Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Stray Cats B-sides

Go down 
+3
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
Rickabilly
Tele295
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tele295

Tele295

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 8:43 pm

The Cats sure have a lot of B-sides that never made it on to their regular albums. Some have surfaced on compilations, but wouldn't you like to see them all in one place?

Here's a (partial?) list that I've seen:

You Cant Hurry Love
Drink That Bottle Down
Cross That Bridge
Sweet Love On My Mind
Somethin' Else
One More Day
Down Town
Lookin' Better Every Beer
Cruisin'
Lucky Charm
Looking Through My Backdoor
Two of a Kind
Back to top Go down
http://www.JillMartiniSoiree.com

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 3:22 am

Howdy!

I wouldn't consider (She'll Stay Just) One More Day as a B-side, since it was included in Gonna Ball.

The rest, are correct. I must point that Lookin' Better Every Beer and Lucky Charm were included as bonus tracks in the Japanese edition to Rant N Rave, as well as Down Town (Cross That Bridge), included as Japanese bonus track in Gonna Ball.
Back to top Go down
Tele295

Tele295

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 9:54 am

Down Town is the same as Cross That Bridge?
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 10:23 am

Cross That Bridge is the same as Down Town / What's Goin' Down. Most of these are available on the Japan CD Otherise: The New Selection of the Stray Cats. A notable exception would be Two of a Kind, a B-side from Gina, as this collection seems to collect songs released before the first break-up. (Before Rock Therapy)

Track List:

1. Runaway Boys
2. Rock This Town
3. Can't Hurry Love
4. Rumble In Brighton
5. Stray Cut Strut
6. Double Talkin' Baby
7. What's Goin' Down (Cross That Bridge)
8. Baby Blue Eyes
9. Built For Speed
10. She's Sexy And 17
11. Lookin' Better Every Beer
12. Cruisin'
13. Lucky Charm
14. I Won't Stand In Your Way (A Capella)
15. Look At That Cadillac
16. Rebels Rule
17. Looking Out My Backdoor
18. Drink That Bottle Down
19. Sweet Love On My Mind
20. Something Else

If I were to compile these again, I would definitely include Sixteen Candles. I love Jimmy Iovine's production on that one. That distinctive sound Iovine gets out of his drummers is a nice change of pace from the Edmunds Stray Cats sound, which I also dig.

Iovine-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 1:29 pm

You got that right, Rickabilly. Jimmy Iovines production of the Cats was Purr-fection. I dont like the production on Rant n Rave by Dave Edmunds. I think Lees bass is too hidden and Jims drums ,sound too much like someone banging corrugated iron sheeting with a big stick. (Though I love the album itself). Actually the biggest flaw with Rant n Rave was that brilliant songs like Lookin better every beer, Lookin out my back door, Lucky Charm and Cruisin were left off the album.
I remember reading in Smash Hits magazine in 1984 that the Cats were to go into the studio to record an album with Jimmy Iovine , I wonder what happened there ? Anyone know ?
Oh ,this has just come to mind, the B side to the UK release of Runaway Boys was My one Desire. And there were live versions of Runaway Boys, Stray Cat Strut and I fought the Law on the Bsides of Bring it Back again and Gina. These live songs were recorded at the Ritz in New York in late 1988.
And whos numbskull brainwave idea was it to leave Cross that bridge off the Gonna Ball album ? That was just stupid..

Gotta run folks, my brain is overheating..............
Back to top Go down

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 2:05 pm

You can consider Let's Go Faster (1992 version) as a B-side if you want to. It was included in the US and Aussie versions to CDS Elvis On Velvet, though, was bonus track in the European and Japanese versions.
Back to top Go down
Tele295

Tele295

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 2:59 pm

Is "Looking Out My Back Door" a cover of the CCR song?

I finally found a CD copy of Gonna Ball that didn't break the bank. I thought I had it on vinyl from the 80's but I guess I didn't. Just waitin' on the mail now.
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Tele295 wrote:
Is "Looking Out My Back Door" a cover of the CCR song?
The very same one...

They even performed it live on their 1983 New Year's show at the Savoy in NYC.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 3:38 am

Oh yes! This one was B-side to Rebels Rule. It was played a few times during 1983-84
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 9:35 am

And if I recall correctly the song title is mispelled on the back of the picture sleeve as
"Looking Through My Back Door".

Don't remember the spelling on the vinyl, though......................

Ooby Dooby!
Back to top Go down

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 1:38 pm

Yes, Scatman is right!!
I remember that misspelling... it was misspelt on the 12" as well!

And one of the Ducth 7" Rock This Town was Rock This Time!
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 9:26 am

??....Two of a kind???
I don't know that one...
bounce
Back to top Go down

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 pm

B-Side to Gina, Patrick
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Cat

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 7:52 pm

There is also a b-side called Gonna Be Your Rock.

Another rare track/b-side is a live version of C'mon Everybody from New York in December, 1982. It turned up on the 1990 compilation "The Best Of Stray Cats" on the Camden/BMG label. The liner notes say it was produced by Dave Edmunds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 1:31 am

Hey Rocky Mountain Cat, glad to have you back!

Just a little note:
Gonna Be Your Rock is not a B-side but the bonus track to the Japanese version of Let's Go Faster.

And C'mon Everybody included in some compilations, was recorded live in Toronto 1983 if I am correct
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stray Cats B-sides Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray Cats B-sides   Stray Cats B-sides Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stray Cats B-sides
Page 1 of 1