Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

1961 6G6-A w/2x12... $600!?!?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ruger9

PostSubject: 1961 6G6-A w/2x12... $600!?!?   Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:26 am

My brother-in-law is the general manager of a Guitar Center. The other day, a "little old lady" walks in with a 1961 Fender 6G6-A Piggyback- original tubes, original speakers, amp is in as good a shape as a vintage amp can be in w/o being restored/recovered. Her husband died, she is moving into an assisted care facility and is selling off all his "stuff." She only wanted $600 for it. Unbelievable.

Myself, I would have preferred a "B", but only $600? Deal of a lifetime. So now my brother-in-law is FINALLY enjoying the sweet sounds of a White Falcon thru a Blonde, after waiting years (like alot of us), to get that vintage blonde.

Since everything is original, I wonder when it'll need a cap job? I'd hate to see him blow one & need to get the amp repaired AFTER the fact... is a cap job something that you do preventatively, or do you wait for one to blow then get them all done?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 1961 6G6-A w/2x12... $600!?!?   Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:28 am

ruger9 wrote:
My brother-in-law is the general manager of a Guitar Center. The other day, a "little old lady" walks in with a 1961 Fender 6G6-A Piggyback- original tubes, original speakers, amp is in as good a shape as a vintage amp can be in w/o being restored/recovered. Her husband died, she is moving into an assisted care facility and is selling off all his "stuff." She only wanted $600 for it. Unbelievable.

Myself, I would have preferred a "B", but only $600? Deal of a lifetime. So now my brother-in-law is FINALLY enjoying the sweet sounds of a White Falcon thru a Blonde, after waiting years (like alot of us), to get that vintage blonde.

Since everything is original, I wonder when it'll need a cap job? I'd hate to see him blow one & need to get the amp repaired AFTER the fact... is a cap job something that you do preventatively, or do you wait for one to blow then get them all done?

Replacing tubes and coupling/cathode bias caps is a prevention task, BUT ALL Electrolytics have to be replaced. They had a max shelf life of
15yrs and most crapped at 7-10 yrs. I am not talking about being
"blown" just mechanically/chemically worn out. Specifically
the Filter caps that sit on the bottom of the chassis inside a small pan called the doghouse.

That amp cannot possibly sound up to par with how it should OEM circa 60s until that job is done to it.

Having said that, inside the chassis there are numerous caps that are electrolytic and those all start drifting hideously in their values resulting in less than stellar tone. If you see the dark blue hot dog looking caps
with the white labels.. those are sealed MALLORY coupling caps and they usually are okay like ceramic disc caps. They dont get leaky like the others...

ALL to say, a new tube job with properly bias tubes (brians are biased on the hot side) and cap replacement (billy zoom did this to brians amps) yields a blonde bassman that rivals most amps out there.

I've recently done a full recap to my 63' and I thought it was good before, now it just chimes man.. Beautiful!!

Are you on the east coast? If so Brian Gerhard of Tophat amps is
awesome at restoring the blondes. He was responsible for 3 of my
bassmans. He prefers sprague electrolytics and mallory coupling caps
and it makes the amp sweet.
The only change I've made is switching to all Orange Drop 715 series
caps as it sounds more like Setzers BSO tone... I can only speculate that this is what billy zoom did to the amps as they are stock amps not modded. Just caps, tubes and speakers making the Setzer blondes just kill.
someday I hope to find a picture of the inside of Brians Chassis and cabinets... Smile

Get that amp serviced, a $150 more will take you to the promised land!

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
ruger9

PostSubject: Re: 1961 6G6-A w/2x12... $600!?!?   Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:12 am

My bro-in-law is in Pheonix, actually. I'm going to pass on your info/advice. Thanks Tavo!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1961 6G6-A w/2x12... $600!?!?   

Back to top Go down

1961 6G6-A w/2x12... $600!?!?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: The cave - Guitar talk-
Jump to: