Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

hey TV - Setzer's speakers...

Go down 
+2
tvthewiredturtle
ruger9
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ruger9

ruger9

hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Empty
PostSubject: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 8:02 am

Hey man, we all know Brian uses V30's, but do have any verification for that? I was reading an old interview where Brian says his guitar tech at that time- Billy Zoom- loaded his cab with "30 watt celestions"... now, those are either G12H30s, OR Brian's just assuming they are V30 because of the name Vintage 30.

AND... while I have your attention... look down a couple threads, I had a question about the wiring on one of your 6120's... it's the thread titled "might be Gretsch hunting".
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 1:38 pm

ruger9 wrote:
Hey man, we all know Brian uses V30's, but do have any verification for that? I was reading an old interview where Brian says his guitar tech at that time- Billy Zoom- loaded his cab with "30 watt celestions"... now, those are either G12H30s, OR Brian's just assuming they are V30 because of the name Vintage 30.

AND... while I have your attention... look down a couple threads, I had a question about the wiring on one of your 6120's... it's the thread titled "might be Gretsch hunting".
Its bible fact jack! Smile

I have communicated with Billy a few yrs back about dialing my bassman rig to the 9's setzer style prior to having Tophat amps rebuild it. He was too busy but he affirmed the V30s with heavy duty wiring harness at 4ohms. (so I went overboard with Speakon oxygen free 12gauge cable instead of
monster cable, its what I use for house installation/live sound apps)
Rich Modica has spelled out these V30s clearly in one of my Guitar Player mags with Setzer on the cover. Its the November 1998 issue, page 50 in the sub-article "setzers
tone section".

BTW..newly built Celestion British heritage G12H (pre rola greenback)
and British Vox alnico blue. This is the best cab and speaker duo EVER for a closeback rig
if you are NOT into having "that" Setzers Gretsch sound. I wish I still had these spkrs to play with.
hey TV - Setzer's speakers... L_580e7435f9573893440097954730c2b2
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 1:58 pm

Thanks TV... we always go to YOU for the "inside scoop!"
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 9:10 am

Aha! As a matter of fact I have two brand, spanking new Celestion Vintage 30's sitting in their boxes right next to me while typing. I'm gonna put them in my 2x12 cab in time for our next gig. While building the cab (thanks to Tavo for specs on the old hoodoovoodoolounge board), the only 12"s I had at hand were cheapos taken from a broken Fender FM212. So I'm suspecting a huuuuge tonal difference Very Happy

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 5:18 am

gretschoholic wrote:
Aha! As a matter of fact I have two brand, spanking new Celestion Vintage 30's sitting in their boxes right next to me while typing. I'm gonna put them in my 2x12 cab in time for our next gig. While building the cab (thanks to Tavo for specs on the old hoodoovoodoolounge board), the only 12"s I had at hand were cheapos taken from a broken Fender FM212. So I'm suspecting a huuuuge tonal difference Very Happy

Anders

Hey Anders
How did those new Celestions work out?

John
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 6:20 am

shaker wrote:
Hey Anders
How did those new Celestions work out?

Well, first of all, my cabinet became heavier.... Laughing Seriously, they sound pretty a helluva lot better than the old ones, but I probably haven't played enough to break'em in yet. But I'm working on it... Wink

[img]hey TV - Setzer's speakers... CIMG0355[/img]
"The Voice Of Rock'n'Roll"

[img]hey TV - Setzer's speakers... CIMG0354[/img]
Halfway through the process

The speakers I originally put in there were from a broken cheapo, so I nicked the speakers before we threw it away. They served the purpose for a while... But yeah, the Vintage 30's sound GOOD! cheers

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 10:22 am

Its going to take a few weeks for them to settle in... you can take
febreze or diluted fabric softener and slowly mist the speaker cones
(NOT the coil/coil cap..that must be covered) until they are slightly
damp from absorbing the "spritz".. let em thoroughly dry and then
do the same process again.
This is just speeding up the processs of loosening the cone's fibers
that happen naturally over the yrs from constant playing (and yes
well broken in V30s really really sound nice)..

You can go tooooo far in this process and a good indicator of that is
the rib marks of the cone disappearing... that would be scary.
..or not. I for one dont want to screw up $180 worth of speakers to
that extent.

The other process of speeding up the break in process is to attach
a small transformer with a 9volt battery to each speaker load. you should hear the audible "Hum".. leave it that way for several days.
This is suppose to break in the voice coil.
Its like the old folk guy technique of laying a brand new acoustic guitar
across a home stereo speaker with the music cranked in a room for a week.

...then again you could just practice every day at a good volume and then gig the hell out of the rig... this would be the Rock n Roll way. Smile
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 11:19 am

Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 12:36 pm

sidelake bob wrote:
New amps by Billy zoom.

http://gretschpages.com/forum/billy-zooms-jet-set/a-vist-to-zoom-studios-and-a-listen-to-the-prototy/18065/page1/

yep that was the thread I was talking about, and this
particular amp makes my nips perk:
hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Zoomco10

Although BZ really needs to get a good pro cab covering guy... Smile I didnt want to say that out loud, it just slipped out. yah.. now thats its
out... sheeze man, have the guys that cover badcat and matchless do the tolex jobs.
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 3:54 pm

yeah, that Cowboy amp is the one I was drawn to as well. Who knows how long until they are available... and anybody know, will these be thru Gretsch/made by Victoria ($$$)? or is the a BZ project all on his own?
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 5:32 pm

That cowboy amp sounds great! I'd love to get my hands on that one and his 30/10 rough blonde amp. Then get a nice SD dyna equipped jet (maybe ditch my tele...)

I think in a thread, BZ noted that the amps would be not overly expensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - Setzer's speakers...   hey TV - Setzer's speakers... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hey TV - Setzer's speakers...
Page 1 of 1