Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Practice progress

Go down 
+11
pony65k
ossi
jonhope
matt
tvthewiredturtle
Davy Jones
Riffs_yeah!
Pistol Pete
webelvis
Guitarmaniac
Andi
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Andi

Andi

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 1:39 pm

*deep breath*

Okay, here goes nothin'. Can't believe I'm putting this out there for the whole internet to see. I've videotaped myself practicing the guitar a couple times and have posted 10 minutes of my progress on YouTube. It's shot from the least flattering, most unattractive angle possible, I know - I'll do it differently next time (ie, from higher up for a better shot of the fretboard, and maybe even standing if I am able - right now I can't play standing up even half of what I can do sitting down!!)

If any of our local guitar heroes wouldn't mind taking the time to watch it, I could really use any constructive criticism you want to offer in terms of hand positions, gear settings, getting the most out of practicing, etc (before anyone mentions it, I do have a metronome and have practiced with it a couple times but the video would have been interminably long if I'd shown my struggles with that strict taskmaster!!)

By the way, I've only posted the intros to most songs because so far, that's all I know! Very Happy

Please be kind. Crying or Very sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umA9Jv1c3vM

(Gear note:
9 Dec practice was with the SSLVO through a Fender Mini Twin amp. 1 Jan practice was the SSLVO through a Danelectro Fab Echo and a Fender Blues Jr.)
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 1:58 pm

That's really brave andi, especially as a beginner.
I'm too tired (been awake since I got up in the morning yesterday) to point out anything I would improve, I just want to say that you can really see how much you've learned and improved your skills in just 1 month.
Definitly keep on playing and someday it will make "click" and you know you got it^^

For me practising hard stuff can be frustrating, especially when I play classical spanish acoustic etc stuff. but it's always worth to keep on working. It's a thing of motivating yourself.

I hope you understand what I mean, man my english always gets sloppy when I'm tired.

Good Job =)

Good night

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
webelvis

webelvis

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 2:25 pm

Chris is absolutely right, you already learned a lot!!
The only thing I could mention, is, that your right Hand is moving to much, but you'll get it after some time. Try to place it at the Bridge, and only move your Hand, not the arm, that makes you faster! Wink

I don't know how you handle it normally, but for practising it's best to keep the delay away at first, because you won't hear every mistake, and as frustrating as it is, if you want to learn Song correctly it's best to hear EVERY mistake you make. Also distortion is not good for practising, because it will "correct" your mistakes.

But don't get the criticism wrong, for the short time you play, that was really good!!! cheers

Paul
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
Andi

Andi

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 2:35 pm

Thanks guys. Paul, I normally don't practice with the amp or pedal at all, just the guitar. Occasionally I do use the amp and pedal because it sounds a little bit more like the real songs so it motivates me!! Smile There shouldn't be any distortion at all, but then I don't know what I'm doing. I had the amp set like so:
volume 6.5
treble 4.5
bass 4.5
middle 8 (no idea why I did that)
master 2
reverb 5

and the echo pedal had the repeat on about 1 slap and the mix set at probably about 60%

The sound is bad, it picked up a lot of ambient noise. Next time if I use the amp I'll put it much closer to the camera. It's all a learning process!

As for my hands, neither of them are actually doing exactly what my brain commands them to do just yet, but we're working on it.

sunny
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 2:54 pm

That was just a general advice with the distortion. Playing acoustic is great for practising, then you really have to work for every tone. My first guitar teacher used to say something like this: "when you're playing a piano, you just press a key and there is your tone, but as a guitarist you have to fight for every tone!" And he was right!
And don't worry, youll get that with the Hands after some time!!

For the settings of the Amp, try those:

Practice progress Stray_cat_strut-Brian-Setze

I don't have any of those Pedals, so I don't know if it's true, but they say if you set them up as shown there you'll have the same Sound as on the Stray Cats recording "stray cat strut"

Paul
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Hey Andi,
Well done!
Everyone learns the guitar at different rates, so I wouldn't be concerned too much how much you're progressing, rather just concentrating on progressing.
Personallly, I would say probably try more chord work to start off. Really listen to what you play, this will help you heaps. And the angle you hold the guitar looks a little uncomfortable, that's maybe why you can't play as much standing up. When you stand up, the guitar will sit different. Maybe try holding the body of the guitar flat againest your torso. Everyone else here has given you great advice as well.
I believe in giving help to players learning as much as I can, ask Rene although I haven't seen him play for a while, it's the best way to learn I reckon.
Just enjoy it, maybe if you're really keen or serious about it, see a teacher.
Keep up the good work, post more as you go along and if you wan't help or advice feel free yo PM me,
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Pistol Pete wrote:
Personallly, I would say probably try more chord work to start off. Really listen to what you play, this will help you heaps. And the angle you hold the guitar looks a little uncomfortable, that's maybe why you can't play as much standing up. When you stand up, the guitar will sit different. Maybe try holding the body of the guitar flat againest your torso.

Thanks for that Pete. I do a lot of basic chord changes when I practice but I mix it up with simple songs that I like, to keep myself motivated. But you're right, I need to do more on the chords and less on the "Baby Blue Eyes" and "Ollie Vee"!

I find that my left shoulder gets tired fast if I play standing up or with the guitar hanging flat rather than propped against me, so I don't practice for as long - that and I have a bad habit of wanting to see what my hands are doing - but working on playing the guitar flat against me instead of propped at an angle is high on my priority list.

Pistol Pete wrote:
Keep up the good work, post more as you go along and if you wan't help or advice feel free yo PM me,

Thank you! I really appreciate the help.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 3:18 pm

webelvis wrote:
For the settings of the Amp, try those:

Cool, thank you Paul!
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Hey Andi,
Playing the guitar is 10% mental and 90% physical. Having said that, you'll understand that muscles will develop and mechanical skills will develop as you go along. As to looking at the fretboard, that's a natural thing to do, as the mechanical skills develop you'll look less at it. I find that I play the guitar the same sort of height on my body when sitting or standing.
What I mean as to chord work, it helps with the hand positioning on the fretboard. One excercise I found useful was to wtite down all the chords I knew and play them in some sort of order. Then the next time to write the order down differentely, so as to make sure I was changing the hand shapes in different positions.

keep it up, you and Kid got a big gig soon haven't ya???
Back to top Go down
Riffs_yeah!

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 10:16 am

That is a great idea Andi, might as well use this whole new-fangled internet thingy to your advantage!
I think your doing very well but the guitar angle (as has been mentioned) looks wrong. I know it's very tempting to slide out the bottom of the guitar body like that because it allows you to watch your finger positions on the fretbaord, this will seem helpful at first with scales and stuff but it will quickly get awkward. Flatten the guitar against your body and try the scales again, it'll be trickier at first but will feel much more natural after a short while.
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 1:20 pm

Ok here goes my advice for ye:

All of the other responses are right as well, and they're pretty good suggestions. I'd also like to say well done for putting that up and good job with what you've learned so far. Remember, you're a beginner, and it takes time to progress on the guitar, so don't get discouraged, as eventually things will get easier and come more naturally.

That said, I think there are some things ye might want to work on.

First of all, about the sitting/standing gtr. positioning, remember that the Gretsch is a heavy guitar and you want your body, not your arms, supporting the weight. I would suggest along with repositioning the guitar, when playing standing up, maybe adjust your strap length up or down so that the weight of the guitar is more to your right side and off your left arm. Generally, this means to raise the height of the guitar relative to your waist. Also, that strap looks a little thin to me for that guitar, you might want to get one with a wider band.

Now for your technique. The whole point is economy of motion. You want to minimize excess movement from your hands. Let's start with the fret hand. This is hard to do, and it's something we all can work on, but try to keep your fingers close to the fretboard as you play. This is especially necessary for folks with longer fingers, as they have farther to travel compared to smaller fingers. Now for the pick hand, like webelvis said, bring it more from the wrist as opposed to the arm, although you're doing fairly well with that. I would say almost try to pick more like how you strum, but don't pull your wrist out as much from the body of the guitar. Also, try to hold more of the pick with your index finger and thumb, and try to keep it a little more towards parallel with the strings, although you still want some angle.

Again, though, none of that's too bad for just starting out. Technique can always be improved with practice. However, I wonder, have you ever played an instrument before guitar? If not, and this may seem like a somewhat radical idea, try practicing your rhythm counting beats (1-2-3-4, etc.) both with the metronome and gtr. and without the gtr. I say this only because on some of your "songs" excerpts, I don't see you keeping track of the beat, as most musicians tap their foot in time with the music to keep time. By doing this, you'll be able to "sync" up with and play along to a recording, band, or piece of music that you're learning to play.

Sorry if it seems like I pointed out a lot of things, but please realize that everyone needs to learn and work through these things when starting out, and there's no rush to tackle everything. Go at your own pace, and most of all just have fun with the instrument.

Hope that be of some help to ye.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks for the input fellas! I am certainly not discouraged at all- the advice I've been getting here, from the Gretschpages and from my guitar playing friends has been very inspirational and just spurs me on to try harder. So thank you all for being such great cheerleaders and coaches!!

Captain, I have been trying to find the "sweet spot" with the strap to take some of the weight off my left shoulder without success. I do have a much wider strap that I bought with my acoustic, I'll give it a go.

Thanks as well for the pointers on economy of motion- I know I don't have very good control over my hands and fingers just yet. I should mention that I'm actually left handed. I chose to play right handed because when I first held a guitar, it felt alien to me regardless of which direction the head was pointing (as opposed to it feeling "natural" to have the head on the right, which you would expect for a lefty.) The skills required from both hands for guitar playing aren't ones you develop in every day life anyway, so might as well train my hands to play the same way the majority of players do. Hopefully my travis picking won't suffer as a result (when I eventually start working on it!)

I find I've gotten into the habit of sometimes resting the edge of my right palm against the top of the bridge to "ground" my hand so I know where my fingers are in relation to the strings. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Should my right palm be touching the guitar at all (other than for palm muting?)

Controlling the pick is a struggle. When I choke up on it (have less of it poking out between my index finger and thumb) I find that on a downstroke my index finger ends up hitting the string before the pick because I still haven't gotten the hang of where the strings are in relation to my fingers and the pick. And, when I really start strumming, the pick turns every which way between my fingers- sometimes it's perpendicular to the strings, sometimes I realize I'm playing with the side of the pick!! I'm working on it though and gradually, unconsciously figuring out how much pressure I need to hold onto it with, where it needs to point for the best tone, and where it is in relation to the strings.

As for playing other instruments and keeping time- yes, I took piano for a couple years as in my early teens, played drums for two years in high school... and actually took guitar for a couple semesters in college. I understood the piano- notes are all in one line from left to right- and had a mental block about guitar because of it, so abandoned it and forgot everything I learned. This time I am far enough away from my previous experiences to literally learn from scratch without the "but the piano is so much EASIER!" colouring my learning process.

I think I haven't made much effort to keep time yet because controlling my hands seems like such a larger task. All I've focused on is getting the notes to come out, not whether or not they come out at the right time!! I know it's critical though, and I will spend some more of my effort on basic drills using the metronome.

Thanks again, Cap't and everyone!!
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 4:23 pm

In regards to what further questions ye had:

I find I've gotten into the habit of sometimes resting the edge of my right palm against the top of the bridge to "ground" my hand so I know where my fingers are in relation to the strings. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Should my right palm be touching the guitar at all (other than for palm muting?)

Strictly speaking, some instructors regard that as a mistake, because in acnchoring your hand like that, you can lose some speed and dexterity with your picking. However, by doing that, you may find it easier to control the pick-hand, and I admit that I use that technique (though with the right-hand pinky on say the pickguard) from time to time as well as picking in a more acceptable floating style with the other fingers curled into the right hand. As an aside, I've seen Setzer play with pinky anchored as well (Travis Picking and Regular Picking as well) as the floating style. Basically, you just want to make sure that you aren't unintentionally muting any of the strings with your pick hand, anything else that doesn't limit you is pretty much ok, in my mind.

Controlling the pick is a struggle.
Everyone struggles with the pick at first, but think of using it like you would a pencil or pen, that type of grip and motion. Also, you might want to experiment with different thickness of picks. Generally, I find that a thicker pick won't bend as much and will be more stable and easier to control, up to a point. As for angle and pressure, they just come with time, as you sort of want a little less than a 90 degree attack with the edge of the pick (point) contacting the strings, and you want to hold the pick firmly, but relaxed, almost like flipping a coin.

"but the piano is so much EASIER!"
Well, each instrument has its own difficulty, but one of the things that in my opinion makes the guitar harder to master than piano or a horn, is that on those instruments, there is one way and only one way to play a note (Middle C for example). On the guitar, there are five positions for that note (Middle C), so that raises the level of complexity. That said, if you've played some sort of instrument in your life, you know about how to keep time, and that's just as, if not more important, than learning tons of scales, chords, etc.

Hope that helps ye, again, some of these things are best explained either through video clips or actual lessons, but these are the basic concepts I try to convey to ye.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 pm

I'm proud of you! seriously... youre off to a good start. there are many ways to develop
bad habits and you can spend all your time trying to get it just right.. F$%K that and
just keep playing, every second you have. Try to sit in front of a mirror and always always practice the rifts and chord progressions you are comfortable with using
a metronome. I absolutely hate playing with guitarists and bassist that have a million
riffs and swagger but have no damn timing. If you can keep 2 good habits from start
to finish in this life as a guitarist in practicing; good Timing and play standing up!

everything else will fall into place and you are definitely on your way! cheers cheers

ps. like the tone of your rig! let me know when you want to start swapping out
speakers and tubes! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 6:12 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm proud of you! seriously... youre off to a good start. there are many ways to develop
bad habits and you can spend all your time trying to get it just right.. F$%K that and
just keep playing, every second you have. Try to sit in front of a mirror and always always practice the rifts and chord progressions you are comfortable with using
a metronome. I absolutely hate playing with guitarists and bassist that have a million
riffs and swagger but have no damn timing. If you can keep 2 good habits from start
to finish in this life as a guitarist in practicing; good Timing and play standing up!

everything else will fall into place and you are definitely on your way! cheers cheers

ps. like the tone of your rig! let me know when you want to start swapping out
speakers and tubes! Smile

Here, here Tavo!

Too many players out there have the riffs/equipment from hell but got no feel!
And definately playing standing up IS harder than sitting down! Especially in front of an audience!
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 6:30 am

Hopefully my travis picking won't suffer as a result (when I eventually start working on it!)

Travis-icking is not even as difficult as many people think!
It's also a good way to develop a feeling for where the strings are. I got some good exercises for that stuff, PM me if you want them.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 2:03 pm

Tavo, Pete and Paul thanks for your help too! I spent some time working with a metronome yesterday- it's tougher than it sounds but I'll keep at it, I can already feel it starting to fall more into place. Tavo, thanks for the comment about my tone- I think I'll work with what I've got for a little while before I start tinkering with it. Gotta get familiar with my starting point so I can really tell the difference when it's time to monkey with it!!

Paul, PM sent- thank you!!

Also, Cap'n, I did swap out the straps and it does make a difference, the weight is definitely distributed better. Unfortunately though it meant that I practiced for too long yesterday and gave myself a neck ache! Evil or Very Mad But I'm good to go again today. I know it'll all fall into place eventually!

Thank you all again for being such willing teachers.
Back to top Go down
matt

matt

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Andi try the spider to help loosen and strenthing your fingers
this involves starting at fret one on string six thick E first four frets
finger one first fret finger two second fret finger three third fret
finger four forth fret then move to 5th string A and start again
right up to 1st string thin E then work your way right up to the twelfth
fret you will find doing this every day for 10 mins will help your speed
dexterity and coordiation its the best lesson I ever learned anyway hope this helps
Back to top Go down
jonhope

jonhope

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi Andi,

Everyone's advice here has been very good

I also think you have hit on a very good idea of recording your progress - you can more easily pick up your own faults and inconsistencies much more easily - I started doing this only last year - I really wish I had done it 20 years ago Shocked

One thing that hasn't been discussed in detail is relaxation - to play your best you need to be relaxed - this sounds easy to do but is a lot harder than it seems (I know I am still struggling with this after many years Sad ) - this includes your posture (sitting or standing), how the guitar is supported (ie the guitar around your knees a la Slash of GnR or under your armpit like Johnny Cash) - but I think the main thing to look at when trying to relax is how you hold the pick.

Try to hold the pick lightly between the fingers and your wrsit and forearm will be relaxed - squeeze the pick hard and your whole arm will tense up. I still find myself tensing up when I am learning a new lick or struggling to execute a fast run - the earlier you start to think about this the quicker your playing will improve - you will also be able to practice for longer should the mood take you. Again I spent many years not thinking about this until I realized I was constantly holding the pick in a vice-like grip Shocked - its much easier to learn good habits early on than trying to un-learn years of ingrained bad habits Very Happy

Anyway, keep up the practice and above all have fun playing

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/afterburnerslive
Andi

Andi

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks Matt and Jon- great advice from both of you!

Everyone has given me such great exercises to build up strength, dexterity, muscle memory, etc. When I started a month ago, I couldn't practice for more than 10 minutes at a time before I was all worn out... today I just spend about 2 hours practicing!!! (with a couple short breaks, but still!!) Now my hand is stiff and my fingertips are sore but damn it feels good. So much to practice, so little time! Today I spent time on "Not Fade Away" and "C'Mon Everybody".... even singing at the same time! Ooh! I've got a long way to go, but it's exciting and fun!

Jon, I think I hold the pick too loosely, if today is any indication- I was strumming away working on chord changes and timing and the pick was all over the place- but I never dropped it! But I will keep your advice in mind, especially during the tough part of Honky Tonk. I know both my hands get all tensed up in anticipation for it.

Cheers guys!

cheers
Back to top Go down
ossi

ossi

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:52 am

2 cent's from me too:

It's a big cake to eat, the whole playing stuff but slice it to small pieces,
have smaller goals makes the thing maybe a little more rewarding.
For some difficult song's/tabs I practise maybe 1 or 2 bars till it goes,
then move forward with it.

The Metronome is important practising/playing alone - start slow and maybe go faster if it flows,
With flow I mean when all the notes sound clear and the tempo is "in the pocket".

Only shortcut to gettin' better with less days spent, as a player/musician is to plan the rehearsing sessions .
Focuse on what needs to be done, and stay focused 'til it's done.
Piece by piece thing's start to work/makes sence.
Razz

I usually play some stuff I know allready for awhile, then after warming up some I should move
to the new stuff i don't know/play well. And in the end just goofe off a little, have fun.

One can devide different sections for the session, like theory, chords, scales etc and study/work on 1 thing
about 30 min and then move to next. Helps to document too, to keep 'em goals in mind/focused/in track.

Theory is important, if you want to learn faster something new and playing together with other people is sooooo
much easier if everyone understands somewhat the common language of music.

Atleast find the notes/know the fretboard. Some chords like 6, 7, maij7, 9 and 13 is a "must" to understand for Setzer stuff, both major and minor.
Some scales are cool to know, like major minor and diminished is a good start.

Pain is not good in the long run, if it hurts, give it a rest.
Friend of mine played until doctor said there's no playing for half'a'year (probably carpal tunnel)
It really sucks.

Also, recording own playing for analyze helps a ton.
It's true, player listens differently while playing.

Playing together with other people is a must, whatever music type, maybe even with a piano-player or whatever.
I play over with CD's a lot, or make my own backin' tracks etc.
You'll then face other stuff like controlling volume, improvisation, compositions etc...

Having someone to show by hand how to play might help a lot but let's not forget to try to
learn new songs/stuff by ear. I'ts important that those pesky ears get's practised a lot too.
You'll see good ears in action when lookin' at some videos where a player tune the guitar
on the fly while playing, and you did not even heard it was slighly out of tune.

Very Happy

Most importantly, keep playing even if it's just for 15/30 min a day but 1 week playing pauses
put your fingers in square 1. You do not collect 4k $ but instead you'll lose the thickness in fingertips
and the next time you pick up the guitar it starts to hurt those tips again...

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://howlinboozers.com
pony65k

pony65k

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi Andi.

Great work!!!! I understand what you're going through as a fellow beginner. What I found hard/tiring were my fingers on the fret board and developing calluses on my left finger tips. Once I broke through that barrier it has been a lot better and I can play longer.

Initially when I started, I only played sitting down. After a while I tried standing up and found that much harder. I realised that I have to have the guitar in the same place sitting or standing (duh probably right?) because my arms were in different places and it was hard to play the chords differently standing to how I was doing it sitting, not to mention using the muscles in the arms differently. At the moment I have the guitar sitting quite high, which works for me better than the guitar sitting low.

I've read on the internet somewhere that the Metronome is a beginners best friend. It doesn't matter how slow you play at the beginning, it's best to play the notes properly. As the muscles in you arms and fingers develop the speed will improve by itself. Of course the only problem with that is I get bored just playing chords. I started trying to play songs which of course I couldn't and then just got frustrated. Patience is my biggest problem. I have to learn to walk before I run and that's the hardest thing to bet through my head. As a result I have been very lazy with my practice and of course the downside of that is forgetting the chords and losing what I've gained in the fingers and hands. The hardest part is putting the time aside to do it properly. and I don't have any kids yet either.

I'm probably rambling, so I'll leave it at that. Practice and Patience to me seem to be the important things, but I think you're doing great!! Seeing you motivates me to get of my ar*e and get back into it, that and the threat of Pete giving me a good beating Wink

I look forward to seeing more videos and seeing your progress. I'm sure that will help me a lot.

Take care Andi.

Regards,

René

BTW, the guitar looks brilliant and the sound of the amp is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Cristo

Cristo

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 am

Another Buddy Holly fan in the house? WOOHOOOOO!!!

Andi, I can see that you enjoy playing the guitar, and that's the most important thing. I don't need to tell YOU that!

I'm jealous. I want your guitar. Sweet dice knobs, beautiful finish, tone that'll make ya tingle... its just SEXY.

Don't take it from me, ask Brian! Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z68o_Fs47g
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks guys! The last couple days I've actually been working on a couple of my own song ideas rather than all my guitar lessons, exercises and practice. Fleshing out my stuff is just as motivational as learning to actually play the guitar!

Cristo, that's one of my favourite video clips. I looove the way Brian talks about his guitar. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 7:06 am

Hey Andi,
I saw Rene tonite, let's see if we can coax him to making a video of himself? Whattya reckon?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Practice progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Practice progress   Practice progress Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Practice progress
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: The cave - Guitar talk-
Jump to: