Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I'm back!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Iloveopiatesandgretsch

Iloveopiatesandgretsch

I'm back! Empty
PostSubject: I'm back!   I'm back! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 7:40 pm

Well I had a few different names early on, but the one I was mainly noticed for was, "Iloveopiates". I mostly posted in the cave in regards to esoteric tech specs along with t.v. However, being a fan I obviously kept a close watch over the couple of years I was gone from the boards, viewing both the official board and this one. And well after the official board demised yet again I thought that this place and Mandy keeping it up is the premier Setzer site on the net! So I couldn’t help but join back in on the fun!

Just a quick bio. I'm a 29 year old songwriter. And like allot of people I went through a Beatles phase. Also the fact of being a songwriter I remember saying to myself, 'why are they, the beates so good, who influenced them". And of course through reading interviews and also this was the mid to late 90's (I was still in high school mind you), so during this time period The Beatles Anthology was released. Anyhow they talked about their influences being all the 50's Rockabilly greats: Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Little Richard, Carl Perkins, Chuck berry, Johnny Burnet, and the big one Elvis, to name just a few. So I began immersing myself in rockabilly. And of course not being that off in age (compared to the music of the 1950's), I remembered Stray cats. So I started purchasing all their cd's I could get my hands on. Unfortunately during this time around 1994, most of the Cat's single album Cd's were hard to find or out of print. So, not being privy to the piracy I was forced to pick up many of the non authorized greatest hits compilation. Needless to say I was instantly hooked! Then of course around this time The BSO was on the heels of releasing their first record. So I bought that as well as Guitar slinger when it came out in 1996. I was immediately hooked on the guitar tone and style. Not only could this guy play amzing but he could also croon like Bobby Darrin! Looking back for some reason I feel a sense of pride among my other music friends of feeling like I discovered this bso music way befoe they did through the jump Jive an wail, gap commercial, and Swingers movie fame. But at the same time I knew it was good music so for them to get into it any way was fine by me. But while people in the mid to late 90's in my high school were all about grunge, they certainly thought I was strange walking down the hall with baggy pants and black and white swing shoes, sporting a big old quif! Anyhow that's my little story of how I got into the music of Setzer. And being a musician, I own two Setzer Hot Rod’s, one Setz signature, a power jet, and an acoustic arch top electrometric As well as many keyboards and recording equipment. I‘m also into vintage moog synths or any analog synths for that matter as well as vintage microphones and esoteric hand made guitar pedals of all sorts. And for an amp although I don’t have a baseman I have a closely sounding 1961 bandmaster with original matching cab and of course a 301 space echo that sits across the top!

So that's my story. Also I like the look of the redesigned message board. And seeing as I haven't been registered in a couple of years I have to say and sorry if I offend anyone but Wolfgang is my least favorite Bso album. I know everybody has their opinions and there is some wicked guitar playing on that album, but what drew me to the bso in the first place was the jazzy chords and swing thing, like a song like Brian’s take on Route 66 or Rainbow round my shoulder. There's not only great guitar work there but also great jazz crooning vocals.

All that being said I look forward to again being involved in one of my favorite artists discussions.

Opiates.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/themusicofmichaelthomas
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

I'm back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm back!   I'm back! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Welcome back! Just keep those opiates handy in case someone's assinine enough to have a Slim Jim v. Bernie Dresel discussion again. Twisted Evil

I dig your story. People can talk about how Stray Cats turned them on to Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, and others. But thousands, possibly millions more discovered these same great musicians via the Beatles. For me, I became aware of these artists through the music of the Beatles, but the music of the Stray Cats sealed the deal and motivated me to actually go out and buy the records/CDs.

Buying an artist's recordings is definitely a way to show your support. But when you enjoy them to the degree that you go out and buy the recordings of their heroes and influences, that's when you know you're a fan!

Under the Influence-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

I'm back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm back!   I'm back! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:57 pm

Slim Jim versus Bernie Dresal......Discuss
Back to top Go down
WildCat

WildCat

I'm back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm back!   I'm back! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 5:55 am