Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990) Empty
PostSubject: STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990)   STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 3:31 am

I remember having this clip on an old VHS... SUPERB!

Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990)   STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 6:38 am

Thanks Jon, Wonderful one !
I suppose this is from your favorite era, no ?
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990)   STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 8:27 am

That's an interesting point, Setzerado, and one that might merit having its own thread.

When discussing "eras" of Setzer, I don't know how to do it. Each album seems to be different enough that it shouldn't be lumped in with the album that preceded it. Some might say Stray Cats from Stray 1 to Blast Off would be one era. But I would say the differences between Stray 1 and Gonna Ball are significant. Blast Off is more cohesive than Rock Therapy.

Let's Go Faster is truly the most drastic departure stylistically from any other Stray Cats or Setzer solo release. That alone may qualify it as its own era. Choo Choo Hot Fish took an exciting step forward to bring Stray Cats music into the 90s while embracing its past, using some of the Modern Rock elements from LGF and bringing in some rockabilly along with classic Dave Edmunds production.

And of course, there's The Knife Feels Like Justice and Live Nude Guitars in the middle of all that. Those 2 Setzer solo releases are also very different from one another.

And all of this happened before the BSO. From 1994 to 2000, the 1st 4 BSO albums were an evolution, rather than an era. And ever since, Brian has changed up styles with each release. This might mean I'll enjoy some albums less than others, but I love the variety Brian has given us for 30+ albums.

I would love to see the same variety in the various tours, but people do pay to see the hits. Having said that, I am very excited to hear what this latest incarnation pulls off on the upcoming tour. The Red, Hot, and Live CD may be my favorite live Setzer album, and I hope there's similar documentation for this tour as well.

Versatility-billy

Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990)   STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 10:23 am

Great song but Brian was a lousy playback singer... Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56

PostSubject: Re: STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990)   STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Hah!

my favourite period was trully Blast Off, 1989-90, but Let's Go Faster it's not my period at all. However, I must confess that 1990 was the year in which the Cats sounded the most powerful. BUTTTTT, and a big BUT, Blast Off is sure the best year for me. I think that was the time when the Cats reached their best. If there was a defintion for them, that would be Blast Off (at least in my eyes)
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990)   STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 11:01 am

You are right Rickabilly when you talk about the big differences between each Brian's records.
This said, speaking about "era" I wanted to mean that from 1988 to 1991 (except for the Blast Off time in 1989, Jon is right) we had a Brian with long hair and a little more modern sound for example. And Cross Of Love is a good sum up of this "era". (The song, as everyone knows, has been recorded three times)
In the spirit, Live Nude Guitars and Let's Go Faster are not so far one from the other in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990)   STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 12:58 pm

You are utterly right, Setzerado.

LNGuitars and LGFaster are somehow in the same spirit, specially if you have listened to the LGFaster Demos. They did really sound like LNG ;-) Pity those demos weren't the final cut to LGFaster...
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990)   STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Oh yes, these demos were perfectly in the spirit of this years.
Let's Go Faster deserved a chance in Europe & the US in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990)   STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

STRAY CATS - Cross Of Love (Aussie TV, 1990)
Page 1 of 1