Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Empty
PostSubject: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 12:03 am

YOUTUBE this my gallant Rockabiily friends....'CARL PERKINS WITH SLIM JIM PHANTOM BLUE SUEDE SHOES'

In 1984/85 the soundtrack to the film 'Porkys Revenge' was released. It features a blistering studio recording of 'Blue Suede Shoes' by Carl Perkins with Slim Jim Phantom and Lee Rocker. It was produced by Dave Edmunds. This is a rare find. I have it on cassette but have never seen it on CD or available for download anywhere.
I have never steered you wrong before my boppin buddies......Check it out NOW

and while you're YouTubing ,check out 'The BopCats Wild Jungle Rock' and 'The Rockats Lets get together'.
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 1:37 am

It was released as CD and vinyl as well, killer version
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 9:27 am

It was reissued in 2004 with a couple of bonus tracks (including Carl Perkins' Honey Don't with Rocker and Phantom), after being out of print for a very long time. It's still readily available from re-sellers on the US Amazon.com site, and may not be as hard to find on CD as it was before 2004.

With Jeff Beck's Sleepwalk, the Fabulous Thunderbirds' Stagger Lee, Clarence Clemons' take on Peter Gunn, a rare George Harrison recording of an obscure Dylan number, Robert Plant and plenty of Dave Edmunds, it's a great soundtrack album.

High School Nights-a-billy

Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Honey Dont   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 12:15 am

As usual Rillabicky, you are a mine of information
I dub thee Knight, Arise Sir Rick
Is the 'Porkys' version of 'Honey dont' worth tracking down ? I have the Porkys cassette (without Honey Dont) since it was released back in 85 ? and it really is good and I have the Porkys Blue Suede shoes downloaded from Youtube.
I trust ,Sir Rick ,you will see me in good stead and issue me with wise counsel.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:05 am

Lord Blackshadow, I implore thee to sally forth to amazon of the co.uk on the quest for the aural feast that is the Porky's Revenge soundtrack on Compact Disc, taking care to partake only of the vintage unleashed upon the masses in the year of our Lord, anno domini 2004.

The version you may find on digital download will likely include "Honey Don't" (so you could download that song only) but iTunes excludes the George Harrison tune and the Robert Plant-Dave Edmunds-Phil Collins-Paul Martinez (as the Crawling King Snakes) "Philadelphia Baby."

I have the vinyl, 1985 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab CD, Cassette, and 2004 CD, and despite the nostalgia for vinyl, I have to say the 2004 CD sounds the best, plus it has the two bonus tracks "Honey Don't," and Dave Edmunds' "Don't Call Me Tonight."

Is "Honey Don't" worth tracking down? First of all, it's Dave Edmunds-produced rockabilly with Phantom-Rocker-Edmunds and Carl freakin' Perkins. I love me some Carl Perkins with a bit of echo! It's as if Stray Cats were getting together for a recording session and Brian called to say "Dave, I can't make it today due to a pomade mishap, but I'm having the musicians union send over a suitable substitute rockabilly guitar slinger. You may have heard of him. His name is Carl Perkins."

I will say the vocal on "Honey Don't" is slightly less enthusiastic than "Blue Suede Shoes," but whether you plunk down £4.99 for the CD, or a lot less for individual download, I believe it is worth tracking down. Besides, if all you have is a YouTube download and a cassette edition, you need to upgrade your copy of "Blue Suede Shoes" anyway. You might as well land the entire album. Except for the instrumental "Porky's Revenge" with Dave Edmunds and a couple of Radiation Ranch members, (Chuck Leavell and Kenny Aaronson) which sounds like something from "Miami Vice," the whole album is worth having in all its 2004 remastered glory.

Whew! I just got choked up hearing Carl launch into his final solo: "Hang on, children, ROCK!" God bless Carl Perkins!

Honey Do! a-billy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 am

The first release in 1985 just included Blue Suede Shoes but the 2004 release includes Honey Don't as well. If somebody needs the songs, I can send them as mp3 files.

Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 6:05 am

Rickabilly, Slim Jon sent me an WMA file of Honey Dont and it is rockin'. Great version, cant believe it's been around all these years and I never knew about it. Thanks again, Slim Jon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 4:04 am

Always a pleasure!
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

i like the track "good lookin baby" - California king snakes i think ?
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 2:36 pm

That tune's a lot of fun. It's an old Charlie Rich tune called "Philadelphia Baby" and it sounds like it might fit in on a Honeydrippers album. Robert Plant has Phil Collins and Dave Edmunds backing him on that track as well. That soundtrack is just so strong. Even if you're only looking for the Phantom-Rocker-Perkins tunes you might as well get the whole thing.

That song and the Harrison tune are among the tracks unavailable digitally if you buy the album that way, although you can find them elsewhere. "Philadelphia Baby" is on a Robert Plant hits anthology "Sixty-Six to Timbuktu," while the Harrison track "I Don't Want to Do It" is on last year's "Let It Roll" compilation.

The Robert Plant set has this cool photo in the booklet:

YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Plantsetzer

Plant-a-billy

Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 2:11 am

I remember reading an interview with Dave Edmunds in Guitar Player many years ago and he spoke of how he called in a lot of friends to help him to record the movie soundtrack. He said it was an awful movie Porkys Revenge but a great soundtrack.
I eventually found the cassette in a bargain bin in K-Mart! Brilliant album.
Had a great version of 'The Race is On' by Dave Edmunds with Slim Jim & Lee Rocker!
I've since lost the cassette, (who plays cassette anymore??) Glad to know it's still available, I'll have to try and hunt it down again
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 2:32 am

Oh!!! JC, was that version to "The Race Is On" played only by Dave, Jim and Lee, or is it the Stray Cats + Dave Edmunds version??

I remember reading an interview with Slim Jim Phantom or Lee Rocker (I cannae remember well atm), when they were about to fly to London for the Carl Perkins and Friends show taping and they mentioned that Carl, Lee and Slim had recorded a full album to get Carl a new contract. That album apparently included CP songs, but it seems that it never saw the light. Pity!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:28 am

While I'm not aware of "The Race Is On" being on anything other than a 45, Dave Edmunds' "Twangin'" album, and various Edmunds hits compilations, that would be a pretty cool collectible to find it on a Porky's Revenge cassette. In the mid-80s, music labels would occasionally add bonus tracks to cassettes. My US cassette doesn't have it, but perhaps it made it on an Australian release.

Ya gotta love K-mart bargain bins. I remember spending a couple of years trying to find Otis Redding's final studio album "Tell the Truth" on CD. It was one of several posthumous releases, and, being devoid of hits, went out of print rather quickly. I hadn't found eBay yet, so stumbling across treasures like this in a K-Mart bargain bin at 2:30am seemed like divine intervention. I think I found Blast Off on CD the same way (I had it on LP already).

I guess Rain Man was wrong. Sometimes, K-mart doesn't suck.

Although Qantas still has never had a commercial airliner crash.

5 Minutes to Wapner-billy
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 7:16 pm

Rickabilly I think your right, I'm working from my bad memory, I bought the 'Twangin' and 'Trax on Wax' CD's around the same time (also from the K-mart bargain bin!) so it is likely I've mixed them up..
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker   YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

YOUTUBE Carl Perkins with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker
Page 1 of 1