Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Total Guitar Setzer DVDs

Go down 
+4
richjohnson26
matt
Rickabilly
Kingsley16
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kingsley16

Kingsley16

Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Empty
PostSubject: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 12:40 pm

hey all............I love the outtakes from the Total Guitar magazine Brian Setzer Rockabilly DVDs, but I cant find them anywhere to have copies of my own. Can any of you Setzer FAns like me help me out?

Thanks,
Daniel
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 6:11 pm

Daniel,

I sent you a PM

Help desk-a-billy
Back to top Go down
matt

matt

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Kingsley16 wrote:
hey all............I love the outtakes from the Total Guitar magazine Brian Setzer Rockabilly DVDs, but I cant find them anywhere to have copies of my own. Can any of you Setzer FAns like me help me out?

Thanks,
Daniel

go here and you will find them all cheers bro you can thank
me later http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Back to top Go down
Kingsley16

Kingsley16

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 10:10 am

THANKS ALL!!!
Back to top Go down
richjohnson26

richjohnson26

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 2:21 pm

Is this another Brian DVD that is out there? I have the instruction DVD 'The Guitar of Brian Setzer' which was good but perhaps a bit ahead of me! What DVD are these outakes from?

A quick hi and intro: I'm Richard, a Stray Cats from Exeter, UK. I went to see what looks like my only Stray Cats concert in Zurich this year and ever since I've been back I've not been able to put my guitar down!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 3:26 pm

These are not full DVDs sold separately anywhere. They are video CD-ROMS that were packaged as "video lessons" with 4 different issues of Total Guitar magazine. I am looking at Issue 142, from November 2005, featuring "Learn to Play" lessons on U2's Beautiful Day, the Stooges Search and Destroy, Pantera's I'm Broken, and Iron Maiden's 2 Minutes to Midnight, among others.

Setzer just gives little demonstrations on technique. No specific songs are taught, that I can recall. As far as I know, these four lessons were filmed and are not part of any other instructional video.

And I don't even play guitar...

Useless-billy
Back to top Go down
Wrock

Wrock

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 3:50 am

@richjohnson26

If you´re looking for some other Setzer instructional DVDs, how about these ones

Lick Library DVD: Leran To Play Brian Setzer
A note-for-note instruction for five classical Stray Cats songs (Rumble in Brighton, Ruunaway Boys, Built for Speed, Stray Cat Strut and Rock Thios Town)

From the same publisher there is also a good instruction by Steve Trovato Brian Setzer Guitar Techniques who provides a basic, more general approach to the Setzter style. I´d really recommend this if you´re just starting to play Rockabilly.

@all:
Does anybody know which Total Guitar issues contained the Setzer vids?
I think the first one on Pony´s myspace site was also on the accompanying CD to the 2008 February issue (02-2008) of Guitar Techniques with some tabs in the magazine. The mag was a special on Rock´n Roll and is AFAIK still available.
Back to top Go down
Kingsley16

Kingsley16

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 6:11 am

The folks @ Total Guitar told me that they were issues 142-145 which they are sold out of. BUMMER.

D
Back to top Go down
richjohnson26

richjohnson26

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 6:58 am

Thanks very much for the advice! Will definitely look into getting a copy of the Guitar Techniques DVD to look into. Have picked some licks from the 'How to play Rockabilly Guitar' book on the Jime website which is pretty nifty!

Another question (hope this isn't too OT!) I'm currently looking up fingerpicking techniques. I've seen quite a lot on 'Travis picking', is this the technique Brian uses, if their is a defined style for it!
Back to top Go down
Wrock

Wrock

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 2:42 pm

richjohnson26 wrote:
Another question (hope this isn't too OT!) I'm currently looking up fingerpicking techniques. I've seen quite a lot on 'Travis picking', is this the technique Brian uses, if their is a defined style for it!

Yes it is, but he actually states that "Rockabilly finger picking doesn´t have to be perfect. You just have to keep the thumb going on the bass strings" (see DVD 'The Guitar of Brian Setzer' for that, I think this can even be found in one of the TG vids).
I think that´s O.K. for the beginning, but to me it doesn´t feel wrong to get it right to the perfect Chet Atkins picking at some point.

Have fun + keep on pickin´

Wrock
Back to top Go down
Cristo

Cristo

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 10:53 pm

"Hot Licks The Guitar of Brian Setzer"

http://books-videos-music.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hot-Licks-The-Guitar-of-Brian-Setzer-DVD?sku=947121

I can't use the English language well enough to express how awesome this is... but I can recommend some steps you can take to ensure the best possible viewing environment:

1) Get DVD
2) Find a chair
3) Put DVD in player, press play
4) Sit in chair with 6-pack of beer (brand optional)*
5) Don't blink

*Cold beer is most suitable, but I know some of you crazy Europeans like warm beer!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:39 am

Cristo wrote:

*Cold beer is most suitable, but I know some of you crazy Europeans like warm beer!

It depends which part of Europe we came from.
Where i live, most people like cool beer too.
But i heard stories that somewhere in England a few people (i don`t know exactly) like warm(er) beer. But maybe i`m wrong... :

But you`re so right, the DVD is awesome. And Brian is a really good teacher aswell.

Cheers... drunken

B
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 9:46 pm

richjohnson26 wrote:

Check out Paul Pigat's (Cousin Harley) instructional video's. I got onto the Rockabilly one through reading about it on the Gretsch forum, I can highly recommend it!!

He also has this one on Travis picking:

Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
Cristo

Cristo

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Brett wrote:
Cristo wrote:

It depends which part of Europe we came from.
Where i live, most people like cool beer too.
But i heard stories that somewhere in England a few people (i don`t know exactly) like warm(er) beer. But maybe i`m wrong... :

But you`re so right, the DVD is awesome. And Brian is a really good teacher aswell.

Cheers... drunken

B

Well, I've never been deep enough into Europe to see for myself all the magical beer-awesomeness that there is to be had. Only seen a bit o' Scandinavia. I only know a few words of German, but my favorite one is:

REINHEITSGEBOT!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 12:53 am

Cristo wrote:

Only seen a bit o' Scandinavia. I only know a few words of German, but my favorite one is:

REINHEITSGEBOT!

Hahaha... lol! lol!
How do you know THIS word????

Yes, in germany we had an very, very old agreement (from 1516).
the producer of beer declared only to take hops, malt and water for making beer.
It became national law in 1906.
(Remember in the US around 20 years later it was forbidden to drink alcohol and in germany we had a law for making the right beer... Suspect )

I think in early 80ies it was still not allowed to sell foreign beer in germany because of this rule. (foreign beer with different ingredients)
But in these days we could buy and drink what we want. But most of the german beer producer still stick to this rule.

So, you Americans invented the Rock`n Roll (and Swing, cool cars & bikes, etc.),
we the pure beer.
For the moment i prefer Rock`n Roll... Cool

B
(sorry for OT)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
richjohnson26

richjohnson26

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks for all the advice, definitely a couple of dvd's I might be looking at seeing as its just past payday!

Also can I say from a newbies view what a great forum this seems to be. I float around a couple of music fansites (Jerry-Lee, Queen and Buddy Holly) and I can say without doubt that this seems one of the best! Hope to get a regular posting going here!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Total Guitar Setzer DVDs   Total Guitar Setzer DVDs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Total Guitar Setzer DVDs
Page 1 of 1