mess With a Big Band". Not that Tony Pia's a bad drummer, but Bernie's in a whole 'nother league... Oh, and I miss Mark Winchester too... silent

Anders

Last edited by gretschoholic on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Is that Imelda May sittin on that rocket ?????
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 4:24 pm

That's very exciting news indeed! Thanks for posting that Rick! I too support the concept and will be there on both release days!
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:31 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
I purchase them to support the "From the Vaults" concept, in hopes that there will be a Bernie Dresel-era BSO show, trio, Nashvillains, or 68 CBS show coming soon!

Hear hear!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:35 am

Geez, I've just surfed the net in search of the new Xmas live CD for the tracking list and I honestly dont understand that "live from the vault" thing... nothing new on that CD!!!

it contains 15 tracks and the only difference I see in comparison to the Xmas Extrtavaganza DVD is that this new release includes Angels Have We Heard On High... no Batman, no Trouble Train, no Lonely Avenue.... what's this??

Can anyone explain to me why Surfdog have been recording all the Setzer gigs since 2004 to just put the same stuff over and over again???

The only thing I am happy with is with the Montreal DVD as it comes with two or three new tracks, but the rest is pretty much Live In Japan + Live In Montreal thing.... geez... And on DMWABB I was expecting something new like Cry Baby, Ring Of Fire.... dunno, not the "rare stuff" such as Runaway Boys, Rock This Town or Stray Cat Strut....
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:56 am

Tracklisting: (from CD Universe)

1. Dig That Crazy Santa Claus
2. Sleigh Ride
3. Boogie Woogie Santa Claus
4. Winter Wonderland
5. Santa Claus is Back In Town
6. Man With the Bag
7. Stray Cat Strut/You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch
8. 'Zat You Santa Claus?
9. Angels We Have Heard On High
10. Run Rudolph Run
11. Jingle Bell Rock
12. Blue Christmas
13. Fishnet Stockings
14. Nutcracker Suite, The
15. Jingle Bells

Quote :
it contains 15 tracks and the only difference I see in comparison to the Xmas Extrtavaganza DVD is that this new release includes Angels Have We Heard On High... no Batman, no Trouble Train, no Lonely Avenue.... what's this??

First of all, it's a Christmas CD. And a live one at that. We've never had that before (at least not in CD format). Secondly, I didn't realize Batman and Trouble Train were Christmas tunes. I believe chestnuts were roasting on an open fire, not a Ring of Fire.

This latest release is not meant to replicate an entire show - only the Christmas portion. From a collector's standpoint I understand you would want an entire show. But I actually like having the Christmas tunes distilled from the rest of the non-Christmas tunes. If I put it on for the holidays, I don't have to explain why Rumble In Brighton or Rock This Town is on an otherwise perfect mix of holiday tunes.

It makes me realize how saturated the Christmas tours have been with the Yuletide tunes, and how much I enjoy non-holiday shows like the one on the Montreal DVD. In any case, less bitching and more buying eventually may get you what you want.

Personally, I'd love to see a "Best of the Trio Sets" collection. Although you may have to tweak it to the "Little Big Band: Best of the Small Groups," as songs like "For Lisa" incorporate more than three players - and sometimes less. I saw Brian play "Just Because" all alone during the 2005 BSO Tour opener. It was fantastic, though I don't think the crowd was ready for it. It sounded as though Brian was channeling Elvis, Scotty, and Bill. Of course, you'd probably have yet another version of Gene and Eddie... Ring of Fire, with the trumpets... man, that'd be something to hear!

Hopefully, those songs Brian played just once or twice are up to a quality Brian would feel comfortable releasing and worth paying whatever royalties are due for the right to release a covered song - those fees are getting more outlandish all the time.

I think if Surfdog continues the "From the Vaults" series, they're bound to come up with something for everyone sooner or later. I think I'll be able to take away enough unique moments from each collection of tunes to make the purchase well worth it for me. I look forward to the next release.

Stocking Stuffer-billy

Last edited by Rickabilly on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:47 am

OK, I see Fishnet Stockings is on there... hung by the chimney with care, no doubt.

Wop-bop-a-du-bop, Christmas Stockings-billy
Back to top Go down
johnnykool327

johnnykool327

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:04 pm

I have already sent a heads up email to the powers at Surfdog that I will be typing my credit card info as fast as possible into their order page as soon as it comes up.

I love the idea of the live Christmas CD, I think it will be really fun, as they had several extensions to songs when we saw them this last November.

Now, the DVD, I think anything I say will just be covered up by the drool I will be emitting in excitement.

Is it out yet?

-BK
Back to top Go down
http://kingawayretrievers.com
MJ

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 8:10 am

I will probably buy the XMas cd- I'll buy anything Setzer (yes, I drink the grape koolaid) even though I am not totally stoked about the XMas cd. However, I cannot WAIT to see the Montreal DVD (and see The Brian on the big screen)! cheers
I agree- some more tunes that haven't been played over and over would be great on the next release.
Back to top Go down
steve

steve

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Holy sheeeeee!! Wow, awesome news! This almost makes up for no BSO Christmas tour 2010......NOT! However I just wanted to say about the drumming stuff on DMWTBB , yeah, at first I thought the "Stewart Copeland snare sound" sounded a little wierd but then I got used to it----I like Tony Pia, yep he's not Bernie, but he's still interesting. Also, I don't think the song selection on any compilation CD will EVER be perfect------just like life--hahahaha!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 12:53 pm

steve wrote:
-I like Tony Pia, yep he's not Bernie, but he's still interesting.

I agree, this guy can play. Makes no sense to compare. His fills and breaks are different to Bernies, but his beat is awesome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
penguin

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Brett wrote:

"Makes no sense to compare."

I agree. I think Tony is an excellent drummer. Completely different than Bernie but a good drummer. Brian obviously thinks so too.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 11:04 am

jazz drummers vs rock drummers = apples vs oranges
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 8:17 am

This is a fan site, so being overly critical is not going to be well-received by most around here. But to say you can't compare drummers, or that because Brian picked Tony Pia to be the BSO's drummer, we have no right to an opinion, is just blind sycophancy. It's just most people here are smarter than me and keep their opinions to themselves.

I don't think anyone here has said in this thread or on this board that Tony Pia is a bad drummer. When I said I want a Bernie Dresel-era recording from the vaults, it's because I think the band (including Brian) were at their best from about 1998-2005. Bernie was with the band several years before then. I think when the band was largely the same personnel, and touring more often, (not just Christmas tours and corporate gigs) and recording with greater regularity, the BSO was a tighter, more cohesive unit. And why wouldn't they be? If you were part of the group when the songs were created, rehearsed, and recorded, it's like the songs become part of your DNA, and that experience could give you an inherhent advantage over someone who takes your place several years later, especially if you're as talented as Bernie Dresel. Tony might hold an advantage on the Songs From Lonely Avenue material (I love Tony's hi-hat intro on Trouble Train). And Bernie, being the drummer all those years for not only the BSO, but the 68 CBS, Trio and Nashvillains, was the heartbeat of all of those groups - maybe even more so than Brian. Now the band's had a heart transplant. And they're still alive, thank God, but the blood isn't pumping quite as well as when the old ticker was in its prime, in my opinion.

I don't know how to describe it adequately, as it's largely a visceral thing. It just seems like that the drums breaks are stronger (compare the start of the Dirty Boogie and This Cat's On a Hot Tin Roof on the Ultimate Live vs DMWABB), the choices for fills fit better, and on the Trio material, it sounds like Bernie, Brian, and Spazz are listening to each other better. There is this descending line on Runaway Boys where Bernie (and Slim Jim) lock in on the triplet figures played by Brian and the bass player du jour (Mark, Spazz, or Lee Rocker) and the unison pounding that emits from the three players is incredibly powerful. When this same figure appears on DMWABB (and in the Montreal webcast), suddenly, it's a shuffle and it sounds as if everyone's hanging on for dear life. Maybe some of you like that better. I don't.

When I hear the phrase "From the Vaults," I expect something a little more vintage than 2 years or 2 months ago. Hopefully they'll go a little deeper into the vaults if this series continues, which I certainly hope it does.

Perhaps we've had plenty of prime material from Bernie Dresel-era groups, and they wanted the focus to be on a more current incarnation of the band for now. Maybe the quality of the more recent recordings are better. The BSO is certainly still a great band. And even with Bernie nowhere to be found on the upcoming releases, I'm happily plunking down those increasingly-scarce dollars on October 12th and 26th.

It's the beat! The beat! The beat!-a-billy

Last edited by Rickabilly on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My snarkiness detracted from otherwise thoughtful discussion)
Back to top Go down
Sharky

Sharky

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 8:25 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Yes -
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 9:29 am

Sharky wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Yes -

I second that!!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 10:02 am

Analytical isnt the same as critical.. I think you'll live to die another day
Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive 1

Last edited by tvthewiredturtle on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 am

Rickabilly wrote:
This is a fan site, so being overly critical is not going to be well-received by most around here. But to say you can't compare drummers, or that because Brian picked Tony Pia to be the BSO's drummer, we have no right to an opinion, is just blind sycophancy.

i had to check first what is the meaning of "sycophancy"? Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_eek
I never had the intention to judge any opinion. But it´s still my opinion comparing is pointless. These guys are different. And both are great musicians.
I`m not one of these people who want fight here. I don´t know enough english words for that.
Is this sycophancy? (i`ll never forget this word now).
No, it isn`t.

Rickabilly wrote:
It's the beat! The beat! The beat!-a-billy
yep, i agree... Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Budgie

Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 10:31 am

Brett wrote:
[i had to check first what is the meaning of "sycophancy"? Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_eek

I wish you would've posted it here so I don't have to look it up!!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sharky

Sharky

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 10:34 am

Budgie wrote:
Brett wrote:
[i had to check first what is the meaning of "sycophancy"? Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_eek

Very Happy

I'm not certain, but I think it might not be the same as a "Fancy Sicko" - - -
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 10:49 am

Budgie wrote:
Brett wrote:

Very Happy

Hey, it´s your smart friend...
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:06 am

Believe me, I've been accused of being a Setzer sycophant so many times, I eventually had to look the word up myself! Very Happy

If Tony Pia had started a metal band with Brian, then I think you truly couldn't compare Bernie and Tony. That would be a different band, a different style of music, and the comparisons would be unfair. But the fact is Tony Pia occupies a spot in the same rockin' BIG BAND that his formidable predecessor, Bernie Dresel, did. The same spot, the same songs... comparisons are only natural, although the difference in styles, backgrounds, and abilities might make it somewhat difficult.

I think the seat behind the drum kit is the second-most important position in the BSO, so it might merit more discussion than comparing third trumpet players. (That's not to say the other musicians aren't important. I would still pay to see this band if it were the Tim Messina Orchestra - I could listen to that cat all day long!)

But I will concede this: Bernie Dresel is a cut above most any other drummer you could name. If Brian had auditioned 1,000 drummers, I don't think he would have found another Bernie. Certainly no one of similar ability who could fly standby, forsaking all other jobs for the occasional corporate gig, festival, or on-again, off-again Christmas tour. The comparisons I've tried to make serve no point other than to state the obvious. Water is wet, the sky is blue, Bernie is better. Brian was lucky to have him, as were we all.

But Tony Pia is talented. And he is the drummer for one of my favorite bands ever, the Brian Setzer Orchestra. And that's good enough for me.

[/thread derail]

And to find out how good, kids, be sure to buy the Christmas Comes Alive CD and the Montreal Jazz Festival DVD this October! Very Happy

Bernicophant-a-billy

PS - Brett, you never said I couldn't compare drummers. You only said it makes no sense to compare. And you were right. I've re-read what I wrote, and even I can't make sense of it.

Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:43 am

I think this is a great discussion and I dont sense any emotional uprisings, I actually
feel this type of discussion is so much more beneficial than having 3 women on the
forum pissed at me and budgie for suggesting they bring sandwiches when they visit
the cave. Smile God knows I'm been pummeled for keeping this an English speaking
forum.. Youre on a groove, share it Rick and prepare for the onslaught of retalia...oops I mean interesting responses.

If it helps, you know my older son Dane has been going to the BSO shows in Los Angeles
since SetzerClaus came to town. This last year as the show began he said " I really miss Bernie. Tony is great but there was something about Bernie playing I really liked".

I have to add to this that my boy has actually met up w/ Bernie twice at Namm show
as well as with Spazz so he has emotional investment so to speak, in his comment.

Now the lil 7yr old on the other hand LOVES the Foo fighters and has his own 60s orange
sparkle drum kit so when he saw the BSO for the 3rd time (obviously a more coherent
age at this point) he went NUTS for Tony Pia's playing. He could identify with the
more "ontop" of the beat, hard hitting rock drummer Tony. Plus my lil one is a hot dog
and when Tony comes out and plays the floor with his sticks and spins his tom on the trio set.. this boy is star struck.

(forgot to insert the older boy has been playing cello in an orchestra since 2nd grade, so that maybe insightful to his affinity for Bernie as well)

...sh$t did I just waste 300words on mumble jumble??
Suspect Suspect
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 12:00 pm

I think the fact that Tony Pia has been a drummer for Spinal Tap and lived to tell about it speaks volumes about his survival skills.

Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Spinal6

Eleven-billy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next