Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Teenage heaven.

Go down 
+5
Rickabilly
Brett
Kelley
Le Hub'
setzerino
9 posters
AuthorMessage
setzerino

setzerino

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:27 am

Does anyone know if Brian did a version of this song? Its a great Eddie Cochran song so you never know.
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:49 am

For what I know, he did not.
An expert, QUICK !!
Back to top Go down
Kelley

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:54 am

never heard of this song-thank you Setzerino!

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 10:13 am

kelleyM wrote:
never heard of this song-thank you Setzerino!

is there a thing called 'middle aged heaven'??
that's what I feel like with you know who sometimes, lol

2009 Tiger Beat drunken

what a cool guy he was.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 10:32 am

If he ever performed it, it was never recorded via bootleg or official channels. I think he worked from the list of more well-known Eddie classics over the years.

Even though Darrel Higham has recorded two of THE definitive Eddie Cochran compilations, it would be fun to see what Brian would do digging deeper into the Cochran catalog. Rockabilly Riot, Volume 2, perhaps?

To date, we have from Brian:

Hallelujah, I Love Her So (Tomcats)
Summertime Blues
C'mon Everybody
Jeannie, Jeannie, Jeannie
Somethin' Else
20 Flight Rock
Nervous Breakdown
I think the Stray Cats did Cut Across Shorty live sometimes, but I'm not sure.
My Way - not the Sinatra/Paul Anka/Elvis tune. Eddie's "My Way" slays 'em all.

What intrigues me is that the Tomcats covered a ton of Gene Vincent tunes. Not quite so many since. Maybe a Gene and Eddie tribute would be in the offing.

Eddie-billy

Last edited by Rickabilly on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:19 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added Nervous Breakdown AND My Way to list)
Back to top Go down
setzerino

setzerino

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 10:38 am

I would love Brian to do a rock and roll cover album. I would love to hear his version of some more ricky nelson, chuck berry etc.
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 10:56 am

Rickabilly wrote:
If he ever performed it, it was never recorded via bootleg or official channels. I think he worked from the list of more well-known Eddie classics over the years.

I think the Stray Cats did Cut Across Shorty live sometimes, but I'm not sure.

Eddie-billy

Isn't it about time the 'Brian Setzer Trio' did 'Cut Across Shorty'?
Followed by 'Be-bopa-lula'
'Teenage Heaven' is very cool - i'm going to have to listen to my Eddie cds now!!!

Quote :
Hallelujah, I Love Her So (Tomcats)
I think Ray Charles wrote this with the BSO in mind!!!! Cool
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
steb74

steb74

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:37 pm

Yeah, Eddie is most certainly in the elite of the coolest cats ever!
Also, Brian has recorded Nervous Breakdown.
On a Charles & Eddie note, I'd love to hear Brian do a version of What'd I Say, in a similar way that Eddie did.

(hang on, isn't Charles & Eddie some crazy duo from the 90's Shocked )
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 1:10 pm

Rickabilly wrote:

I think the Stray Cats did Cut Across Shorty live sometimes, but I'm not sure. Eddie-billy

Yes Rick, I confirm : Stray Cats played Cut Accross Shorty. In Paris, in june 1990, they played that Eddie's classic unplugged.
Back to top Go down

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Yeh, Cut Across Shorty was performed both in the French & Spanish tour (Feb 1982) and during the summer of 1990 until the end of the Japan tour 1991.

Halellujah I Love Her So was also performed in Barcelona back in 1982.

BTW Rickabilly, was ever Eddie Cochran in Sun Records?? Just because if he wasn't, Eddie cannot be included in Riot 2... unless it's a tribute to rockabilly icons or record companies in general
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:04 pm

Of course Eddie was not at Sun studios. This said, he perfectly can be the theme of the second tribute.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:21 pm

There's no way Riot, Volume 2 - if it ever happens, would cover Sun Records again. Brian's more than already done the label justice with those 23 tracks from Volume 1. At the time it was released, this board was full of people clamoring for a Volume 2, and some fans thought another label could be the subject of the tribute - Imperial, for example. Or he could focus in on a specific artist. Eddie Cochran was the first obvious choice, but with Brian having done so many Eddie songs before, and Darrel Higham having covered Cochran just a couple of years before, it seemed unlikely Brian would devote a 20+ track album solely to Eddie. Gene-n-Eddie seems about right. Or maybe just a collection of influence with no one label affiliation, where you could have the Burnette Bros, Ricky Nelson, maybe even an Elvis number or two. The possibilities are endless.

In this digital age, an entire album wouldn't even be necessary. He could do EPs (4-6 tunes) of his favorites. A Burnette Brothers EP, a Ricky Nelson EP, a Buddy Holly EP, an EP EP (Elvis). If available via download, there would be little tied up in the packaging costs, and Brian could put 'em out whenever he felt like it.

Sunscreen-a-billy
Back to top Go down

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 3:16 pm

I agree with you folks, but at first I had the idea that RRiot 2 would be dedicated to Sun Records.

Ideas for a second volume, any possibility can exist, but despite Darrel Higham's Eddie Cochran Tribute, I still think that Brian could improve it, but pretty much an EP with a few tracks does sound interesting but never to download. I prefer the orinal packing
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Cat

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 6:40 pm

Another song for Rick's list: Eddie's "My Way" was the opening song during the Stray Cats European tour in early 1982.

Cut Across Shorty and Halelujah, I Love Her So were also performed during the 82 tour.
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
Kelley

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 6:45 pm

I have a dumb question to ask-who did Brian prefer more, Gene Vincent or Eddie Cochran?

just curious
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Rocky Mountain Cat wrote:
Another song for Rick's list: Eddie's "My Way" was the opening song during the Stray Cats European tour in early 1982.

Cut Across Shorty and Halelujah, I Love Her So were also performed during the 82 tour.

My Way is a great song. really surprised more bands don't cover it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:16 pm

kelleyM wrote:
I have a dumb question to ask-who did Brian prefer more, Gene Vincent or Eddie Cochran?

just curious

It seems pretty obvious that the answer is Eddie Cochran. When I visited the Freeborn County Museum in Albert Lea, MN, the library had all sorts of articles about Eddie, including some quoting Brian Setzer. I wish I had the article, but Brian talked about how he wasn't always into rockabilly, as his early guitar work covered a bit of Blues, Southern rock, Allman Brothers, a little Creedence, maybe some Chuck Berry... But he picked up a copy of Eddie's Legendary Masters 2LP set and was transfixed on the cover photo of Eddie. It wasn't just the sound, it was the look and the attitude, and the fact that Eddie actually played the guitar on his records. It is true that the Tomcats performed more Gene Vincent covers early on, but the artist Brian was following in the Blue Caps wasn't Gene Vincent, it was the guitarist, Cliff Gallup.

One of the strongest links between Brian and Eddie, of course, is the Gretsch 6120 guitar:

Brian Setzer wanted a Gretsch 6120 from the moment he saw a photo of Eddie Cochran, the rockabilly great best known for “Summertime Blues.” I had no idea what it was called but I know I had to have one,” remembers Setzer. “When I was 17, I saw an ad in the paper: ‘Gretsch for sale.’ When I saw that it was an ‘Eddie Cochran,’ I bought it on the spot for $100.”

There was a 1983 interview where Brian slagged off some the old legends.

"I used always to think of Eddie Cochran, y'know, coz he's my favourite and then, you see clips of him live and he don't do too much for me. Dick Clark made us up some unreleased stuff he had, old American bandstand shows of Cochran and Vincent and Berry, and those guys just didn't do too much for me."

Of course, that was the height of the Stray Cats mania, and all the ego that comes with it. About 15 years later, a more mature and reflective Brian offers this:

"'Eddie Cochran had the whole package. He was a songwriter, he was a guitar player - boy, was he one of the first guitar players - and he had a natural voice that just rocked, plus he was good-looking but cool too. When I first heard "Somethin' Else" it blew my socks off? It was the hardest rockin' song that I still think I have ever heard. And hard rock doesn't just have to be your guitar turned up to eleven, it's the attitude."

After "Double Talkin' Baby," there were no more commercially-released Gene Vincent covers by Brian or Stray Cats until the obligatory "Be-Bop-a-Lula" on Original Cool. Compare that with the half-dozen or so Eddie songs he's released over the same time period.

Brian was handpicked by Eddie's family to portray Cochran in La Bamba, and he later befriended Sharon Sheeley, Eddie's girlfriend and writer of several of Eddie's hits. That personal connection undoubtedly cemented his preference for Eddie.

Obviously, there is a song Gene-n-Eddie, indicating a strong admiration for both. But I'll bet Brian, (nicknamed "Eddie" by the one and only George Harrison) if pressed to make a choice, would select Eddie Cochran every time.

Somethin' Else-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Teenage heaven. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teenage heaven.   Teenage heaven. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Teenage heaven.
Page 1 of 1