Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch Empty
PostSubject: built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch   built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 12:03 pm

had to do something to deal with the depression of not being able to
sell my house to move to nashville and having no job..

here's my latest theraputic build:
built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch 719b_3
built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch 7a32_3
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
ScottS
ScottS

PostSubject: Re: built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch   built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 2:31 pm

It looks cool.

I always wanted to take a Tele and put some sandpaper to it.

Is it more complicated then that?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch   built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 3:38 pm

ScottS wrote:
It looks cool.

I always wanted to take a Tele and put some sandpaper to it.

Is it more complicated then that?

Its more of an artistic pain in the neck than shooting a new blank. That takes no
thought or emotion if its just painting a color.

I know it became popular when SRV died to "vintage" stuff and the Fender custom shop has
made millions on this nonesense, even some new gretsch guits have been "distressed".

For me personally, I needed an outlet and something to pass the art of guitar 'rodding over to my
soon to be 12yr old son.

I had some guitar parts laying around in the garage and the body had been shot terribly with metallic gold
paint and the pkguard entirely covered in a mix of red and silver krylon. Someone had tried to match
a kramer neck to a tele body... so my son said "Why dont you put all that stuff on this guitar after you repaint it.

the bells went off "why dont I have my kid learn to do some restoration for summer break" so the idea to make it look all tore up came from him, cuz it already was in sade shape from the 80s... like the joe strummer tele fender has out. We thought the new chrome would make it look like our old buick hotrod.

two weeks of chemical paint stripper, fine grain sanding and buffing revealed this guitar to have been painted both black,white,silver, gold and red... When the actual wood started showing as some paint fell off we realized that
it had the japanese dip sealer on the raw wood and it had aged a nice honey. At that point we couldnt use 200 grit any
more so I started using 00 scotchpads and slowly graduating to 0000 pads. Shot it with 2 coats of polyacrylic ( the only safe clear that wont craze or yellow over "who knows what paint") and then proceeded to buff it several
times (felt like hrs) with rubbing compound and Mcguires carnuba. I dont own an arbor so I cant buff it to the showroom Gloss of a factory glass but I think its basic sheen keeps the old look intact. oh well, once it gets sent
to a real luthier it can be intonated properly. I think the bridge needs to be reset.

I fully exhort anyone trying to get their minds around unemployment, mortgage payments, prayers that seem
unanswered,anxiety,etc to turn to guitar body " RELIC-ing"!! The therapy is free and sooner or later you realize
that health , family, and playing guitar are the real blessings in life!! ..and the occasional cold beer after!
Do they sell Pacifico in Nashville? I'm still lookin forward to living in the south soon and havin' a cool one with
many of y'all.
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch   built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Maybe I missed it in another thread, what's up with no job and a move? I've been there too, it can be amazingly stressful when your the Dad/husband/provider. I just finished up one of those years myself. Keep trying/praying, it'll work out.

The guitar is cool, but how about more pics and info on the car?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch   built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 7:07 pm

vic wrote:
Maybe I missed it in another thread, what's up with no job and a move? I've been there too, it can be amazingly stressful when your the Dad/husband/provider. I just finished up one of those years myself. Keep trying/praying, it'll work out.

The guitar is cool, but how about more pics and info on the car?

hi up my bands myspace website and click "video" .that 54 buick is rolling down the street with my
wife driving it!!
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch   built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 8:15 am

Looks great, but it's the sound of that thing purring and growling that I love. It says it's up for sale, sorry to hear it, I'm sure that's killing you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch   built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

built an Ode to joe strummer and gretsch
Page 1 of 1