Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hot Plate attenuator alternative?

Go down 
+2
chunkymac
booty
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
booty

Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 2:19 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
booty wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Not my Blondeshell man... I can play through my 1x8 (jensen P-8n alnico)
Running a blondeshell into different speakers other than a 2x12 setup raises questions about ohmage that confuse me.

The marsh bassman has an extra speaker jack output so therefore if an extra speaker was plugged in then that would change the ohmage wouldnt it ? and so there would be a mismatch?

Ive put a fender blues junior ( 8 ohm), with its internal speaker disengaged, into my fender 2x12 vibrolux cab (4 ohm) and it sounds great. I felt it was ok to do this cos fender hot rod deluxes have their own 8 ohm extension cab available to run with its own internal 8 ohm speaker which means its running at 4 ohms. So it seems that its ok to run 8ohm amp into 4 ohm cab

If its ok to mismatch the ohmages, does that mean that you could mismatch the other way around e.g run a 4ohm bassman head into a 16 ohm cab, thus making it quieter?

I aplogize if these questions seem dumb but this forum is the way I learn.

ALSO... Cheers Tavo, the Dyno brain has arrived! Im giggin with it tonight. Its an intimate little gig so im gonna put it thru my fender blues junior and maxon ad999..AND ... im delighted to say that my gretsch volume is useable so now I can rolll back the vol a little without the sound just disappearing. Nice one man!

In a blonde fender 63 bassman or any repro amp meant to clone a 63' 6G6-B the transformer OEM is 4ohms. They have an extra speaker jack yes...BUT your only choices for total ohms is 4ohm.
So You can plug the following:
1 4ohm mono cab in speaker jack 1 = 4ohms total
or
2 8ohm mono cabs into speaker jacks 1 and 2 = 4ohms total
or
1 stereo cab that equals 8ohms a side into jacks 1 and 2 = 4ohms total

Most fender techs will warn that while you may mismatch a 4ohm transformer with up to an 8ohm total load, it is harmful to the OT mismatch beyond that and most would rather see the 4ohm OT using a 2 ohm load than the other way around (ie 16ohm)

having said all that, plugging an 8ohm load into the blonde 6G6-B with greatly reduce headroom and thus bring in overdrive much early with a big loss of tight low mids, ala
farting bass syndrome.

regarding that Blues Junior, it has "Stock" what is called a "tapped" output transformer and thus both 4ohm and 8ohm taps( a bassman is not a tapped output transformer stock, PERIOD) ... BUT the stock speaker output wiring it 8ohms on the Blues Junior.
In order to active the 4ohm tap on the Blues junior you must have a 1/4" plugged into the first/primary speaker output jack. So either you have one 8ohm load plugged into both jacks 1 and 2 to have the 4ohm tap OR you plug a dummy 1/4" jack into the amps output jack #1 and then use the amps output jack #2 for a 4ohm cab/speaker load. (( everything I wrote is pointless if fender has revised its speaker jack arrangement, I try to avoid looking at any modern amp fender makes unless I am asked to Smile

side note... While most Pro Series or vintage Fender amps are overbuilt and overspec'd on their transformers... THIS IS NOT THE CASE on the budget series "blues or hotrod" amps.

So... did I confuse or answer to the situation? Smile
Think I get it..
A 6g6b Bassman, or clone, can take an 8 ohm cab ( if you dont mind "farting bass syndrome")
Also.. a Blues junior with its 8 ohm OT can safely handle a 2x12 8 ohm ext cab ( 4 ohms)

So ..if you wanted to run an ext cab off an 8 ohm fender 65 DRRI's ext speaker output you could either;
Disable the internal speaker and hook up a 2x12 8 ohm cab ( no mismatch) or:
Disable the internal speaker and hook up a 2x12 4 ohm cab ( safe mismatch) or;
Connect an 8 ohm 1x12 ext cab alongside internal 8 ohm speaker ( 4 ohm total so safe mismatch) or;
Replace internal 8 ohm speaker with a 16 ohm speaker then run a 1x12 16 ohm ext speaker cab alongside it ( 8 ohm total so no mismatch)

Again, apologies for my ignorance but i'm really keen to find an alternative to using my 6g6b marsh bassman clone because that amp is great on a big stage but, for me, its too much for a lot of the small bars that we play. This is why im lookin into smaller combos, possibly with an extension cab - hence my ohmage matching concerns - and im gettin really interested in the Fender 65 DRRI, especially if it can be modded Buzz Campbell style.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vavoom.altpro.net
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 8:12 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Not my Blondeshell man... I can play through my 1x8 (jensen P-8n alnico)

That's reassuring. I may just try to find an unloaded closed back 1x12 and put that Fane V30 in there. Would that be ok? It's an 8 Ohm speaker. Then down the way I could pickup a 2x12 cab, if needed (or wanted Twisted Evil )

Where does one find a good closed back 1x12?
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 8:20 am

OK, my question about the 8 ohm speaker was answered within this thread...farty lows= doo doo. A 2x12 cab seems like the best option

I could find a 2x10 or a 4x10 cab, and create a super killer or a nod to the tweed bassman but better! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 9:55 am

I'm Incinerator wrote:
OK, my question about the 8 ohm speaker was answered within this thread...farty lows= doo doo. A 2x12 cab seems like the best option

I could find a 2x10 or a 4x10 cab, and create a super killer or a nod to the tweed bassman but better! Twisted Evil

8hm is fine in my amp. I use a Mercury Magnetics tone clone tapped output transformer
with both a 4ohm speaker jack and an 8ohm speaker jack so you are never left with
a compromise.

a 1x12 closeback cab (Andy B. hear this) with a blonde bassman will sound quieter on stage than an open back 1x12 combo (same deal with 212) because the speaker number one doesnt need the same amount of vol/output from the amp as does the open back cab. The closeback is working more efficiently.
secondly the closeback cab is directional and on club stages should be used in the same fashion as a monitor wedge is used for a vocalist, pointing away from the audience and rather at you and the drummer.

I dont say it lightly because for all the years I had to play in tightly regulated sound environments, I never got grief from the soundman or audience with my 63 blonde and its 212 bassman cab.. the other guitarist with the combo amp did, whether they were using a 15watt Vox AC15, or a Hotrod deluxe or tophat 212 combo....
ALL those open back combos would piss the soundman off because they bleed into
every mic and bounce off all the wall because the speakers are throwing sound forward
and backwards in a near 360 degree pattern.

Me, on the other hand has the blonde bassman's 212 closeback cab turned at an angle that is off axis to the singers mic and monitor. In addition I use a "gobo" made of plexi that rises just slightly past the top of the speaker cones placed about 12" away from the grill. (the cab has room to be properly mic'd) I can literally stand almost 5" away from my cab with my ear in direct audio path to the speaker unimpeded so I get to feel and hear it how I like, but EVERYBODY else does not have to.

This means the sound man is happy, the vocalists are happy and the front row audience is happy. I get the best of both worlds and didnt have to use some tiny-ass
plinker amp with severally compromised tone.

plus I can still play louder stages and just pummel everyone with it like the cannon it can be when needed. Smile

I will bet money if you use this set up, you will be loved.
(on my beerbilly channel there is one video"word of god speak" of me playing a final sunday church
gig..I retired 3 yrs ago from that unfun situation i did for 20yrs... you can see in this video how I set my amp every week in the same spot for 3 yrs at this uptight church
and never got a complaint...yes even the drummer had to use a dang roland electronic kit)
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

8hm is fine in my amp. I use a Mercury Magnetics tone clone tapped output transformer
with both a 4ohm speaker jack and an 8ohm speaker jack so you are never left with
a compromise.

a 1x12 closeback cab (Andy B. hear this) with a blonde bassman will sound quieter on stage than an open back 1x12 combo (same deal with 212) because the speaker number one doesnt need the same amount of vol/output from the amp as does the open back cab. The closeback is working more efficiently.
secondly the closeback cab is directional and on club stages should be used in the same fashion as a monitor wedge is used for a vocalist, pointing away from the audience and rather at you and the drummer.

...I get the best of both worlds and didnt have to use some tiny-ass
plinker amp with severally compromised tone....

I knew there were more reasons other than better bass efficiency to get a closed back cab Smile Hey, those 15-20 watts coming from my Club Royale 2x12 are pretty loud but not deafening...I had that sucker dimed this weekend, and surprisingly it didn't seem much louder past 1 o' clock (with MV maxed), which is what I've been leaving it sit at (for now, I've been using my guitar volume to get desired level output (volume mod may be in need). It may help that I keep the back of the amp about two inches from a wall.

I definitely feel the constraints of having an EL84 20 watt amp when hitting it with boosts, you get into classic rock territory pretty quick (not a bad thing, but I like some sizzle and twang).

I need to get a group of people together and make a band...been too long it seems Smile
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 1:25 pm

That tophat really wants to be an 18watt marshall as I remember Smile
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 2:09 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

definitely, there was no AC15 breakup past a certain point. I even had the bright switch on. It was pure Brian Gerhard/marshall goodness. not too much snarl, but you could roll back to some ACDC. I was also surprised on how easily the spectra sonic could feed back at those levels. You definitely didn't want to be too close to the amp Smile
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

definitely, there was no AC15 breakup past a certain point. I even had the bright switch on. It was pure Brian Gerhard/marshall goodness. not too much snarl, but you could roll back to some ACDC. I was also surprised on how easily the spectra sonic could feed back at those levels. You definitely didn't want to be too close to the amp Smile

another reason for a closeback cab with a gretsch! controlled feedback
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 6:03 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

a compromise.

I dont say it lightly because for all the years I had to play in tightly regulated sound environments, I never got grief from the soundman or audience with my 63 blonde and its 212 bassman cab.. the other guitarist with the combo amp did, whether they were using a 15watt Vox AC15, or a Hotrod deluxe or tophat 212 combo....
ALL those open back combos would piss the soundman off because they bleed into
every mic and bounce off all the wall because the speakers are throwing sound forward
and backwards in a near 360 degree pattern.

Me, on the other hand has the blonde bassman's 212 closeback cab turned at an angle that is off axis to the singers mic and monitor. In addition I use a "gobo" made of plexi that rises just slightly past the top of the speaker cones placed about 12" away from the grill. (the cab has room to be properly mic'd) I can literally stand almost 5" away from my cab with my ear in direct audio path to the speaker unimpeded so I get to feel and hear it how I like, but EVERYBODY else does not have to.

This means the sound man is happy, the vocalists are happy and the front row audience is happy. I get the best of both worlds and didnt have to use some tiny-ass
plinker amp with severally compromised tone.

plus I can still play louder stages and just pummel everyone with it like the cannon it can be when needed. Smile

I will bet money if you use this set up, you will be loved.
(on my beerbilly channel there is one video"word of god speak" of me playing a final sunday church
gig..I retired 3 yrs ago from that unfun situation i did for 20yrs... you can see in this video how I set my amp every week in the same spot for 3 yrs at this uptight church
and never got a complaint...yes even the drummer had to use a dang roland electronic kit)

So a lot of us non gigging enthusiats are a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on a Blondeshell because we think its too loud/big/heavy for home use, and we love the convience of a little combo. So is it practical/doable to make a 6g6 b circut in a smaller wattage amp? A 1x 12" cab is an interesting idea...tell me more. Maybe in something about pignose size. Razz
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 6:58 pm

I guess I should respond with a question...

Is it possible to build a Harley with a lawnmower engine?

yes it is.. but why? Cool
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Harleys aren't built as well as most lawnmowers.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:19 pm

vic wrote:
Harleys aren't built as well as most lawnmowers.

I was tryin to not be the dickhead you know too well. Smile
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:43 pm

It takes one to know one. geek

and I conceed your earlier point
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:46 pm

you got a facebook account YET?? I just shared a picture I cant on a public forum Smile
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:58 pm

What's facebook?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 8:51 pm

vic wrote:
What's facebook?

its 2% more profit for your business there in town. Whole lot cheaper than
the yellow pages and little 1/8 page adds in the corners of the city newspater.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hot Plate attenuator alternative?   Hot Plate attenuator alternative? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hot Plate attenuator alternative?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2