Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Gretsch lovers who didn't know yet...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
nietsk

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch lovers who didn't know yet...   Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:44 pm

if ANYBODY has proved he isn't a hippie it surely must be the great Pete!

at woodstock:

Prior to the festival, poet/activist John Sinclair, the leader of the White Panther Party and manager of the Detroit-based group MC5, had been convicted and sentenced to nine years' imprisonment in Michigan for marijuana possession, after giving two joints to an undercover police officer.[3] The sentencing caused considerable controversy, given the trivial amount of marijuana at issue, and it led to various luminaries of the day taking up Sinclair's cause. Among these were John Lennon, who wrote and performed the song "John Sinclair", and who, along with his wife Yoko Ono, later headlined the Free John Now Rally rally at the Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor.

For his part, Yippie leader Abbie Hoffman decided on a somewhat more spontaneous course of action. In the seconds immediately after The Who concluded "Pinball Wizard", from Tommy, Hoffman, who had ingested LSD after working the past few hours at the medical tent,[3] abruptly walked onto the stage and began addressing the crowd from Pete Townshend's microphone. He shouted, "I think this is a pile of shit! ... While John Sinclair rots in prison ..."[25] Alerted to the disturbance, Townshend (who apparently had been too distracted to notice Hoffman ambling onto the platform), snarled at Hoffman, "Fuck off! [Get the] fuck off my fucking stage!" He then struck Hoffman with his guitar, sending the interloper tumbling. As the crowd let out an approving roar, Townshend returned to his microphone to add a sarcastic "I can dig it!" Following the conclusion of the next song, the short "Do You Think It's Alright?", Townshend issued a stern warning to those in attendance: "The next fucking person that walks across this stage is gonna get fucking killed, all right? You can laugh, [but] I mean it!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch lovers who didn't know yet...   Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:58 pm

I too am an unabashed U2 fan, and I'm eagerly awaiting their new album on 7 March.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cristo

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch lovers who didn't know yet...   Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Any new stuff from U2 in, let's say... the last 10 years... I just can't get into it. Take me back before that, and I can give her a good listen. It just feels too forced, to me. And, let me tell ya, there's a difference between 'forced' and a FORCE. As in, "to be reckoned with".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch lovers who didn't know yet...   Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Cristo wrote:
Any new stuff from U2 in, let's say... the last 10 years... I just can't get into it. Take me back before that, and I can give her a good listen. It just feels too forced, to me. And, let me tell ya, there's a difference between 'forced' and a FORCE. As in, "to be reckoned with".

there's no question that was good stuff, but I have to give "all that you cant leave behind"
a round of applause for revisiting "their" sound.

alas this thread is better spent knockin dirty hippies ...

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch lovers who didn't know yet...   Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:10 pm

nietsk wrote:

The Who was a MOD band, weren't they? As in "Mods vs. Rockers".... Imagine; both cultures liked Chuck Berry; only the Mods labeled his music rhythm'n'blues, not rock'n'roll Laughing (the difference....? confused )

I like the Who, they have LOTS of great stuff. Don't like U2, though - apart from a few songs from "The Joshua Tree"...

Anders
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch lovers who didn't know yet...   Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:19 pm

gretschoholic wrote:
nietsk wrote:

The Who was a MOD band, weren't they? As in "Mods vs. Rockers".... Imagine; both cultures liked Chuck Berry; only the Mods labeled his music rhythm'n'blues, not rock'n'roll Laughing (the difference....? confused )

Anders

Chuck Berry was black, thats sadly the difference. Doesnt matter if African americans started rock n roll not to mention the moniker, it was taken away from them.
America was very different back then.....

An awesome dvd to watch that touches on this subject a bit about chuck is this:

Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch lovers who didn't know yet...   Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:29 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschoholic wrote:
nietsk wrote:

Anders

Chuck Berry was black, thats sadly the difference. Doesnt matter if African americans started rock n roll not to mention the moniker, it was taken away from them.

I'm sure, but that's really not what I meant. My point was; Chuck's songs were the same for both the Mods and the Rockers, only the Mods didn't wanna refer to it as "rockers' music".

Anders
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch lovers who didn't know yet...   Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:15 pm

gretschoholic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschoholic wrote:
nietsk wrote:

Anders

I'm sure, but that's really not what I meant. My point was; Chuck's songs were the same for both the Mods and the Rockers, only the Mods didn't wanna refer to it as "rockers' music".

Anders

I know geek you just flipped the switch that trips the trap!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch lovers who didn't know yet...   

Back to top Go down

Gretsch lovers who didn't know yet...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2