Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

World War 1

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

World War 1 Empty
PostSubject: World War 1   World War 1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 11:58 am

Anybody interested in history. On Saturday ,my friend and I are going to Belgium for 4 days on a World War 1 tour. we'll be staying in Ypres and visiting the Somme, the mass graves ,various monuments etc. Looking forward to it.
My wifes grandfather actually fought in that war, in the British army( he was Irish) at the Battle of the Marne in 1917.
And around the same time 1921/22 ,my grandfather fought against the British army in the Irish war of Independance.
I have 2 bullets from the Irish war from 1916. The Germans sent armnaments etc to assist in the rebellion against the UK and the ship was scuttled off the Southern coast of Ireland when it was intercepted by the Royal Navy. My friends brother dived the wreck in 1993 and brought up loads of stuff. He gave me the 2 bullets.
My friend who Iam going to Belgium with,had 2 grand uncles killed in the Irish war of Independance.
I love this kind of stuff , thankfully though ,I dont have to live through it.
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

World War 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World War 1   World War 1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 12:45 pm

Hello Vincent,
History is one of my passion and I have a thesis on World War 1.
I've made the trip you're going to make few times, but in the french side (Verdun, etc...)
I hope you a nice & enriching trip.
Back to top Go down

World War 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World War 1   World War 1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:04 pm

I'm not very keen on history but I feel very linked to Coventry in England, as I lived there for a while... and despite there's nothing to see in that city, you guys should visit Coventry's two cathedrals. The "old" was bombed during WWII, and the "new" is attached to the old.

Apart from that, nothing else to mention in that city but there are other places you can visit in the area (nothing related to Wars as far as I know) lile Warwick, Stratford...
Back to top Go down
frenchlmp

frenchlmp

World War 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World War 1   World War 1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:21 pm

ChooChooHotHub wrote:
Hello Vincent,
History is one of my passion and I have a thesis on World War 1.
I've made the trip you're going to make few times, but in the french side (Verdun, etc...)
I hope you a nice & enriching trip.

study
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

World War 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World War 1   World War 1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi ChooChoo , Yeah ,I would,ve loved if we could go to Verdun, that place would be fascinating. We are going on a guided package tour so we dont really have the freedom to roam about. I would also love to visit where the Battle of Waterloo was fought ( different war ,I know but still fascinating). When I lived in The USA back in the 1990s ,I visited a few Cival War sites and a couple of Revolutionary war places. New york is covered in Revolutionary places of interest. I lived in London for awhile too and that place is oozing history.

As a matter of fact within a 3 mile radius of my house ,here in Ireland, there are the remains of 4 castles/Tower houses and several Bronze age earthen enclosures. All minor artifacts really but everything has some story to tell. About 40 miles away is a place where 600 Spanish and Italian soldiers were massacred by the English in the 1580's. The body of the Earl of Desmond ,who led a 6 year war against Queen Elizabeth the 1st, is buried less than a mile from me. And Lord Kitchener , the famed British general from the first world war was born and raised about 20 miles away.
Back to top Go down
Kelley

World War 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World War 1   World War 1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 6:47 pm

wish I was good at history in school...

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

World War 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World War 1   World War 1 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:35 am

Nobody I know is interested in my 4 favourite subjects, Brian Setzer/Stray Cats ,History ,Prehistoric Animals and Lovemaking which my Wife has no interest in.
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

World War 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World War 1   World War 1 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:48 am

No luck, really...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

World War 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World War 1   World War 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

World War 1
Page 1 of 1