Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

changing strings on a Bigsby

Go down 
+6
I'm Incinerator
Nikko
jetbunny
tvthewiredturtle
JC
ruger9
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ruger9

ruger9

changing strings on a Bigsby Empty
PostSubject: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 5:47 pm

I #$%^&*ing HATE changing strings on a Bigsby. What a royal PITA.

I saw on a thread over on the Gretsch Pages someone has a unique idea...

Remove the pins from the Bigsby bar, then thread the strings THRU the bar. No more pins, erasers, sticks, and whatever else you have to use to keep the strings on the pins when changing strings.

I haven't tried it yet, and I'm not spilling all the details here, but here's the link... check it out & tell me what y'all think... I think I might do it next string change...

http://gretschpages.com/forum/other-equipment/paul-yandells-bigsby-trick/18260/page1/
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 7:02 pm

Hey thanks for sharing that Ruger.
I have a Tele with a Bigsby that I don't play so much because changing strings is such a pain.
The Gretsch isn't to bad, the Sperzels help in that respect.
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Ever play a top loader tele versus a through the body Tele... I purposely put toploaders on tele's because
they Twang much better. I dont want my strings running through that steel bar, if they dont have to.

It sucks to string a bigsby, but as my old boss used to say "there's a time to do it and a time to do it
right". I want my strings on those pins for a reason. A set of curved needle nose pliers and some murrays pomade in the slots with a set of 11g coated strings means 6 weeks with no changes (unless you have
sweaty palms...nyuk nyuk)

the rhetorical geeked question is suddenly "can the audience hear my properly set up neo-vintage gretsch
that has non vintage tuners and nut with the non stock abr-1 gibson bridge. Smile

changing strings on a Bigsby Three-stooges
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
jetbunny

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:33 am

ruger9 wrote:
I #$%^&*ing HATE changing strings on a Bigsby. What a royal PITA.

I saw on a thread over on the Gretsch Pages someone has a unique idea...

Remove the pins from the Bigsby bar, then thread the strings THRU the bar. No more pins, erasers, sticks, and whatever else you have to use to keep the strings on the pins when changing strings.

I haven't tried it yet, and I'm not spilling all the details here, but here's the link... check it out & tell me what y'all think... I think I might do it next string change...

http://gretschpages.com/forum/other-equipment/paul-yandells-bigsby-trick/18260/page1/

It's a lot easier after 3rd and 4th tries. The cork sliced diagonally works well to me.
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 2:30 am

A CORK!! Thanks... never thought of that! Lord knows i've got plenty of corks around here (glug glug). What a Face

6 weeks id about my average too, I don't use coated strings tho. I recently picked up a couple of those new-fangled "string cleaners", have been using them since last string change to see if it makes a difference. My hands aren't especially sweaty or acidic tho... boy, when I was younger they used to be! I remember having to change strings ALL THE TIME on my Floyd-equipped Charvel/Jacksons! (which, incidentally, was STILL EASIER than changing strings on a Bigsby...)
Back to top Go down
jetbunny

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:21 am

Guilty of that too.

I owned a Fender with Floyd Rose during my Dimebag days, I just slid a beer coaster under the Floyd and I'm done. With the Bigsby, just slide the cork. I'm still using strings since November. GHS Fastfret helps a lot. And I'm acidic as hell.
Back to top Go down
Nikko

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:51 am

Try grabbing the ball end of the string and bending around your finger until you have a J shape. Put the string on the post and pull it tight. Use one hand (or a capo) to hold it against the neck to keep it from slipping while the other hand threads the end into the tuner. If you have Sperzels, it's easy peasy. If you don't it's a bit trickier, but I've never had to use anything but my hands and string changes are quick.

N
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:20 am

I do bend the ball end, I do have sperzels. Doesn't matter... when I put the ball end on the pin, as soon as I aply ANY tension to the string, it pops off the pin. I HAVE to use something to hold the string on the pin while I apply tension. Not until the string is on the tuner & under at least some tension can I remove the "string holder".

I'm new to Bigsbys, I've only done 3 string changes, so I'm sure I need more practice, but I still think there should be an easier way. And a hole thru the bar sounds like the perfect solution. A change in tone? I don't know about that, I'll have to reserve judgement until I do (or don't) hear it for myself. Just like the whole "toploader vs backloader tele debate", I think it's something that is either only heard by dogs, or is a placebo affect. I think the material of the saddles plays a MUCH larger role in tele tone than toploader vs backloader. And I've played teles for over a decade now.

And as for the Bigsby, I don't see where it would make ANY difference... either way, the string STILL wraps the bar, and either way the point where the string leaves the bar is the same. I just don't see where the MECHANISM of HOW the string is held onto the bar would make any difference tone-wise.
Back to top Go down
Nikko

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:29 am

The holes left by removing the posts would probably have sharp edges (haven't looked that closely) the could cause string breakage. Might need to file those edges down to prevent that especially where the string bends over the top.

I used to have the same problem as you. It takes quite a while to get used to changing strings on a Bigsby. It's a labor of true love I love you

N
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 9:33 am

I've only done one so far on my Gretsch, and it's way over due for the next change...and what usually takes me a good 10 minutes of cleaning and stringing on my tele turned into a two-hour marathon...and I took a few frustration breaks.

I didn't even think about a cork...maybe sperzals would serve a purpose other than keeping strings in tune with a vibrato system.

Might have to make the swap on my Spectra Sonic soon
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:01 am

I just ordered a Tru Arc bridge and am planning to swap strings when I swap the bridge. I have never changed guitar strings before in my life, let alone on my Gretsch. Now ya'll have got me dreading it, it sounds bloody hard.
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:33 am

I use a sponge make-up remover -my wife's(!) - that looks like a segment of pie from the trivial pursuit game - i just wedge it under whilst I bring string up to tension -is only sponge so no danger of scratching etc.

i'm really reluctant to change strings myself though -I usually go minimum of 6 months unless one breaks - then if is bass string will change the lot -if treble just that one. I like the sound of slightly dead strings though!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 11:10 am

Well I guess this is where I pull another "grandpappy" moment (man I hate being 44) and admit that I have been playing guitar some 34 yrs.

I did lay my final floyed rose tele and strat to rest in 91' but kept fooling
with the fender, gibson, hamer and prs toys until I aquired my first
Gretsch in 2001. Been a bigsby man since, as it felt real close to my
first hollowbody I grew up with (fender coronado II) and its floating trem bridge that had the strings through it (used fender bullet strings)
changing strings on a Bigsby Cor2

the bigsby trem is a labor of love and I change strings one at a time, both high and low E's first working inward. I curve the ball end with needle nose pliers first and then shape with my finger like Nikko mentioned. I pull it all the way across the guitar and feed it into the
sperzel tuner and lock it down. once I turn the post a ful rotation, I
lube the nut slot and the bridge saddle using a toothpick with some
murry's pomade or triflo ( teflon oil, if I'm out in the garage).

Dont fear the bigsby nor its pin mounts! Smile

ps. That tele bridge thing is a big can of worms for sure. I got my first tele in 89 (first strat was senior yr of HS, 83') I think..thats some 20yrs of fondling tele's made of maple,ash,alder,rosewood,ebony, composite (revs).. I LOVED my late 80s Fender dream shop(just before it was called the "custom" shop) 52' tele string through with brass saddles. Wished I'd never sold that.. and a 62' tele repro(rosewood slab) with a toploaded, steel saddled bridge. It sounded like the 59' esquire.
I ruined that with a Rio Grande Twang bucker bridge.
(here is an example of what the Esquire sounds like, I love it:
Back to top Go down
jonhope

jonhope

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 5:32 am

Its interesting to hear you guys having problems re-stringing your Bigsby equipped guitars because that was also my experience when I first got a Bigsby equipped guitar a few years back.

I can remember very well the sheer frustration of the strings popping off the Bigsby pins when I tried to bring the etring up to tension bounce Crying or Very sad

With a bit if practice and patience I have now have no problems as long a I follow 3 simple rules.

1. Don't rush - I am never gong to re-string a Bigsby equipped guitar as fast as a stop-tail one
2. Bend the ball end as best you can (I bend the string around a pencil)
3. Always use something to wedge the strings in place while tuning up (I use a cotton polishing cloth - nothing more fancy than that)

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/afterburnerslive
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 10:45 am

jonhope wrote:
Its interesting to hear you guys having problems re-stringing your Bigsby equipped guitars because that was also my experience when I first got a Bigsby equipped guitar a few years back.

I can remember very well the sheer frustration of the strings popping off the Bigsby pins when I tried to bring the etring up to tension bounce Crying or Very sad

With a bit if practice and patience I have now have no problems as long a I follow 3 simple rules.

1. Don't rush - I am never gong to re-string a Bigsby equipped guitar as fast as a stop-tail one
2. Bend the ball end as best you can (I bend the string around a pencil)
3. Always use something to wedge the strings in place while tuning up (I use a cotton polishing cloth - nothing more fancy than that)

cheers

rule number one can only apply to patient people. Your talking to
a guy that screams at a bake potato in the microwave to hurry the
hell up! I'm the guy who drag races from one stoplight to the other and
yells at the red light to turn green... I cant be be patient ma-a-n.
sorry I rush every string change and I do it like a machine, its like cleaning my gun while I'm laying on the jungle floor with charlies all around.
What are you gonna do when you are backstage waiting as the band before you finishes their last song and suddenly you break your
B string on your bigsby? Solder, you better have a flashlight on your key chain and gasoline in your veins as you fumble in the darkness to throw that new string on and have it wound in tune by the time the roadie tells you "your on"!!!

.....or you could bring a backup guitar and play half ass the entire set because you play in a rockabilly band and your only backup is a polkadot lavender BC Rich Warlock you found in the clearance section of musicians friend.

rabbit
-fullmetaljack'it
Back to top Go down
Nikko

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 11:52 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

.....or you could bring a backup guitar and play half ass the entire set because you play in a rockabilly band and your only backup is a polkadot lavender BC Rich Warlock you found in the clearance section of musicians friend.

rabbit
-fullmetaljack'it

Screw backup guitars (mine's all green and shaped exactly like a Les Paul and it doesn't have one of those Bigsby thingys), if I remember to keep strings handy (riiight), I can get one changed before the end of the chorus. It just takes practice. I can't be the only one that doesn't use a wedge because I'm not special. Anyone else wedgeless? Someone needs to make a quick video sans wedge.

N

p.s. This message does not constitute agreement to make said video
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 12:35 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

changing strings on a Bigsby Hahaha-lulz
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 1:45 pm

Nikko wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

rabbit
-fullmetaljack'it

Screw backup guitars (mine's all green and shaped exactly like a Les Paul and it doesn't have one of those Bigsby thingys), if I remember to keep strings handy (riiight), I can get one changed before the end of the chorus. It just takes practice. I can't be the only one that doesn't use a wedge because I'm not special. Anyone else wedgeless? Someone needs to make a quick video sans wedge.

I used to be a huge string breaker in my Tele/Strat days. Our sound guy claimed I was the fastest string changer he'd ever seen (untill he saw Junior Watson, but he used a string winder... Razz ). No Bigsbys on those, by the way...

With Gretsches, it seems the strings last longer for me. I try to remember changing strings before I wear them out, usually after a couple of gigs just to be on the safe side. But if I have an "accident" during a gig, I change the string real quick without a wedge. I just call out a bass- or drum solo Laughing

Anders

(Main guitar: Gretsch 6120. Backup guitar: Gretsch 6120. Although it could be interesting to check out the crowd's reaction if I brought a BC Rich or a Jackson...) Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:14 pm

gretschoholic wrote:
Nikko wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

rabbit
-fullmetaljack'it

I used to be a huge string breaker in my Tele/Strat days. Our sound guy claimed I was the fastest string changer he'd ever seen (untill he saw Junior Watson, but he used a string winder... Razz ). No Bigsbys on those, by the way...

With Gretsches, it seems the strings last longer for me. I try to remember changing strings before I wear them out, usually after a couple of gigs just to be on the safe side. But if I have an "accident" during a gig, I change the string real quick without a wedge. I just call out a bass- or drum solo Laughing

Anders

(Main guitar: Gretsch 6120. Backup guitar: Gretsch 6120. Although it could be interesting to check out the crowd's reaction if I brought a BC Rich or a Jackson...) Wink

wedgie-less here.. re: strats and teles..I had the same problem with my strat and most of that is because its 25.5scale and the gretsch nashville is 24.6..even shorter than a gibson scale! Less tension plus the bigsby gives a bit.

FWIW..I cured the string break prob. with graphtec on the strat and I am hard on that guitar with all the SRV, hendrix 'n shreddy blues crap I like to do on it..strings do not break at all..they go dull first and I dont have the sweaty acid hand thing.

you know..I always feel concerned about bringing two nice guitars dreading another stolen gear moment in my life.. it really sucks when your lover is stolen by some bastard thats laying in wait for your gear...

btw..maybe its time for a stopwatch competition on bigsby changes? Smile..I fold tongue

btw.. I saw hillbilly casino's ronnie pull out some wild ass Schecter wank
guitar for wicked slide work.. It was a metal'billy moment! Hetfield would be proud!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: changing strings on a Bigsby   changing strings on a Bigsby Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

changing strings on a Bigsby
Page 1 of 1