Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

more help needed TV!! re: 6G6-B

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ruger9

PostSubject: more help needed TV!! re: 6G6-B   Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:52 pm

So, whilst waiting for a Setzer Sig/Hot Rod to come around at a good price, I stumbled onto what might be a deal (a trade actually) for a '63 6G6-B. I was going to get a Marsh or Gomez AFTER I picked up the Gretsch, but my timing usually sucks. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Here's the scoop:

This '63 was modded by Gerald Weber. 2 mods: 1 turned the Bass channel into a guitar channel (which I read is a popular mod for these), and added a Master Volume (affects BOTH channels). Here's the nit: he stuck it in the chassis hole for the Presence control. The Presence pot is still in the chassis, hot-glued to the side. The owner doesn't know if it's still functional or not, but he's a serious nashville cat who's played with many pros and says it sounds great even w/o the Presence control.

So, I'm thinking, worst case, I don't like the MV mod, and take it to somebody to have it reversed & the Presence re-installed.

Best case, I LIKE the MV mod, and drill a NEW hole for the Presence in the faceplate & re-install it myself (assuming it's still functional, just inside the chassis.)

What do you think? Check out the modded '63 (I'd be trading for it sight-unplayed, but the guy really is a Nashville pro, so no worries on functionality), OR just wait & get one of the NEW Marshes or Gomez?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: more help needed TV!! re: 6G6-B   Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:50 am

ruger9 wrote:
So, whilst waiting for a Setzer Sig/Hot Rod to come around at a good price, I stumbled onto what might be a deal (a trade actually) for a '63 6G6-B. I was going to get a Marsh or Gomez AFTER I picked up the Gretsch, but my timing usually sucks. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Here's the scoop:

This '63 was modded by Gerald Weber. 2 mods: 1 turned the Bass channel into a guitar channel (which I read is a popular mod for these), and added a Master Volume (affects BOTH channels). Here's the nit: he stuck it in the chassis hole for the Presence control. The Presence pot is still in the chassis, hot-glued to the side. The owner doesn't know if it's still functional or not, but he's a serious nashville cat who's played with many pros and says it sounds great even w/o the Presence control.

So, I'm thinking, worst case, I don't like the MV mod, and take it to somebody to have it reversed & the Presence re-installed.

Best case, I LIKE the MV mod, and drill a NEW hole for the Presence in the faceplate & re-install it myself (assuming it's still functional, just inside the chassis.)

What do you think? Check out the modded '63 (I'd be trading for it sight-unplayed, but the guy really is a Nashville pro, so no worries on functionality), OR just wait & get one of the NEW Marshes or Gomez?

IF .... IF.... the transformers are all original, GET IT.. G-E-T it. Everything else
in the amp can be restored to spec and over spec'd with really good stuff that didnt exist back in the day.

The bass channel I have turned into a guitar channel, but its a simple mod I do
myself on all the 6G6-Bs I have owned or black/silverface AB165's I have turned into 6G6-Bs. You just clip out the treble damper that Leo fender used to
bleed off all the highs for a "bass". Its slightly quirky in that the treble control
adds gain as it is dialed up. If you dial back your guitars treble then it really gets
fun.
Anyway, I am concerned about the GW mod to that channel because the 6G6-B is different than the earlier 6G6 in that Fender disconnect one half of a preamp tube and in effect removed one gain stage that the earlier model had. Leo was constantly trying to clean up his cotton pickin amps to remove "distortion" and
"clipping", not realizing that this WAS AWESOME for guitarists.
The bass channel of the earlier blonde was more tweed, more grind... If this
happened to the mod of GW and he went master vol. then all kinds of things
changed and NEED to be changed back.
If you do like the master vol. (very much like the Tophat Regent 45 that nick
purchased) then the presence control can be relocated to the aux speaker jack at the back of the chassis. No one uses that stupid thing unless you "have" to play with 2 individual speaker cabs that hold 8ohms each, since the speaker jacks are wired in parallel for a total 4ohm load.

Dont worry though, like I said as long as nobody F'd the transformers you can
restore that 6G6-B and have a heavenly amp. Yes the Marsh and Gomez come very close in sound, but the output of these clones have more girth because of the transformers not being old iron. the clones are punching a near full 50 watts
while the original tranny's with small bottle 6L6's are down at 40watts.

When I got this blonde 6G6-B head I have now for $800, it cost me $80 in
labor and parts to have tophat amps (in virginia now) fix the "mods" some
one had done. They freakin blackfaced the amp and I had to have all the caps
replaced, but in the end I got mallory and sprague caps instead of the old tired
caps along with NOS allen bradley carbon comp resistors as the originals start drifting over time and with heat.

get that amp man, there is nothing more intoxicating to a vintage fender amp
freak than peering back into a warmly lit bassman and breathing in the
mojo of 40+ yrs of old wood, tolex,electronics, blood, beer, sweat,nicotine and tears baking to the glow of the cathode ray tubes!!

you just aint gonna get that with a marsh or gomez... they are a new pair of 501s compared to ol skool tool! Smile

fwiw....
If you are on the east coast, my buddy Brian Gerhard of Tophat amps will dial that amp in for you like no other. He is hands down one of the best amp builders
on the planet when it comes to AC30 and marshall style amps, plus he is a master on restoring vintage fender amps.
If you are on the west coast, my amp guy Kevin of Hemet Valley music repair
does all my rebuilding of fender amps and space echoes. He is a god of amp
magic in so cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
ruger9

PostSubject: Re: more help needed TV!! re: 6G6-B   Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:00 am

I'm on the east coast... NJ.

The transformers are all original. The owner gave me all the codes.

I got pics today, and was dissapointed. The head at some point had been painted black, then this owner removed all the paint... but man it looks beat up pretty bad. If I did get it, I'd HAVE to recover it... vintage is cool & all, and I like stuff that's been "relic'ed"... BY ME, but I at least need reasonably clean tolex. The thing is out IN SIGHT all the time in one of our family rooms.

The trade I'd be doing would put the "value" to me at $1100... the same price as a NEW Marsh. Is this a fair "price" for this amp, especially considering it could use new tolex?

I wonder how much it would cost to re-cover? Or how hard it would be to do myself...

Pics:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: more help needed TV!! re: 6G6-B   Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:39 am

ruger9 wrote:
I'm on the east coast... NJ.

The transformers are all original. The owner gave me all the codes.

I got pics today, and was dissapointed. The head at some point had been painted black, then this owner removed all the paint... but man it looks beat up pretty bad. If I did get it, I'd HAVE to recover it... vintage is cool & all, and I like stuff that's been "relic'ed"... BY ME, but I at least need reasonably clean tolex. The thing is out IN SIGHT all the time in one of our family rooms.

The trade I'd be doing would put the "value" to me at $1100... the same price as a NEW Marsh. Is this a fair "price" for this amp, especially considering it could use new tolex?

I wonder how much it would cost to re-cover? Or how hard it would be to do myself...

Pics:

it still looks SEZXY toooo Meeeee!!!
technically its worth no more than $900 cash tops because of the mods, but... new blonde
tolex smooth or rough is about $18 a yard. recovering that would involve just:
  • elbow grease
    a het gun or real good hairdryer (heating the tolex and old glue for pliability)
    a straightedge
    a utility knife
    a rattle can of 3m spray adhesive

Its not hard especially when you have the original pieces to lay out and trace on the new
material. I do it often.
I'd be happy to get you some from my supplier. It was very common for guys to shoot
the blonde amps black as they were embarassed at the "surf" blonde look.
another option is that I carry replacement cabs and they have instock the bassman
head cab if I remember correctly. Although thats alot more coin.

Just remember that when you have a Blonde fender 6G6-B bassman, you dont just
have something "like" it called a marsh or gomez. Smile

...this from a 2nd generation fender guy, my dad would expect no less a response from
me. Smile

ps. if we were talking about a Vox AC30 or Marshall I'd say screw it, buy a tophat amp
Back to top Go down
ruger9

PostSubject: Re: more help needed TV!! re: 6G6-B   Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:00 am

If I did do this trade, I'd probably treat it as a "long project" returning it to vintage. Recover (or maybe a new cab altogether), remove MV, put the presence back, etc.

How much for one of the Blonde Bassman head cabs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: more help needed TV!! re: 6G6-B   Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:45 pm

ruger9 wrote:
If I did do this trade, I'd probably treat it as a "long project" returning it to vintage. Recover (or maybe a new cab altogether), remove MV, put the presence back, etc.

How much for one of the Blonde Bassman head cabs?

I would not be able to divulge that info to you on this forum

email me.
Back to top Go down
ruger9

PostSubject: Re: more help needed TV!! re: 6G6-B   Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:59 pm

PM sent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: more help needed TV!! re: 6G6-B   

Back to top Go down