Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pleasently surprised.

Go down 
+2
pony65k
Riffs_yeah!
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Riffs_yeah!

Pleasently surprised. Empty
PostSubject: Pleasently surprised.   Pleasently surprised. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 12:04 pm

Hello,
First post, been lurking for a while, nice to finally be here as it were!
Played a lot of guitar in my teens/early twenties but then pretty much stopped bothering for the next 20 years, would occasionally pick one up for an hour. I always loved the Stray Cats and anything Rockabilly but never really learned how to play it, aside from the odd lick, so recently I bought a Gretsch Setzer model and a Fender amp and decided to have a go. The sound from this guitar is just a joy! Just sitting in my front room messing with it is fantastic.
I bought a teach yourself Brian Setzer DVD and was very surprised to find I could play 'Rock this Town' pretty much straight off, the Gretsch just seems to make me a better player, wonderful stuff. I'm 44 years old, receeding hair and out of shape and I'm rocking round the room pulling Setzer poses like a complete idiot!
Money very well spent.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Pleasently surprised.   Pleasently surprised. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi Riffs. Welcome to the boards. I'm new to the world of guitar. I'm interested to know which Fender amp you bought.

Thanks.

Regards,

René-a-pony
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Pleasently surprised.   Pleasently surprised. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 2:18 pm

Hey Riffs....welcome.

Isn't it funny that when we finally don't give a hoot anymore as to what people think, and our bodies (and hair) start to leave us, we really start having a great time with life?

Pose and play away!

Enjoy your Gretsch!
hrg
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Pleasently surprised.   Pleasently surprised. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 5:02 pm

welcome to the board Riffs, I just joined myself about a month ago and am glad I did-learned a lot about Brian's music here
and no, don't worry about looking like a complete idiot when you play, I dance to Stray Cats all the time-"Runaway Boys!!" Very Happy

Kelley
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: Pleasently surprised.   Pleasently surprised. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 7:27 pm

Welcome, riffs!

Which DVD are you referring to, specifically, the Hot Licks one?
Back to top Go down
Riffs_yeah!

PostSubject: Re: Pleasently surprised.   Pleasently surprised. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome.
The amp is a Fender Super Champ XD. I originally wanted a Bassman 59 but as I'm only playing in my front room (zero chance of me playing anywhere bigger) i realised I needed something I could get the right tone from with relatively low volume. This little amp is great, it has a nice 135ms delay as one of it's effects which sounds very nice to my untutored ear.

The CD is from Lick Library, it's just called Teach yourself Brian Setzer I think. It has:
Stray Cat Strut
Rock this Town
Runaway Boys
Built for Speed
Rumble in Brighton

So far I've only tried Rock this Town.

This should be a link.

http://www.licklibrary.com/store/stuart-bull/15679/learn-to-play-brian-setzer
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: Pleasently surprised.   Pleasently surprised. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 2:45 am

Interesting, that's a DVD I've never seen before.

Now GET BACK TO PRACTICING!! Smile
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Pleasently surprised.   Pleasently surprised. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 2:46 pm

enjoy yourself, this is a good place to waste time! Most everyone here is legit, except
maybe the magical mystery mullet and his trained white rabbit:

Pleasently surprised. Budgie_bunny_lead_wideweb__470x311,0
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pleasently surprised.   Pleasently surprised. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pleasently surprised.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: The cave - Guitar talk-