Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Springsteen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
enjay07

PostSubject: Springsteen   Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:25 pm

I had a first this week and got to see The Boss in concert. All I can say is WOW! I had no idea what to expect and I was completely blown away.

One of my friend's and I have discussed the virtues of seeing songs performed almost exactly as they were recorded, or performed "open to interpretation" at a concert (given the fact a musician is playing virtually same setlist night after night....a little variety has to be nice). I was impressed by what a tight, precise show we saw Thursday night.

The biggest surprise of the night, for me, was when he brought a 10 or 11 yr old girl up on stage to sing with him, and the crowd grew quiet and he encouraged her to sing, which she did....it was amazing! I can't tell you the name of the song, I could only think of how amazing it was to be onstage with Bruce Springsteen and to have the whole audience listen to you!

Early in the evening he also found a young fan in the crowd holding up a sign requesting "Badlands" and Bruce told the crowd "Our future is secure!" (also told the kid he wouldn't have to go to school the next day--"tell them the Boss told 'em it was ok" how awesome).

Twice Bruce walked out into the crowd on the floor and to a walkway built splitting the GA floor space almost in half and sang a couple songs out there, shaking hands with fans the whole time, once "crowd surfing" his way back to the stage (opportunity to lay hands on Bruce missed...oh well).

Bruce took time during the concert to remember victims of recent Hurricane Sandy, and to remember lost friends/bandmates, the great Clarence Clemons & Danny Federici.

I don't know if I can tell you my favorite song during the concert I was too busy soaking in all the atmosphere being created by a musician for whom I have a new found respect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen   Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:09 am

Huge fan here, 22 shows and counting. I could talk/write about Bruce for days, ask Rickabilly! Glad you had a blast. The setlist changes each night, and he pulls some signs from the crowd at random. It's fun seeing more than one show on the same tour, so try to catch another if you can. It's very addictive!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen   Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 am

Here's the thing that stood out for me: Because he was performing in Nebraska, he opened with three songs from the Nebraska album: Reason to Believe (grinding in a blues boogie style - think ZZTop's La Grange), Johnny 99 (in a Zydeco style), and Atlantic City. Later, he included State Trooper (just Springsteen and a black Gretsch), Open All Night, and Highway Patrolman. That's six, count 'em, six songs from the Nebraska album, one more than he would play from his latest album, Wrecking Ball.

The Nebraska album is an acoustic album from 1982. Each one of the Nebraska songs was performed in a vastly different setting from the album version, using his 17-piece band. My favorite of these was the boogie woogie rave-up of Open All Night. Roy Bittan's driving barrelhouse piano kicked off the proceedings, which featured solos from each member of the horn section. It could have easily passed for a Wynonie Harris or Roy Brown tune. Good rockin' tonight indeed.

Bruce is a great showman, to be sure. I was oh-so-close to touching the hem of The Boss's garment, as he used the sing-along Hungry Heart as an opportunity to crowd surf. He pulled signs requesting songs from the audience, incorporating at least 3-4 of them in his 26-song set, including Santa Claus is Coming to Town for the very first time following the passing of Clarence Clemons. He tried a few "ho ho ho's" and immediately shouted, "Big man, we need ya!" He relied on the crowd to cover Clemons' vocals, and Clemons' nephew, Jake Clemons, impressively handled the saxophone solo.

Dancing In the Dark is a moment in the show where Bruce usually invites a girl onstage to dance with him (like the video). This time, he encountered a sign that said "Bruce, I love you. But I really want to dance with Max." So Bruce made it happen, bringing her up to the drum riser to dance with Max Weinberg, while Bruce attempted to assist the time-keeping duties on snare. Then he gravitated to another sign that said "All the way from Down Under to dance with Bruce." So he invites the sign-holder to the stage: a twenty-something guy, who did a very credible Courteney Cox impression dancing with The Boss.

I am certainly not the die-hard Springsteen fan some of my HDVDL brethren are, but I was thoroughly impressed with the concert. I hesitate to call it a concert, as it seemed more like a revival. The songs I was less familiar with had me hanging on every word, while the more iconic numbers found me belting 'em out with the rest of the 12,000+ in attendance.

Here's the setlist, in case you need it:

Reason to Believe
Johnny 99
Atlantic City
Hungry Heart
We Take Care of Our Own
Wrecking Ball
Death to My Hometown
My City of Ruins
Does This Bus Go Stop at 82nd Street?
Sherry Darling
Lost in the Flood
State Trooper
Trapped
Open All Night
Shackled and Drawn
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Raise Your Hand
Highway Patrolman
Backstreets
Badlands
Land of Hope and Dreams
ENCORE
Thunder Road
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Tenth Avenue Freeze Out

Boss-a-billy

Last edited by Rickabilly on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen   Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:11 am

Wow Rick! What an impressive write up of your experience! I'm glad you got to see that particular show, and I'm glad you were able to experience it that close to the stage. It's a real hoot to say the least, to be that close to the action. I love the Sessions Band arrangement of Open All Night. The version on Live in Dublin reminds me of something from a radio show in the 1940's. One of the things I love about Springsteen's artistry is how he recasts arrangements of his back catalog, especially the tracks from Nebraska. Wrecking Ball is a great album, his best since The Rising in my opinion. I love that he's blended E Street and the Sessions bands to create an extremely versatile outfit capable of playing any genre of music. Great move in the post Clemmons/Federici era.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen   Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 pm

The local newspaper reviewer is a big Springsteen fan, though his concert pedigree is only about 12 Boss shows. He put this show at the top of all the Springsteen shows, and slotted it in his top 10 all-time of the thousands of shows he has seen.

This was the first time I've been to a show of this magnitude where I didn't know the artist's catalog inside and out, where I couldn't sing every song by heart. Being about 20 feet from stage the whole night, I almost felt I was intruding amongst the rabid fans, crashing their party. But the Boss was preaching to everyone: the converted, and the soon-to-be-converted, and it didn't stop me from having a great time.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen   Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Again, wow! This is your first show of his in a while right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen   Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:40 pm

I spent the past week listening to that Lincoln, Nebraska show from 28 years ago in anticipation of this show. I noticed Bruce spends a lot less time telling long, detailed stories in between songs now, and still the 2012 show clocked in at just over 3 hours! The Nebraska songs from that 1984 show were stripped down to guitar and harmonica, just like the album. Born In the USA was the album of that tour... man, that album was everywhere then. His biggest album, yet it only yielded one song on this last show.

Imagine if Setzer had a tour, and broke out one or two songs each from Live Nude Guitars, The Knife Feels Like Justice, and 13 but didn't play Stray Cat Strut? I love the point you make about catching several shows to enjoy the variety of the setlists. What if Setzer toured enough to have each setlist vary by 9 or 10 songs?

I don't mean to compare. Brian Setzer picks a red hot setlist, and brings it to every town, so that nobody misses anything and has a great time. Every time I see Setzer, it's like seeing an old friend again. It's comfortable, but it's rockin'.

Bruce Springsteen is an icon. He plays 15,000-seat arenas and sells out stadiums. He has a well-rehearsed band, some of whom have played 35+ years with him, and can and does dig deep into his catalog each night, making each show a unique event.

I won't choose one over another. Actually, I kinda did. Both the Springsteen and newly-added Setzer KC shows went on sale the same day. I had to decide where to put my money. Did I want to see another Christmas tour, or pay the cost to see the Boss? I don't regret my decision. I really enjoyed my Springsteen experience, and I can't wait to read more from all of you about the Setzer shows.

Setzsteen-a-billy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen   Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Born in the USA was my first tour/show. I used to have that Lincoln show on cassette years ago. Great setlist, with an awesome E Street version of Atlantic City. As far as the storytelling goes, he cut back on a lot of that during the Tunnel of Love tour, didn't do much on the '92-'93 tour, but brought it back big time for the solo acoustic Ghost of Tom Joad tour. The E Street reunion and Rising tours didn't have much storytelling either, although the Devils and Dust tour had plenty. This tour musically is rock and soul!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
k2green

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen   Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:28 pm

The shows bruce performed during the late 70's and early 80's were some of the greatest concerts ever. Nobody has come close to that energy and passion. In 1978 he played the Capitol Theater in NJ promoting Darkness on the Edge of Town - you can see the show on youtube - may be the single best performance in the history of r'n'roll. It was also his birthday that night, playing in his home state.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen   Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 am

Ah yes, I've seen clips from that show, and listened to an audio recording as well. Great tour! The Austin show included with the Darkness box is pretty good too, albeit with inferior sound compared to the officially released Hammersmith '75 show. I was hoping that there would be an officially released cd set from one of the '78 shows, but nothing yet. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen   

Back to top Go down

Springsteen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: Other Artists-
Jump to: