Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New member with a request

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrMonte

New member with a request Empty
PostSubject: New member with a request   New member with a request Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 1:22 pm

Hello - just to introduce myself: I am 54 and a drummer, and I've only recently discovered the total greatness of the Brian Setzer Orchestra. I've also long been a fan of the Stray Cats, but for whatever reason I've only started appreciating just how great they are now.

I have a question for you guys. I love to drum along to the Brian Setzer Orchestra recordings. They are challenging, interesting, and may I add for a man my age, exhausting! Smile But leaving that aside, my question is this:

I am interested in exploring similar artists to the BSO, but none that I've been able to find on my own come close. I'm a rocker at heart, and I love the aggressiveness and guitar driving the BSO, combined with the classic swing music underneath. Other groups I've found have been either more rockabilly, or more swing (e.g. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy). NO PROBLEM with either of those approaches, but I'm trying to find other music with the power of the BSO. That great high energy swing music, with the great guitar and aggressive, confident vocals.

So...any suggestions? And thank you in advance! I'm looking forward to hearing from you, and to being part of your group.

MrMonte
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New member with a request   New member with a request Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 6:29 am

Hard to say actually if there's something like the BSO.

However, my advise is that you listen to Bernie Dresel recordings. He was the man, he was the drummer for Brian. He is playing with Gordon Godwin's Big Phat Band and though is more classical jazz, the drumming is awesome as well as some recordings with Linda Eder.

But, when it comes to drumming at all, no one is to me, better than Pete Thomas. His sound is perfect magic as well as his arrangements and taste, whatever the recording he is in, including the boring Elvis Costello. Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
MrMonte

PostSubject: Re: New member with a request   New member with a request Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 6:35 am

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
Hard to say actually if there's something like the BSO.

However, my advise is that you listen to Bernie Dresel recordings. He was the man, he was the drummer for Brian. He is playing with Gordon Godwin's Big Phat Band and though is more classical jazz, the drumming is awesome as well as some recordings with Linda Eder.

But, when it comes to drumming at all, no one is to me, better than Pete Thomas. His sound is perfect magic as well as his arrangements and taste, whatever the recording he is in, including the boring Elvis Costello. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll follow up. I'm not, btw, looking at this strictly from a drumming perspective (though that really interests me and I appreciate what you said). I'm wondering about music I'll like because it captures those great elements of the BSO.

Thanks, I'm excited about hearing everyone's ideas!

MrMonte
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New member with a request   New member with a request Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 8:24 am

You can wait till the cows come home...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member with a request   New member with a request Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member with a request
Page 1 of 1