Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Please don't flame me too hard

Go down 
+5
Hot Rod Girl
Scatman
Rickabilly
Twenty Flight Rick
BSO_Rocks
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BSO_Rocks

BSO_Rocks

Please don't flame me too hard Empty
PostSubject: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:09 pm

Is it just me or does it seem to anyone else here that the amount of re-released material and/or re-packaged material is bordering on excess? As an example, it seems that for every one new studio release, there are countless "other" releases up for sale. Just how many variants of BSO Christmas music does it take to approach the level of overkill ? How many different live performances of Stray Cat Strut, Rock This Town, Gene & Eddie, Sexy & 17 are fans supposed to get excited about? The upcoming "from the vaults" concept itself is a re-release of the Stray Cats in Europe 15 cd release.

I can't think of another act that so aggressively releases "new" material that is not new and live performances that very closely resemble other releases.
I understand the money thing, really. But to be so relentlessly pursuing it with this much saturation, ... well, it makes me wonder.

Ducking for cover,
A Brian Setzer fan.

Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 7:53 pm

No need to duck for cover dude. We're all fans and friends here. Your question speaks to the business model that Setzer Inc is pursuing, and it's worthy of discussion. I am more interested in BSO vaults than SC, so I'm hoping that we'll get some great stuff from these releases. Bring on more dvds!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 3:51 am

BSO-Rocks,
I completely agree with you.

We've discussed this on the "Christmas Comes Alive" topic, I think.

This "live from the vaults" is a nice idea, but it would be better if there were something unique to it.

"Xmas Extravaganza" DVD is wonderful, no doubt and now, the same but on CD under a different tittle and in a different city, fine, but where is the novelty?? There is only one song on that CD that is not included on the DVD, "Angels Have We...", but I was expecting "Batman", "Lonely Avenue", "Trouble Train" and "Mr Jazzer Goes Surfer". Then, I would find this upcoming live release more interesting.

Concerning "Dont Mess With...", kind of the same thing, though there are a few songs like "Batman", "Honey Man", "House Is Rockin" that were never released live officialy. However, what's the point in having, as BSO-Rocks mentioned, "Stray Cat Strut", "Jump Jive An Wail", "Rock This Town", "Gene & Eddie" over and over again??? They are already on the "Live in Japan" DVD, on "Jumpin' East Of Java" and "Ultimate Collection" CDs!!!

Same with the Stray Cats "Live From Europe"... It would have been much better an extra CD with "Rumble In Brixton" with all the songs that were not included on that show ("Hound Dog", "Drink That Bottle", "Brand New Cadillac"...) - What really annoyed me with "Rumble In Brixton" was that, we in Europe got the Stray Cats doing a live release and all of a sudden, we don't have the entire show and if you want it, you have to buy the Japanese version because of the extra bonus track.... Then, they say it's to help the Japanese market, but, where are the bonus tracks for instante on "Dont Mess With..." or "Rockabilly Riot" or Brian Setzer's solo albums???

There is something strange in all that!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 am

I think the "From the Vaults" series, if it continues, will evolve to address some of the previously-mentioned concerns (track repetition, more rarities, acts beyond the BSO). In fact, I think they are addressing it already as they embrace the generation of iTunes cherry-pickers who no longer buy albums, content instead to purchase individual tunes. Hence, the fading into and out of each track on "Don't Mess With a Big Band." Downloading is the present and the future of the music industry, and this is Brian and Surfdog's first attempt to deliver a product designed to cater to the downloaders first.

I never liked buying individual tracks from a live album, as the tracks are usually mixed to move seamlessly into one another, often with the performer's introduction for the next track assigned to the previous track. So if you listen to your iPod, Zune, smart phone, or mp3 player in shuffle mode, or create your own playlist, you might hear "Osaka! How 'bout we do that Stray Cat Strut?" and then it abruptly shifts to Barry Manilow's "Weekend in New England." scratch So for the digital music fans, the fade-ins and fade-outs give people the opportunity to mix live tunes alongside studio tracks.

You don't want "Gene-n-Eddie," "Rock This Town," "Stray Cat Strut," "Fishnet Stockings," or "Rumble in Brighton?" Don't buy them. With the tracks individually faded in and out, it's easier to omit these tunes without sacrificing continuity. And yet, as a die-hard fan, as we all are here, it's tough to "not buy" the entire album. I definitely understand the saturation and repetitive concerns. I just think in the age of digital downloads, Surfdog is offering a solution for those who don't have the impulse control issues, while exploiting those of us who do.

I'm not sure it's fair to compare the "From the Vaults" series with DVDs or the Stray Cats Euro tour CDs. The Stray Cats Euro tour CDs were a one-time experiment using an idea that many artists have used for years. Just go to the Live Nation website to see entire tours available on CD from the Black Crowes, Marc Broussard, Hall and Oates, Collective Soul, and many others. Barenaked Ladies employed this practice for years. You could actually go to a concert, and then buy a flash drive containing that concert's soundboard recording immediately after the show in the venue! For fans of bands like BNL and Black Crowes who vary as much as one-third of their setlist each night, buying multiple shows may make sense to a number of fans, in addition to those who just want a souvenier of the show they attended. For artists like Paul McCartney and Brian Setzer, who may vary one or two songs, perhaps an encore once in a while, releasing every show doesn't make much sense. Hence, "From the Vaults" first release was a collection of highlights from a single tour.

Single folk, couples without kids, and empty-nesters may not be able to relate to my next point about DVDs. As younger fans get married, have kids, get divorced, have step kids, etc, so much of your time is not your own. So as wonderful as DVDs are, it's not always easy to take 90 minutes to 2 hours of your time to sit and watch a DVD, be it a movie, a concert DVD, or a TV program. It's much easier to listen to a CD or portable music device while driving, walking the dog, washing dishes, mowing the lawn, etc. So while I have certainly have enjoyed the Rumble In Brixton, Montreal and Christmas Extravaganza DVDs, I can't say I've watched them more than a handful of times, compared with most of Setzer's albums which I have listened to many times over. Therefore, I don't consider the upcoming Christmas Comes Alive CD/digital album as being redundant material already covered in the Christmas Extravaganza DVD. It is, however, yet another Christmas product. 2 Christmas albums, a hits package, 2 packaged versions of the DVD and now this? I think I'd rather have a non-Christmas release. The good news is, after this, there couldn't possibly be another Christmas album. Right? Right?

Surfdog has addressed some of the above concerns once again with the upcoming Montreal release. You get a great-looking and sounding DVD with the current Setzer line-up, some Lonely Avenue songs, Sexy and 17 with the Big Band will get its first official release, and it will also be available in an audio-only, digital only format.

So while it seems like more of the same and an over-saturation of product, unless you're an avid collector of bootlegs, (which admittedly includes about half the people on this board and possibly 15-20% of Brian's fanbase), there has been something unique, useful, and hopefully worthwhile with each of these 4 releases this year. Yes, I said 4 releases. But remember, if there hadn't been such a demand for the Montreal show this summer, there would have only been 2 releases this year. Surfdog is attempting to respond to the fans, which is something few labels and artists would do - especially so quickly. Had they anticipated this, perhaps "Don't Mess With a Big Band" would not have been released. For the collectors, there have certainly been some missed opportunities, but perhaps future releases in this ever-evolving series will address some of these issues.

Crossing the excess border-billy

Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 2:30 pm

....you listen to Manilow??????
Back to top Go down
BSO_Rocks

BSO_Rocks

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Rick,

Seriously, you missed your calling. It's never too late to become a professional politician. Maybe start off as the Mayor of a small town.. A little town like Wasilla, Alaska but in Nebraska somewhere. Before you know it, you could be someone's Vice Presidential nominee. MUCH stranger things have happened.

Thanks as always to Positive Spin-abilly

Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Joe,

Thanks for the compliment... or the insult! Very Happy Among the many reasons I wouldn't run for office is the media's distortion of my message. For example, out of that massive spin campaign, one person extracted the following:

Scatman wrote:

For the record: only once, when I was in elementary school, and I didn't like it. It was my mom's record! But you know how it is when there are 30,000 songs on your iPod, and you hit "shuffle." You would think shuffle mode would be so much more intuitive! Curse you, Steve Jobs!!!

My name is Rickabilly, and I approve this message.

Mayor McCheese-a-billy

Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Re your massive missive:

Truly Rickipedia is one of the main reasons to check in on this message board.......it is for me!

Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Well said Rick! However, you can't be our age and have not been exposed to Manilow. He was all over the radio in the '70s, which meant he was heard in the kitchens and cars of our parents when we were kids. So yeah, we were exposed to Manilow, but maybe we didn't actually purchase any of his records (I was too little to have any money, or my own record player anyway.)

Copacabana-billy
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks for exhuming a long-buried memory of 4th-Grade choir, with the following "setlist":

Daybreak - Manilow
Sunshine On My Shoulders - John Denver
One Tin Soldier - Coven
Fifty Nifty United States
Rainbow Connection - Kermit the Frog

I never inhaled-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
Thanks for exhuming a long-buried memory of 4th-Grade choir, with the following "setlist":

Daybreak - Manilow
Sunshine On My Shoulders - John Denver
One Tin Soldier - Coven
Fifty Nifty United States
Rainbow Connection - Kermit the Frog

I never inhaled-a-billy

Hmmm....I think we might have had the same choir director....

Why are there so many songs about rainbows? And what's on the other side?
hrg
Back to top Go down
Fabdad

Fabdad

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 7:07 pm

The "From The Vaults" is a great concept and I am happy to have them available. Again, decide with your $$.

Artists such as Setzer understand that the bulk of their audience is there because of the "Rock This Town", "Gene and Eddie" "Fishnet Stockings" et al. and their live set HAS to include those songs so to do the live recording releases, we are getting the shows as they are performed, for the most part. If Brian neglected to play the hits from his career, then the tour wouldn't get off the ground. It is unfortunate for the die-hards, but a business decision to keep the ship afloat.

I was able to catch McCartney a few years back. The Beatles material had people up, dancing, singing, while the new songs had people making bee lines to the concession stands and restrooms, which is unfortunate as they missed some good stuff. Any act that has been around a while faces the same fate. Unfortunate, but true.

The live material releases aim to capture the moment and the energy of the shows. I enjoy finding the different variations on a theme in the songs. Had I went by the track listing alone, I would have not had the cool version of "Rock This Town" that was on "Red Hot and Live!" which has become my favorite.

For the DVD releases, I would love to see more "behind the scenes" stuff....sound checks, set-up, interviews, etc. The Rumble in Brixton release had some cool bonus features, and I would like those to continue. How cool would it be to see Tavo's pedal being used by the man that inspired it...if only for a demo or rehearsal?
Back to top Go down
bozman007

bozman007

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 3:45 am

Scatman wrote:
Busted!!

Please don't flame me too hard Simpsons_nelson_haha2

Wink
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 6:23 am

I feel sad when you're sad, if you only knew what I'm going through... I just can't smile..

ElementarySchoolManilow-billy

PS:

Next up: School House Rock with I'm Just A Bill On Capitol Hill
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 8:44 am

I can't deny the influence any longer. After all, he is music, and he writes the songs!

Please don't flame me too hard Manilow%20up

Afraid to release another Christmas album? What could be worse?

From the Vaults: Barried Treasure - The Bloodless Pharoahs Sing the Barry Manilow Songbook

His name was Rico, he wore a diamond-billy

Last edited by Rickabilly on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bozman007

bozman007

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:21 am

Oh my...

It's true, he does write his own songs, and I'm sure he's a talented live performer too. He's just so... creepy. And he's not creepy in a rocking David Bowie kind of way either.

Don't believe me? Have a look at this!

Please don't flame me too hard N2563576480_7571 Please don't flame me too hard Images

Just try to tell me the resemblance doesn't freak you out. I dare you.
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 10:31 am

I always thought he looked like Clay Aiken................in more than one way!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 3:09 pm

Clay Aiken? Barry Manilow? I thought there was to be no flaming on this thread!

Please don't flame me too hard Liberace

Not that there's anything wrong with that-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 5:37 pm

Oh Mandy, please kiss me and stop me from shaking...
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 6:39 pm

real fans would be singing "Daybreak"

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Well done TV! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
enjay07

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 10:25 pm

1. Will the Captain please steer this boat back on course? Ye of thread-derailing-haters?

2. @ Rickabilly---I'm still trying to figure out how the Manilow got on your iPod in the first place. You said it was just that one time in 4th grade....

I'm thinking you DID inhale. And you better stay out of politics. You'll need a good PR rep to clear your good name. Don't quit your day job. Wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please don't flame me too hard   Please don't flame me too hard Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please don't flame me too hard
Page 1 of 1