Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best rhythm guitarists

Go down 
+10
Davy Jones
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
Sharky
pony65k
Rickabilly
Budgie
donpepe
Guitarmaniac
Brett
scatcatcnut
14 posters
AuthorMessage
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

Best rhythm guitarists Empty
PostSubject: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 3:59 am

I always think that rhythm guitar gets overlooked -even though 90% of any song is basically chords being generated. Obviously Brian brings a lot of interest to his rhythm parts with his travis picking etc - but wondered who everyone's top rhythm guitarists were.

Heres my list;

Wilko Johnson (Dr Feelgood) - the true master of the telecaster -his choppy style is instantly recognisable

Malcom Young (AC/DC) -surely no explanation req'd for this one!

Rick Parfitt (Status Quo)- say what you like about Quo but keeping that driving pattern going through the full set takes some stamina.

Johnny Ramone (The Ramones) - pretty much same reason as above!

Jimmie Vaughan -(for his Fabulous Thunderbirds work) - setting aside his wonderfully economical lead playing -the way his guitar drives the songs seems more central to the groove than the bass & drums.

I would also say that the true power of the rhythm guitar is best appreciated in the live arena -having seen all of the above I can safely vouch for their ability to make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck!!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 6:17 am

scatcatcnut wrote:
I

Malcom Young (AC/DC) -surely no explanation req'd for this one!

Rick Parfitt (Status Quo)-

Yep, these two guys.

But first of all Malcom!!!!!
Amazing rhythm in his hands and tight as a clockwork...listen to High Voltage live during the long solo.
Awesome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 6:36 am

Yep, Malcolm is awsome!
SoloDallas on Youtube has some cool AC/DC rythm Vids.

Last edited by Guitarmaniac on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 9:17 am

Jimmie Vaughan, the best in blues /R&B style
Dave Edmunds, all over champ
Grant Green, chords
Luther Tucker (?) The one in Muddy Waters's Headcutters
Keith Richards, need I say more
JimmyReed / Eddie Taylor, They can't be separated
Robert Johnson, one man, one guitar
Bo Diddley, name some other with his name in rhythm playin style, can't be found
Django Reinhardt - solo guitarist yes, but hey, he played also riddim
All the guys in James Brown's band . Jimmie Scratch Nolan
Willie Nelson - beautiful chords
Back to top Go down
Budgie

Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 9:54 am

Edward Van Halen is a PHENOMENAL rhythm geetar player! I know most of his recognition comes from his nutty-silly-crazy soloin', but just take a listen to his riffs!! Shame he turned into a bittler little old woman these past few years... I don't know what happens to these people.

Rolling Eyes

Budgie Anthony
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:08 am

Forgot Bo!! Saw him live a few times in UK in 80's -you could really appreciate evey nuance and twist he put into variations on the 'Bo Diddley' beat in the live context.

Would also agree re EVH as well!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 11:08 am

Probably one of the reasons you don't see lists of premier rhythm guitarists is because there are so many, and a lot of "lead" guitarists with impeccable timing could also make the list.

Some people might single out Tom Fogerty from CCR, but John Fogerty often tracked those parts himself, and for the last 2-3 years of the band after Tom left, John was the guitar, live and in studio. His swampy grooves are almost hypnotic at times, driving at others.

Other folks have singled out John Lennon as an ace rhythm player. That could be true, although I think it's hard to put that label on someone who was only tested on 3-minute pop songs. Once the Beatles gave up touring in 1966, they became a studio band exclusively, piecing together snippets and overdubs from dozens of takes and occasionally forgoing the guitars outright.

But one only has to soak in their catalog from 1962-66 to see that John, as much as Ringo, was the "beat" behind the Beatles. Critics hail Sergeant Pepper, or perhaps Abbey Road as being their best album. For me, it's the British version of A Hard Day's Night. John is in the pocket throughout the album. "Tell Me Why," "Can't Buy Me Love," "I'll Cry Instead," "I'll Be Back," "A Hard Day's Night," and my personal favorite "You Can't Do That," all showcase some mighty fine rhythm guitar.

Setzer. I don't know what he has to do with the topic, but since it's in the "All Things Setzer" section, I'll just say it again: Setzer. I do dig his rhythm playing when he lays down an acoustic track, especially on the Rockabilly Riot album and Mystery Train Kept a-Rollin'. I love the percolatin' Martin acoustic on Rockhouse.

I couldn't possibly say who the "best" in this field are. I just know who I like. And I definitely echo the sentiment about Malcolm Young of ACDC, and the guitarists for James Brown in the late 60s and early 70s: Jimmy Nolen & Catfish Collins are the two I can remember at the moment.

Luther Perkins
Steve Cropper

I could go on and on. I already have. Time to read about some more of your favorites.

Get Rhythm-billy
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 12:36 pm

Yeah, Steve Cropper is also cool.
I also think Chuck Berry is a good rythm player.
He may be not as precise as Malcolm Young but he basically made the fundament for Malcolms Style and any other Rock'n Roll Player today.

I also want to name a guitarist, who is maybe not known for his good rythm work.
Billy Burnette.
He's John Fogerty's current tour rythm guitarist, and his work is impressive.

Greets from Munich
Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 12:45 pm

I don't know what the general consensus is on KISS, but where would Paul Stanley sit as a rhythm guitarist?

Starman-a-pony
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Sharky

Sharky

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Bucky Pizzarelli - hands down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 12:59 pm

Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols ?
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 2:12 pm

I will keep this post short, but here be my 3 best (each from a diff. genre) in no particular order:

1. Freddie Green (Count Basie - Jazz)

2. James Hetfield (Metallica - Metal)

3. Keith Richards (Rolling Stones - Classic Rock & Roll)

Each of them brilliant in their own style, and big influences on rhythm guitar playing as we know it.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
Cristo

Cristo

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 7:06 pm

I gotta jump on this wagon:

"Keef" Richards

I just love their sound, make me wanna get up and-a-dance!
Back to top Go down
Bigbassape

Bigbassape

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 9:09 pm

Malcolm Young. No doubt
Phil Alvin- The Blasters
Dennis Danell- Social Distortion
James Hetfield
Rudy Schenker-Scorpions (argue all you want, the interplay between he and Mattias Jabs on 'Arizona' is awesome
Douglas 'Ranger Doug' Green- Rider's in the Sky. Rhythm guitar gets no better than this.

g
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 am

I always liked David Knopfler. After he left the Dire Straits I quit listening to them...
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Bigbassape wrote:

Douglas 'Ranger Doug' Green- Rider's in the Sky. Rhythm guitar gets no better than this.

I don't like to make to distinction between a rhythm and lead player. A good guitar player plays chords and leads well. To often in rock, the Rhytym player is really just not a very good player and unnecessary. The guitar become a prop for him to look good behind. I always loved that Setzer does both so well.

But you got me with Ranger Doug, I have never seen that guy hit 2 notes let alone a single note lead but he can chord change with the absolute best Jazz guys I've ever seen. Got to meet him at a concert once, very nice guy, willing to chat about all things music all night long.

"always drink upsteam from the herd"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best rhythm guitarists   Best rhythm guitarists Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best rhythm guitarists
Page 1 of 1