Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?

Go down 
+2
Rickabilly
Le Hub'
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Empty
PostSubject: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 5:57 am

At this point, what can we say ? Since 2000, one record each year (from Vavoom to Wolfie, with 2 in 2005 !) except in 2004... The Stray Cats euro tour's year !

A tribute to Eddie at the end of the year, for his 70th birthday in october ? (we talked about this yesterday on Laurent's post but it was on the "old" board Smile )
What else ?
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:46 am

You never know. Brian's certainly earned the time off. He didn't start on Wolfie until late April/early May of last year, so it's still possible we'll see something this year.

In 2004, we did get live albums from nearly every show on the Euro tour, and the Rumble in Brixton CD/DVD, with the first new Stray Cats studio recording since 1992. And Red, Hot and Live would make two CD releases last year. Normally, I wouldn't count live albums, but these are fantastic. Even with the less-than-ideal sound quality on some of the Euro tour CDs, it was great to hear all the songs unique to each night.

So... in this decade, we've had 8 studio releases, approximately 17-18 live albums, 2 BSO "best-of" compilations, 3 live DVDs and a handful of soundtrack contributions. Oh yes, and tours, tours, tours!

I guess we're a little spoiled.

After 13 and Wolfgang, I've given up on trying to guess what Brian will do next. I can't wait, though. All the threads on ideas for cover songs and album themes are fun, but ultimately, Brian will do what he's inspired to do. And we probably won't see it coming.

Mystery-billy
Back to top Go down
ScottS
ScottS

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 10:44 am

anyways I heard he took up fishing and doesnt want to be bothered recording Wink

re-living-the-old-recordings-billy
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 10:58 am

ScottS wrote:

re-living-the-old-recordings-billy

No kidding! I need a year just to catch up on the 2004 Euro Tour CDs!

Time well-spent-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 8:10 am

About "re-living the old recordings", actually GONNA BALL is played everyday... That's probably the "farewell" effect ! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 8:20 am

My guess is that for the last year Brian's been with Budgie playing Baseball....now if we can just ban that subject from......NOW.....then the board might stand a chance!

Although Brian might not have released much lately....Think of what's coming up! I'm sure he's pacing himself. I bet that cold over xmas took a lot out of him, so he's relaxing now to give the US his best
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 12:58 pm

"so he's relaxing now to give the US his best"
No doubt about that Steve : he always give us his best since a long long time....
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 2:31 pm

If there is no "new" album, let's keep our fingers crossed fro a live Stray Cats CD / DVD about the Farewell best moments (just ONE cd Rick Laughing )
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 3:35 pm

Well it DOES look like Brian's going to still play with Stray Cats in America, so maybe, yes, a cd or dvd of the Euro Tour would be a final, final, goodbye to Europe No
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 11:06 am

Do we really know if there has been no recordings??
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 3:05 pm

No, not really ; Laurent talked about an interview where Brian said a tribute to Eddie has been recorded...
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 3:33 pm

Through Brian's generosity, we have been given plenty of advanced warning about upcoming albums. The news for Ignition was out 7-8 months before the album's release (thanks to the Belly Up and Coach House shows, and the website). We were taken behind the scenes for Rockabilly Riot, news about a Setzer-Phantom partnership spread almost instantly while the sessions for 13 were going on, and the hype for Wolfgang's Big Night Out started about this time last year.

I wonder if all the bitching and moaning about the concept for Wolfgang months ahead of it's release soured Brian from giving us any advance news on upcoming projects. Remember how many people criticized the tune Drugs and Alcohol when we were given an advance listen? With the masses flocking to the other board, can you imagine how many would weigh in on news of an upcoming project without hearing a note? Sometimes, advanced hype is a good thing, and sometimes, the buzz dies off before the release date if too many details are leaked.

If I were a betting man, I'd say nothing has been recorded yet.

As for the mysterious French interview from a few months back, I can't believe new material for an Eddie Cochran tribute has been recorded. Perhaps Brian meant that with all the Cochran covers in the Cats and Setzer catalog, not to mention the song Gene and Eddie, the Eddie Cochran tribute has already been done. Or, maybe he meant that guys like Darrel Higham have already recorded Eddie Cochran tributes, and that there was no need for him to put out an album of Cochran material.

I'm a big Eddie Cochran fan, but I wonder how satisfying a note-perfect rendition of some of Eddie's biggest hits would go over? And would it satisfy Brian creatively? Even on Rockabilly Riot, Volume One, Brian spent about half the album on Sun hits, and half on lesser-known tunes.

I no longer wish to offer up suggestions for the next album. I'm keen to let Brian find his inspiration. After 13, and after Wolfie, I have no idea what to expect.

Idle Speculation-billy
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 4:20 pm

Great Post Rick.
I'd also add that if anything was in the 'pipeline' it would have leaked out.
I'm all for anything the Setz decides to do. I still feel Anything is a bonus because
i thought he was retiring (well from live shows anyway!).
If the next record is 'Punk Polka' i'll still be happy.
We're always expecting more, and something different. eg - Let's have a blues album (sorry, that was me), or Let's have a country one, or Jazz, or how about Setz with the Morman Choir?! Everyone can have their views/opinions, but at the end of the day, the Brian will do what he wants, when he wants. And that's a good thing. He's not like these high chart place seekers who just bring out the same record as last time but under a different name, No Sir! With the Setzer EVERY Album sounds different! And the only thing i would ask of people is Whatever the next album or song....let's give it a good bashing on the record player Before we comment on it.
I've been guilty as anyone od judging a song after just a few plays, and not giving it enough time to really regester in my sub-concious. I won't be making the same mistake again!
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 10:49 am

Of course Brian decides ! I have nerver said something different !
I just think, as we are fans, we can talk about what we would like him to record this year, or if there will be a record this year.
For me, it's one of forum's interest...
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 12:58 pm

I completely agree. In keeping with the spirit of a discussion thread, I addressed a point in the discussion where someone asked "do we really know if there has been no recordings?" I said I thought there had been no recording yet this year, or we would probably have heard about it already.

Nobody's saying you can't come up with a "wish list" of tunes you'd like to see covered or album themes. It can be fun. I took this thread to be for us to come up with an educated guess of what was coming next, not a list of "what ifs." And I was speaking only for myself when I said I really could not guess what direction Brian will take on his next album. But the thread can go in any direction we take it.

Something must be lost in translation, as it would seem by Choo Choo's exclamation points (!) that he feels he is caught in an argument somewhere. Not at all, my friend.

Moving on-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 12:35 am

No offense Rick ! I have to admit that I have the exclamation point really "easy" (it' s a french tradition to use all the ponctuation points).

Somethings might be lost in translation sometimes, it's not always easy to perfectly understand what US/UK or Aussies people are meaning. But I can tell you I do my best and I really enjoy (trying to) writing in "english"...
Back to the topic now : Steve reminds me the Christmas gig in 2004 when Brian talked about "Punk Polka" just before a fantastic version of the Ventures Pipeline. That would be nice, just after the Classic WBNO...
Back to top Go down
laurent327

laurent327

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 7:23 am

the next album will be a gipsy album à la Django, I take the bets

A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Django
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 7:35 am

laurent327 wrote:
the next album will be a gipsy album à la Django, I take the bets

A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Django

I love everything about the above post, including laurent's avatar!

Django-rama-billy
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 8:49 am

Laurent, I hope you'll be right !! Django is on my from everytime (with Wes, Cliff, Eddie, John Lee and Brian). A Jazz-a-Billy album will be perfect for me. I'd call it like the first Bireli Lagrene album : Route to Django
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?   A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A YEAR WITHOUT ANY RECORDING ?
Page 1 of 1