Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Capo help.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
setzerino

setzerino

Capo help. Empty
PostSubject: Capo help.   Capo help. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 11:46 pm

Ive just bought a capo and im starting to understand some of the theory behind the chords
(if you put the capo on the third fret and play a D it automatically becomes a F)
Im kind of understanding the rules behind it but heres where i get confused. I got a tabb from the net and it says to play with the capo on the first fret then lists the chords, do i play the chords in there original shapes or do i take the capo into account and ( oh my god im confusing myself even now)

Im sure you understand what i mean.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

Capo help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capo help.   Capo help. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 5:43 am

If there is written that you should put the Capo on the first fret, I'm quite sure, that the Chords mean just the Shape of the Chord you play. But just try it out, if you have a record of the Song, you'll hear it if your not in the right tune.

Paul
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Capo help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capo help.   Capo help. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 12:32 pm

setzerino wrote:
Ive just bought a capo and im starting to understand some of the theory behind the chords
(if you put the capo on the third fret and play a D it automatically becomes a F)
Im kind of understanding the rules behind it but heres where i get confused. I got a tabb from the net and it says to play with the capo on the first fret then lists the chords, do i play the chords in there original shapes or do i take the capo into account and ( oh my god im confusing myself even now)

Im sure you understand what i mean.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Usually if the tab is noting the use of a capo in specific, then even though the
chords noted are played as such your key has changed and "suppose" to align
with the recorded music you are trying to comp.

this usually isnt the case with tab or sheet music. Its usually a quick and stupid
transposing with basic chord shapes unlike what the artist was doing.
Also some of these transcriptions dont take into account that the guitarist may have
been playing a half step down as do many many players.. or that if its a radio hit
it was sped up in the recording to make it fit format, this changes the pitch slightly
if it was done post pro tools/cubase era. If it was an analog recording then its just not
in standard pitch.

in the end... use the capo, play the chords on the tab, learn the tune and you now
have that much more fretboard knowledge! you will always have time to figure out
how the use of a capo transposes chord shapes (ex. D, E, G, Am, Em) up and down
the fretboard. I love to use a capo on acoustic guitar with the key of C (open 1st pos.)
at the 5th fret. this is actually the key of F in standard pitch but playing first position
F chord just doesnt sound that great nor does it feel good. capo'd at the 5th in open
pos. C sound delicious with a bit o delay! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Capo help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capo help.   Capo help. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Tabs from the internet don't always specify (most of the time they specify Capo Chords), but if you were playing off of say sheet music w or w/o TAB, you would have these two markings:

1. Chords Relative to Capo (OR Capo Chords)

2. Concert Chords (OR Sounding Chords)

For an example take the first chord off of Setzer's Every Tear That Falls off of Live Nude Guitars. It's an E major chord (not major 7th just E major). Since there are multiple guitars on the recording to play it for one guitar, I arrange that song with a capo on the 2nd fret. So, I play a D-chord shape, same distance from the capo as if the capo were the open strings, and it "sounds" a whole step higher as an E chord.

1. So the chord relative to the capo is D.
2. and the concert chord is E.

The whole idea of a capo is to transpose open position chord shapes like E, A, D, C, G higher up the neck to enable you to play in diff. keys.

One more thing, if you take that chord transcription of I Won't Stand in Your Way that I posted last week, and put a capo on your guitar (3rd fret) and play the chords I wrote down as Capo Chords, you can play along in key to the Rant & Rave version of the song.

Hope that be of some help to ye.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Capo help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capo help.   Capo help. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 3:25 pm

as cool as capo's can be for open chording... it sounds almost folky for
"i wont stand in your way" since the guitar tonic on the album is E flat
(detuned a half step). He is quoted"?" as not wanting to perform it live
because it was too high and as he got older he couldnt sing it, but then
you see him pull it off on the Live in Japan DVD with the advent of the spectrasonic
C melody Baritone. Which is letting him perform it one and a half steps lower
than he originally recorded it in Eb

btw.. thanks for stepping up with some transcriptions for folks to learn these songs, Nikko
decided to let that go as he's too busy playing live music these days.

Back to top Go down
vic

vic

Capo help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capo help.   Capo help. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 5:53 pm

Personally, I've always disliked capos'. It's the lazy novice guitarists way of changing key IMO. I realize if you're just learning guitar, bar chords are a ways away, but in the long run it's a crutch. Seems to me that every guy I ever saw in church bangin out open chords to Kum-by-ya on an Ovation, also used a capo.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Capo help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capo help.   Capo help. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 9:08 pm

vic wrote:
Personally, I've always disliked capos'. It's the lazy novice guitarists way of changing key IMO. I realize if you're just learning guitar, bar chords are a ways away, but in the long run it's a crutch. Seems to me that every guy I ever saw in church bangin out open chords to Kum-by-ya on an Ovation, also used a capo.

uh oh.. I think you just made the Iceman ( the original ice man Albert collins) turn over in
his grave!
Capo help. Albert

..but I know what you mean, and that image of capo'd ovations unfortunately still seems to
pervade the chasms of my mind too. ( i still have my 86' ovation celebrity but now its flat black with a Tiki on it). Capo's have their place but there's no excuse for using a capo that cant be fixed with some serious woodshedding until you can move up and down the fretboard with bar chords and inside chords. 6 frets power chords are a must! Suspect
..sorry this went way off tangent from the thread topic

btw... check your mail tomorrow for a bevy of bar chords.
Back to top Go down
setzerino

setzerino

Capo help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capo help.   Capo help. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 6:25 am

Im learning barre chord at the moment should i use these instead of a capo? I dont really understand all tha changing key talk but if using barre chords is better in the lon run then i'll stick to them.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Capo help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capo help.   Capo help. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 6:29 am

setzerino wrote:
Im learning barre chord at the moment should i use these instead of a capo? I dont really understand all tha changing key talk but if using barre chords is better in the lon run then i'll stick to them.

Bar chords will take you far, especially on one guitar!
...it is said beware of the man with one gun!
-nuff said. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Capo help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capo help.   Capo help. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 1:30 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
...it is said beware of the man with one gun!

I think you meant the man with the golden gun, right?

Capo help. Lee0807_468x537

setzerino wrote:

Sorry if I confused ye with that talk. In the long run, you need to develop your skills with both barre chords and open chords. Unfortunately, yes, some people do abuse capos and use them in all kinds of non-essential musical situations, but there are times when you need them for a specific sound or to play a specific song/chord progression that would be difficult/impossible to fret regularly. Again, use your discretion and judgment when deciding when/if to use them, and realize that this type of judgment only comes from time spent playing and learning the instrument. Good luck to ye.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Capo help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capo help.   Capo help. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Yes, I dont always use a capo..but when I do its
Dos Equis

Capo help. Dosequis_interesting

stay thirsty my friends!
Back to top Go down