Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The BLUE Strat !

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
markarma

markarma

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 6:43 am

There must be a story behind the blue strat, I know he used a Strat to do slide guitar on 'You Don't Beleive Me' live, but where was the Gretsch while this was being filmed? Did it go missing?

Mark
Back to top Go down
http://www.markarma.com

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:13 am

I think BRian recorded Little Miss Prissy with both the Gretsch & Strat... that's why he might be using it on that clip, and also because You Don't Believe Me could have been played on that show...
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:36 am

Thats a great clip. but you do realize the Cats are miming to the record. Not that there's anything wrong with that, cause I actually love this clip. They look mean and hungry like a real rockn'roll band should.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:55 am

I personally am worn out about the Straycats, brian has moved on and has developed as an artist and music a millions time
past those old days...BUT

you sharing this video I have never seen, or
remember seeing on MTV back in the 80s, makes me want to go listen
again. I dont care if they are lip sinking, this video really reminds me
why I was so drawn to the Cats, Billy Idol, The Cult...

Straight up BaD Asses, post punk rocking rebels!! Totally cool and thanks for sharing..

Makes me remember being a pissed off skinny kid, in a rock n roll
band singin at backyard parties with the girls screaming and the cops
always shuttin the party down!!

Love that strat on Setzer, damn he was a cool sucker.. my 12yr old is gonna be pumped as well since he got a strat last summer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
markarma

markarma

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 8:00 am

Yeah they definitely look a bit pissed off with something to prove!!!

Didn't Brians Gretsch get stolen and recovered back in the early 80s?

Mark
Back to top Go down
http://www.markarma.com
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Quick note about that blue strat.. quite a collectible these days, as
it came out in Fender's 1981 line with the transitional white pkguard
with black pkup covers and knobs as well as the large headstock.
Due to the colorful and unusual palette choices these guitars were
dubbed the: International Colors

brians was "Maui Blue"... they also came in morroco red, monaco yellow, capri orange, sahara taupe, cathay ebony along with the usual suspects of artic white and sunburts.

Along those lines, I wonder if Fender stuck that on him for the shoot or
it was a brand new purchase as Brian is sporting the stock Fender logo'd guitar strap that comes with the american guitar case candy. I still
have mine on my strat from 91', but man oh man would i love
to have one of those 81' internationals in the capri orange (the orange is about the same color as that on a Boss DS-1 pedal) ...love orange!
Back to top Go down
gretschkat57

gretschkat57

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 12:17 pm

Yeah I noticed the Fender strap, too. Very Happy

THanks for that info TV, that's much appreciated! And that is one GORGEOUS guitar!! Back in the day I played a Les Paul Custom and wasn't much of a Fender guitar fan.........but times have certainly changed and I now have two Fenders in my collection.

I love the early "Cats" and always enjoy seeing these vids.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 12:44 pm

gretschkat57 wrote:

THanks for that info TV, that's much appreciated! And that is one GORGEOUS guitar!! Back in the day I played a Les Paul Custom and wasn't much of a Fender guitar fan.........but times have certainly changed and I now have two Fenders in my collection.

exactly..the early cats just evoked that brooding british attitude popping up on MTV. We ate it up (those who loved rockabilly and hard rock) because it wasnt our parents music.
These guys had Big ass pomps, bandanas,eye liner and tats and would scream into mic with clenched fists.

ps. every once in a while I end up with a custom LP jobby, swoon and
strum for weeks tryin to remember all my Jimmy Page riffs..the orange
lover wins out and calls me back to it with its siren song!
here's a pict of an LP custom w/ magnatrons I installed:
The BLUE Strat ! L_fac1afc9a19149d78ecc1f8d50928122
Back to top Go down
gretschkat57

gretschkat57

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 1:04 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschkat57 wrote:

exactly..the early cats just evoked that brooding british attitude popping up on MTV. We ate it up (those who loved rockabilly and hard rock) because it wasnt our parents music.
These guys had Big ass pomps, bandanas,eye liner and tats and would scream into mic with clenched fists.

That's another really gorgeous guitar! Nice flaming and color. So how do the magnatrons sound? As compared to stock humbuckers? I'm not a guitar tech nor do I claim to know much about these types of things.....I have a guitar tech who works on my guitars for me. But I do have a good ear. Actually make that two! Very Happy

I had a stock humbucker in the neck position and then got a Seymour Duncan p/up put in the bridge position for added drama . Twisted Evil We played mostly heavy rock and metal. This was during the time of the NWOBHM back in the early 80's.

I have to agree.......when I got my Gretsch SSU my whole musical world changed! Gretsch guitars tend to spoil me for anything else and even tho I stray once in awhile I still go back to the SSU.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 2:00 pm

gretschkat57 wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschkat57 wrote:

That's another really gorgeous guitar! Nice flaming and color. So how do the magnatrons sound? As compared to stock humbuckers? I'm not a guitar tech nor do I claim to know much about these types of things.....I have a guitar tech who works on my guitars for me. But I do have a good ear. Actually make that two! Very Happy

I had a stock humbucker in the neck position and then got a Seymour Duncan p/up put in the bridge position for added drama . Twisted Evil We played mostly heavy rock and metal. This was during the time of the NWOBHM back in the early 80's.

I have to agree.......when I got my Gretsch SSU my whole musical world changed! Gretsch guitars tend to spoil me for anything else and even tho I stray once in awhile I still go back to the SSU.

There is a secret from japan and if you keep it here I will share it. Smile
ESP has a company called Edwards build their custom shop guitars and
in making their ESP versions of LP's, edward makes their own clone's
that are seriously 2 cuts above anything gibson is putting out in the custom versions. Its lighter, more sustain, and the damn wood rings like a marimba.. This particular one in the picture is a relic and we took it
down to a particular guitar center that specialized in custom versions
of Gibson guits. This was before I put the new pickups in as it came with aged Seymour PAF antiquities..(my favorite gib pkups).
Man we put it against a gibby LP custom using a fender custom Vibrolux, a Vibro King, and an Engle half stack.. We had all the store
employees shaking their faces in disbelief at how amazing the Edwards
LPs sounded. without the Edwards logo you would guess this was Gibsons top of the line custom shop historic but then would realize how
much better sounding and feeling....

now get this.. it cost $1100 shipped from Japan. If I had the money I would have one of their tele's in a heartbeat. Japan just makes american things better, and this from a guy that believes in buying only
american ( our dodge magnum is 3yrs old and been in the shop a heap of times).

anyway.. wayyyy off topic and we need to move this to the cave but real quick.. Using drop and swap Tvjones Magnatron English mounts, the guitar lost ALL its LP prowess and became some sort of fat tele meets Es-335, but because of such a large chunk of its top is maple
and uber light mahogany, we couldnt dial out the brightness since the
customer plays through a Tophat Club Royale ( a Vox Class A clone)
and thus a seymour SD jazz neck and JB went into the bridge (these are my favorite combo pkups in a Hamer custom and PRS custom).
I even switched the tone caps to vintage oil and paper to warm it
up.. but it was a twang monster and this guy was an Eric Johnson meets Mike Landau fan.. He was initially hoping to make his LP sound
like my Spectrasonic (sniffle..I had to sell it to bills)

he ended up selling it and putting the magnatrons in an ibanez Artcore.
Magnatrons are sweet for very round and bouncy mahogany tone'd guitars..

again sorry for the tangent... YES SETZER's BLUE STRAT IS SEXY
and now I am going to pull the Vinyl LP off the wall to enjoy the
original version of Lil' miss!!!
Back to top Go down
gretschkat57

gretschkat57

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 2:28 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschkat57 wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschkat57 wrote:

There is a secret from japan and if you keep it here I will share it. Smile
ESP has a company called Edwards build their custom shop guitars and
in making their ESP versions of LP's, edward makes their own clone's
that are seriously 2 cuts above anything gibson is putting out in the custom versions. Its lighter, more sustain, and the damn wood rings like a marimba.. This particular one in the picture is a relic and we took it
down to a particular guitar center that specialized in custom versions
of Gibson guits. This was before I put the new pickups in as it came with aged Seymour PAF antiquities..(my favorite gib pkups).
Man we put it against a gibby LP custom using a fender custom Vibrolux, a Vibro King, and an Engle half stack.. We had all the store
employees shaking their faces in disbelief at how amazing the Edwards
LPs sounded. without the Edwards logo you would guess this was Gibsons top of the line custom shop historic but then would realize how
much better sounding and feeling....

now get this.. it cost $1100 shipped from Japan. If I had the money I would have one of their tele's in a heartbeat. Japan just makes american things better, and this from a guy that believes in buying only
american ( our dodge magnum is 3yrs old and been in the shop a heap of times).

anyway.. wayyyy off topic and we need to move this to the cave but real quick.. Using drop and swap Tvjones Magnatron English mounts, the guitar lost ALL its LP prowess and became some sort of fat tele meets Es-335, but because of such a large chunk of its top is maple
and uber light mahogany, we couldnt dial out the brightness since the
customer plays through a Tophat Club Royale ( a Vox Class A clone)
and thus a seymour SD jazz neck and JB went into the bridge (these are my favorite combo pkups in a Hamer custom and PRS custom).
I even switched the tone caps to vintage oil and paper to warm it
up.. but it was a twang monster and this guy was an Eric Johnson meets Mike Landau fan.. He was initially hoping to make his LP sound
like my Spectrasonic (sniffle..I had to sell it to bills)

he ended up selling it and putting the magnatrons in an ibanez Artcore.
Magnatrons are sweet for very round and bouncy mahogany tone'd guitars..

again sorry for the tangent... YES SETZER's BLUE STRAT IS SEXY
and now I am going to pull the Vinyl LP off the wall to enjoy the
original version of Lil' miss!!!

No, seriously, THANK YOU for the "tangent!" This is the kind of stuff I want and need to learn about.... and I like hearing about comparisons and what works best with what....(if that makes sense)...I don't ever claim to be technical...in fact I'm probably one of the least technical people here....I think I repel technology. Shocked Twisted Evil . But yeah, I trying to learn a few things....I'd like to start working on my own guitars a bit to save some money. We'll see. (And I had to sell my LP to pay medical bills so I know how that feels....I still miss it).....*cue violins*...

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when you guys were in GC and crankin' that guitar! cheers

Thanks for the info and I "pinkie swear* to keep the info here only.

cheers

I'm think I am going to go crank up some vintage CATS myself!! Vinyl !! Cool
Back to top Go down
Brooklyn Bomber

Brooklyn Bomber

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:28 pm

I guess the story behind that blue Fender Stat is that it has been given to Brian for the recording of this footage. The TV-people did and still do such things often, because it to expensive or unconftable for the musicians to carry their whole equipment for a 3 minute track.

Maybe you noticed that Slim Jim is playing a Sonor drum kit which he never played as his "own" kit. Back then he played Pearl drums or at leat Gretasch drums. So Slim Jim also plays a "wrong" instrument.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 1:47 am

bump!! bringing it back
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The BLUE Strat ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BLUE Strat !   The BLUE Strat ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The BLUE Strat !
Page 1 of 1