Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?

Go down 
+17
crazy mixed up kid
rockabilly guy
richjohnson26
donpepe
FrenchyCat
Pistol Pete
vic
Andi
Jess
webelvis
Brett
gretschoholic
Hot Rod Girl
Setzerado
nietsk
Twenty Flight Rick
tvthewiredturtle
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
vic

vic

Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 6:38 pm

sweeping generalizations to follow

To get back to the original question,yeah I think maybe it is a euro thing. Maybe Europeans are by nature more nostalgic, more into history and all that. Although I've never quite understood why so many are fascinated with American pop culture. Where Americans are more progressive,more willing to forget the past and move on with things. I sure don't see any European democracies electing an ethnic minority to their prospective head of state any time soon.
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 9:28 pm

vic wrote:
Americans are more progressive,more willing to forget the past and move on with things.
Rolling Eyes

perhaps this because we are deviant slaves of escapism, avoiding unpleasant reality at all cost, hence our obsessive consumeristic
nature?
Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Omnom
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
lonesomecat

lonesomecat

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 1:44 pm

... is it a european thing....

i don´t think so . have a look at the " aussie thread... "

for me personally , it is like rockabilly guy wrote .

first time i heard them was 1981 and i was just 14 years old.

it touched me inside !!!!!! that was a very special feeling. and it is inside of me
until now !

they will always be inside of me , : i am a stray cat too !
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lonesomecatz
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 2:13 pm

lonesomecat wrote:
... is it a european thing....

i don´t think so . have a look at the " aussie thread... "

for me personally , it is like rockabilly guy wrote .

first time i heard them was 1981 and i was just 14 years old.

it touched me inside !!!!!! that was a very special feeling. and it is inside of me
until now !

they will always be inside of me , : i am a stray cat too !

Uhm.. I thought everything
not Umerikun wuz European, besides
them Hong Kong fellas? rabbit

being serious now.. again its interesting to hear your comment about
feeling "touched inside". I mean music moves all of us to some degree
no matter how we front but I like your expression its "foreign" to me
and helps me relate.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:53 pm

From my Aussie point of view, I only just saw Stray Cat's 4 months ago (after an 18 year break), so that is the freshest thing in my head right now. Europe is probably going through the same thing too, hell, parts of Europe are still waiting for the cancelled shows to be re-scheduled. You guys and gals in the states have seen Brian Setzer & The Nashvillains recently so, maybe that's what has captured your attention, along with the upcoming BSO shows. Maybe we're insulated from that in that respect?

At the end of the day we're Brian Setzer fans including all of his projects in one way or another. I think every fan awaits the new release with anticipation. If Brian plays it, we'll buy it. If Brian embarks on a world tour with the BSO, I'm sure that will make everyone talk about it. Brian is an enigma, we never know what he's going to come up with (I mean who really expected Wolfgang's Big Night Out?) and that to me is the most exciting thing about the guy. The pool he draws from is bottomless, his talent is bottomless. To me, there is no individual artist today that even comes close to what he's done.

The tide will always turn, Brian has done so many things and they've all created different memories for everyone here. I love reading all the stories, people's memories and thoughts. The past is the past full of memories of a simpler life. Maybe remembering takes us away from the responsibilities of adulthood. Stray Cat's were/are brilliant, but so are all the members and their projects. If there wasn't Stray Cats, would all the other projects have seen the light of day? Would the Living End exist? Who knows, but that past definitely shaped the future. Just as today will one day be the past and also shape the future.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Shocked

Pony
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 8:49 pm

pony65k wrote:
From my Aussie point of view, I only just saw Stray Cat's 4 months ago (after an 18 year break), so that is the freshest thing in my head right now. Europe is probably going through the same thing too, hell, parts of Europe are still waiting for the cancelled shows to be re-scheduled. You guys and gals in the states have seen Brian Setzer & The Nashvillains recently so, maybe that's what has captured your attention, along with the upcoming BSO shows. Maybe we're insulated from that in that respect?

At the end of the day we're Brian Setzer fans including all of his projects in one way or another. I think every fan awaits the new release with anticipation. If Brian plays it, we'll buy it. If Brian embarks on a world tour with the BSO, I'm sure that will make everyone talk about it. Brian is an enigma, we never know what he's going to come up with (I mean who really expected Wolfgang's Big Night Out?) and that to me is the most exciting thing about the guy. The pool he draws from is bottomless, his talent is bottomless. To me, there is no individual artist today that even comes close to what he's done.

The tide will always turn, Brian has done so many things and they've all created different memories for everyone here. I love reading all the stories, people's memories and thoughts. The past is the past full of memories of a simpler life. Maybe remembering takes us away from the responsibilities of adulthood. Stray Cat's were/are brilliant, but so are all the members and their projects. If there wasn't Stray Cats, would all the other projects have seen the light of day? Would the Living End exist? Who knows, but that past definitely shaped the future. Just as today will one day be the past and also shape the future.

Pony

so you are saying that for Australians;
Brian Setzer today was yesterday's future
AND.. tomorrow's Hopes unfolding?
Smile
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 8:26 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
pony65k wrote:

Pony

Smile

And??
I can't see a problem... LOL !!
Back to top Go down
Fabdad

Fabdad

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Generally speaking, most of the globe is not set on the "latest fad." If you look at the far East, Japan has embraced American culture to the point of touring acts (since we are discussing music here) can be successful by tour Japan and Japan only (ala the Ventures). Amercian acts have a dedicated fan base that does not move on to the next "American Idol catch of the day." Remember the guitar shredders of the 1980's? They do well outside of the United States. Track tour dates from the Cats, Setzer, etc and you will find that there are certain parts of the world they always seem to hit. Simple supply and demand. I have a tour shirt from a Rockabilly Riot tour...mostly German dates!

For me, the most amazing feat that Setzer and the Cats pulled off is that while rockabilly as a genre was a short lived time in music history, the revival lead by the Stray Cats has lasted much longer than the original period (roughly 1954-1959).
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:49 pm

Fabdad wrote:
Generally speaking, most of the globe is not set on the "latest fad." If you look at the far East, Japan has embraced American culture to the point of touring acts (since we are discussing music here) can be successful by tour Japan and Japan only (ala the Ventures). Amercian acts have a dedicated fan base that does not move on to the next "American Idol catch of the day." Remember the guitar shredders of the 1980's? They do well outside of the United States. Track tour dates from the Cats, Setzer, etc and you will find that there are certain parts of the world they always seem to hit. Simple supply and demand. I have a tour shirt from a Rockabilly Riot tour...mostly German dates!

For me, the most amazing feat that Setzer and the Cats pulled off is that while rockabilly as a genre was a short lived time in music history, the revival lead by the Stray Cats has lasted much longer than the original period (roughly 1954-1959).

hmm.. I'm ready to move somewhere that likes rockabilly
music, it sure aint riverside california. 'n you are totally right
about american's fickle fans
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:20 pm

Fabdad wrote:

I totally agree and this impressed me as well. All the "real Rockabillies" should read this sentence twice a day... Cool

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

most of the european kids are the same. we have also a bunch of shows like "american idol".
And have a look at the age of all the R`n`R Fans: 30 to 50 and older. It is no more the music of the youth.
(Yes i know, we have webelvis and guitarmaniac, but the majority like Rheanna, Justin T., Britney, and all this fake-Castingshow-stars.)

My opinion in the 80ies it was maybe a european thing, starts in England and than in most countries of Western Europe. Later in the US where it belong. It is still typical US Music. But we are all influenced by the US.
Now in these days it is global.

Like me... Wink

Like we all...

Haleluja
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Fabdad

Fabdad

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 3:52 pm

Quote :

better off where you are...in Kansas, I can count the rockabilly fans on one hand.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:53 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Smile

That's exactly what I'm saying. I think Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 1:10 pm

They left the states and came over to the UK and with a few folk in the music field liking what they saw/heard on stage,they got there record deal and DE came in and the rest is history!.

And many other groups made the charts with the Jets and Polecats and Matchbox 45"s rockin" the radio at ol Aunty BEEB (BBC).

Also some TV shows came back on,such as oh boy and a few others on ITV etc..with Freddie Fingers Lee etc!.

Yip,the STRAY CATS give the music sence over here a right good "UP" lift!.

king king king
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?   Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it a european thing to like the Stray Cats?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2