HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Blondshell

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:24 am

aye! the pressure is on then. I should have bought the Blondeshell then got married Twisted Evil

I just got to keep it fresh in the wife's mind
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wrock

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
aye! the pressure is on then. I should have bought the Blondeshell then got married Twisted Evil

Yup. Just do it. Wonīt regret it (the Blondeshell, marriage I donīt know). THIS AMP IS GREAT! Just returned from another rehearsal and it still blows my mind. I donīt think Iīll EVER part with mine.

Always remember: TONE, TONE, TONE....

Good luck!

Hope youīll be the most happy owner of #6!

BTW: Got the TS9 off the board today and reinstalled the FBM as a bosster. Works even better before the Nocturne then after it. Sounds WAY better than the muddy TS9-RI. Still Iīm lloking fot the real deal (atomic?...).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:26 pm

Wrock wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

Yup. Just do it. Wonīt regret it (the Blondeshell, marriage I donīt know). THIS AMP IS GREAT! Just returned from another rehearsal and it still blows my mind. I donīt think Iīll EVER part with mine.

Good luck!

BTW: Got the TS9 off the board today and reinstalled the FBM as a bosster. Works even better before the Nocturne then after it. Sounds WAY better than the muddy TS9-RI. Still Iīm lloking fot the real deal (atomic?...).

The atomic abby mode fully crunches the blondeshell, as you see here
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:26 am

Wrock wrote:

Good luck!

I hope so too! I don't think I can contain myself too much longer! I may also need to upgrade to an Atomic Brain and/or a Billy Brain.

How well does the Blondeshell surf in stock form? I've read that if you put in a longer reverb tank it can get some real drip going. I'm still more of a space/ambience reverb type of guy, but I still enjoy a little surf here and there...though, I don't own a "surf" guitar (ie Strat, Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Mosrite, etc). Just a Spectra Sonic, tele, and a LP. I used to have a pretty sweet MIM strat, but it was more Buddy Holly than Dick Dale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wrock

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:15 am

I'm Incinerator wrote:

How well does the Blondeshell surf in stock form? I've read that if you put in a longer reverb tank it can get some real drip going. I'm still more of a space/ambience reverb type of guy, but I still enjoy a little surf here and there...though, I don't own a "surf" guitar (ie Strat, Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Mosrite, etc). Just a Spectra Sonic, tele, and a LP. I used to have a pretty sweet MIM strat, but it was more Buddy Holly than Dick Dale.

I donīt think the way mine is set up, itīs surfy enough if you want to play real surf guitar. I like it just the way it is: nice fine-adjustable reverb for more room and ambience at any setting from 1-10 - great for Rockabilly and Blues. I donīt like the "sink sound" of most recent stock Fendersī reverbs at settings beyond 3.
So either you might want some extra reverbs stomp box (Boss FRV), a real tube reverb (sounds fantastic, quite pricey and I donīt really need it) or have a 17" spring tank installed (see Tavoīs first post on top of this page). I didnīt even check it with the RE-20īs reverb added - I was not too enthusiastic about that feature.

The great thingh about having a custom amp - just tell Tavo what you want and he can fix it for you.

OT: Whatīs the difference between a Buddy Holly strat and a Dick Dale strat except from the fretboard (maple vs. rosewood)? Isnīt it more the way Dick lays into the strings?

(Go, go,go...! What are you waitung for? Twisted Evil )

Back to top Go down
View user profile
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:27 am

I would say the difference to me between the strats would be a thicker neck profile with a more rounded fretboard radius maple fretboard compared to a faster/slimer neck flatter radius and rosewood slab.

Then again, after seeing Dick Dale a few times, I don't think his playing touch on either hand is gentle.

When I had a Twin Reverb RI I don't think I went above 3 on the reverb dial. Now, it's been so long since I've had an amp with reverb I've grown used to having slapback echo. I think I'm more of a space guy than a surf guy...looking at my guitar collection...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 am

Wrock wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

I donīt think the way mine is set up, itīs surfy enough if you want to play real surf guitar. I like it just the way it is: nice fine-adjustable reverb for more room and ambience at any setting from 1-10 - great for Rockabilly and Blues. I donīt like the "sink sound" of most recent stock Fendersī reverbs at settings beyond 3.
So either you might want some extra reverbs stomp box (Boss FRV), a real tube reverb (sounds fantastic, quite pricey and I donīt really need it) or have a 17" spring tank installed (see Tavoīs first post on top of this page). I didnīt even check it with the RE-20īs reverb added - I was not too enthusiastic about that feature.

The great thingh about having a custom amp - just tell Tavo what you want and he can fix it for you.

OT: Whatīs the difference between a Buddy Holly strat and a Dick Dale strat except from the fretboard (maple vs. rosewood)? Isnīt it more the way Dick lays into the strings?

(Go, go,go...! What are you waitung for? Twisted Evil )

dont get mad at me but actually I wont change the reverb circuit to be more surfy. Its based off a very stripped down
princeton reverb. It uses both sides of 1 12ax7 tube and when the control is dialed all the way, the circuit is ALL the way out of the amp. You could literally unplug the reverb tank then turn the control all the way up and hear the gain of the reverb tube come into play (Added brightness).

Since putting the 17" long spring tank in Wrocks, I have done the same to mine but have also swapped the Ruby 12ax7c5 for a Tungsol 12ax7 which adds more low mids punch (done mostly because the Ruby tube isnt as hardy as the tungsol..but the tungsol is too muddy for V=1)
When you open the presence all the way and turn the reverb all the way up (ride the treble for balance) and the atomic or dyno brain is pushing on the amp, its very surfy at least to the point of Duane Eddy type stuff. It boings but it doesnt drip. Again its design is to provide dimension BEHIND your echo kind of how setzer keeps his spring verb slightly on when he switches to position 2 on his RE301 space echo. Its enhancing the echo
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:27 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

dont get mad at me but actually I wont change the reverb circuit to be more surfy. Its based off a very stripped down
princeton reverb. It uses both sides of 1 12ax7 tube and when the control is dialed all the way, the circuit is ALL the way out of the amp. You could literally unplug the reverb tank then turn the control all the way up and hear the gain of the reverb tube come into play (Added brightness).

Since putting the 17" long spring tank in Wrocks, I have done the same to mine but have also swapped the Ruby 12ax7c5 for a Tungsol 12ax7 which adds more low mids punch (done mostly because the Ruby tube isnt as hardy as the tungsol..but the tungsol is too muddy for V=1)
When you open the presence all the way and turn the reverb all the way up (ride the treble for balance) and the atomic or dyno brain is pushing on the amp, its very surfy at least to the point of Duane Eddy type stuff. It boings but it doesnt drip. Again its design is to provide dimension BEHIND your echo kind of how setzer keeps his spring verb slightly on when he switches to position 2 on his RE301 space echo. Its enhancing the echo

I think this is where I spend most time! Especially unplugging the tank for more/bright gain! Does the reverb control then turn into a level/gain control of sorts?

I guess if I need to surf a tank or pedal wouldn't be too hard to add down the road!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

I think this is where I spend most time! Especially unplugging the tank for more/bright gain! Does the reverb control then turn into a level/gain control of sorts?

yes.. it just brings in that extra tube for an enhanced tone particularly in Plank mode. As long as you realize that this type of circuit is so special because the overdrive that happens is based solely in the power section with the phase inverter and OT saturation.. and why the nocturne becomes intrinsic for the preamp tube to break up in the upper mids giving you that blonde sound that comes from no other amp that I am aware of other than mr setzers supro thunderbolt which I'm told operates in a similar fashion, although much more compressed and grizzly IMO
I guess if I need to surf a tank or pedal wouldn't be too hard to add down the road!
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:21 pm

YAY! Payment sent....now it's waiting time...and gotta get a cab to play it through! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wrock

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:22 am

I'm Incinerator wrote:
YAY! Payment sent....now it's waiting time...and gotta get a cab to play it through! bounce bounce bounce

FINALLY!

ongrats you made it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:44 am

Wrock wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

FINALLY!

ongrats you made it Very Happy

Thanks!

It took me a little longer than I originally thought, but I ended up saving for the entire balance of the amp instead of using some income tax refund. Now I have around eight weeks to save for a cab, speakers, and speaker cable!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:47 pm

okay Sean, all parts have been ordered.. it begins. (although it takes em 2 weeks to build the dang cab cuz its not blackface stock)
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:13 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
okay Sean, all parts have been ordered.. it begins. (although it takes em 2 weeks to build the dang cab cuz its not blackface stock)

Sounds great! Haha, I knew part of me was thinking going blackface and finding a marshall 4x10 cab and going Mike Ness Cool. Just need the P-90 LP and some more tattoos...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Sounds great! Haha, I knew part of me was thinking going blackface and finding a marshall 4x10 cab and going Mike Ness Cool. Just need the P-90 LP and some more tattoos...

the mike ness sound is totally there in this amp.. I forget what overdrive he did use but now he plays divided by 13 amps, the bassmans are no more... havent been for the last 2 yrs from what I've heard.
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:25 pm

I think he used a Boss SD-1 or DS-1 for a while, more of a solo boost than drive, since Billy Zoom/Fred T modded his bassmans to give the "10" sound at lower volumes.

I didn't know that he was using divided by 13's now? I wonder if they are hidden? From the pictures I saw of a show they played here last fall/summer, he had the bassman rig going on. Also the episode of "Guitar Center Sessions" for direcTV shows the same rig and that has to be pretty recent with Mike talking about and playing stuff off of the new album.

I'm sure with the dual stomp Billy and the Blondeshell, the sound will be there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   

Back to top Go down

Blondshell
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: The cave - Guitar talk-
Jump to: