Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Pretenders!

Go down 
+2
Jess
Andi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Andi

Andi

The Pretenders! Empty
PostSubject: The Pretenders!   The Pretenders! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 7:29 pm

The Pretenders are one of those bands I've always kinda taken for granted- they have a ton of hits, they sound fantastic, hear 'em on the radio all the time and don't change the station, but never got INTO. In the last couple weeks though, I've been hearing this song, which has really made me sit up and take notice.

By the way, you look fantastic,

Andi
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

The Pretenders! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pretenders!   The Pretenders! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 11:16 pm

The beat, the beat, the beat Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

The Pretenders! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pretenders!   The Pretenders! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks for posting this video, Andi. I've been praising this album, Break Up the Concrete, since it came out a month ago. There are at least three songs on it that have a rockabilly or a Bo Diddley/Rebels Rule feel to them. And there are a couple of nice ballads as well (love Nothing Man!). They played Farm Aid in September sandwiched between Jerry Lee Lewis and Willie Nelson and performed mostly newer stuff - Don't Cut Your Hair, Boots of Chinese Plastic, and included Thumbelina to complete a full-on rockabilly set. They have a pedal steel guitarist as a regular in the band and they sound terrific. I'll say it again: touring with the Stray Cats last year must have had some influence on the direction of the new album. I'm a fairly big Pretenders fan and feel like this is the best album they've done since Learning to Crawl.

Despite Chrissie Hynde's militant support of PETA and veganism, I still find her every bit as enticing as I did back in 1980! Still not quitting cheeseburgers, though!

Tangentally speaking, I have to give credit to one of the most important albums of my pre-teen years. In late December 1979, Paul McCartney and an all-star cast put on a series of concerts to benefit the people of Kampuchea (now Cambodia). The resulting benefit album hit the stores the next year, and I immediately picked it up for the Paul McCartney/Wings set. I liked The Beatles and Elvis and a lot of 50s artists, but as far as the music of the day, I was subject to whatever the corporate rock radio stations rammed down my throat. Bands/Artists like Styx, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Kansas, Zeppelin, etc. were actually current acts, and not "Classic Rock" staples yet. But plenty of great music wasn't getting airplay. The album from those concerts The Concerts for the People of Kampuchea, a 2-LP set, had a huge influence on me, as it contained songs from bands I knew like Wings, Queen and The Who, while introducing me to bands like The Clash, Rockpile (Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds), The Specials, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Elvis Costello & the Attractions, and The Pretenders. I didn't have older brothers or sisters to inform my musical tastes, so this album was quite the eye and ear-opener.

As for the Pretenders, I knew Brass in Pocket, but didn't know anything about their punkier side, which I heard in all its defiance on the Kampuchea album. Later on, I saw a VHS version of concert highlights, where McCartney performed Lucille, Ian Dury performed Sweet Gene Vincent, and Rockpile took on Little Sister with Robert Plant on lead vocals. There aren't too many records out there that had the impact of this one. I shall always remember it with great affinity.

Tattooed Love Boys-billy
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

The Pretenders! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pretenders!   The Pretenders! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 9:10 am

Fantastic !
Thanks a lot Andi.
Back to top Go down
laurent327

laurent327

The Pretenders! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pretenders!   The Pretenders! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 11:09 am

Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

The Pretenders! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pretenders!   The Pretenders! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 11:26 am

Or don't. I would encourage you to support a new release by actually buying the CD. If it were a rare show that never has the chance to see the light of day, or something long out of print, that's one thing, but I like The Pretenders, and I would like to see them get paid.

Annoying lecture-billy
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

The Pretenders! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pretenders!   The Pretenders! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 1:59 am

Yes, for sure it's better to buy some new releases from the bands we want to go on.
I bought this one yesterday and the Imelda May's album too. Cool
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

The Pretenders! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pretenders!   The Pretenders! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 4:24 pm

I Like it!
Can't think of any other Pretenders song that i really like, but i've never really given them a chance.....only listening to the hits, as i was a big Blondie fan instead at the time.
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

The Pretenders! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pretenders!   The Pretenders! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 12:25 am

I like the Pretenders since a long time ago.
That's probably thanks to Brian when he wrote the song "Three Guys" in memory of Pete (the drummer for what I remember). As I liked the song, I wanted to know who were this "Pretenders". It was in 1986...
This new record is, in my opinion, the best they have ever made. Rick said something really interesting : a really rockin' record after a tour with Stray Cats... The two bands were friends since a long time ago and I remember Chrissie & Brian jamin' on the last days, no ?

This said, Steve, Blondie was a killin' band too !! Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Pretenders! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pretenders!   The Pretenders! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Pretenders!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: Other Artists-
Jump to: