Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week Empty
PostSubject: got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week   got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 7:36 pm

My very first gretsch was a 99' 6120SSU, I bought it used in '01 I believe. I polished off all the gold from the hardware
to reveal the nickel plating beneath the cheap gold electroplate as taught to me by tvjones. Installed new filtertron classics, built a completely new harness from george l cabling, switchcraft jack and switch, cts pots and dumped the nashville bridge for the one that setzer actually uses, a gotoh vintage style ABR=1 wire bridge.

This guitar has served me faithfully and has been put through the ringer. Last summer I finally wore through the
frets even put divots in the actual fretboard squeezing so hard to keep chords in tune. I'd always wanted to
have tvjones give my guitar a fretjob like he does for Setzer, but he hadnt extra time and I couldnt afford him. Smile
I got lucky this month and with the help of a friend at the fender custom shop I got the setzer style fretjob.
6105 dunlop stainless steel frets with a little off the top and nice bulbous ends, as setzer sez.. Man it's made the
guitar much brighter, and its given me another "Aha" moment in trying to decipher the whole crazy puzzle that
comes together as Setzer's magic tone. These are big frets, so big I put 10g strings back on instead of my usual
11g. I dont know how long that'll last but this fretboard feels like a shred metal guitar. Its FAST and touchy, those old thin horrid stock frets are not missed.

here is what it looked like with all the frets pulled out
got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week My_ssu10

and here it is after shiny goodness is finished
got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week S7300213
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week   got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 5:02 am

Wow! That's awesome!
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week   got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 am

nice looking work.

I was shocked to see the fret wear on my tele. I got it in 12/03 and by 05-06 there was enough wear where divots were starting to form.

My Spectra Sonic is holding up pretty well. Though skinny frets aren't fun, or what Fender calls "Medium".
Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

PostSubject: Re: got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week   got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 5:25 pm

Oh man you should put a NSFW heading over that first picture. Naked wood man.

That awesome! I cant wait to get that done but I got a ways. The frets got grooves but not making a diff in the playing yet. Those are some pretty big frets
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week   got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

got my 99's SSU rebuilt this week
Page 1 of 1