Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Sad Day for guys my age

Go down 
+10
Budgie
Le Hub'
tvthewiredturtle
Brett
ScottS
Aussie_Sam
Andi
Rickabilly
FrenchyCat
Sharky
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DEXTER

DEXTER

A Sad Day for guys my age - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Sad Day for guys my age   A Sad Day for guys my age - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 12:57 am

Couple of things guys, number one, TV I didnt accuse you of being a racist, I want to make that point very strongly, its the media I was talking about, thats important. Number two, the perpetrator is always to blame, unltimately there is a choice to abuse, there are no excuses, family abuse or not.

My point is what should society do about it, do we take the perpetrators out and lynch em? or should we look for solutions in other ways, a scientific approach that involves both a custodial sentence and rehabilitation. Intensive therapy then closely monitored over their lifetime. It been proved the most successful way of dealing with child sexual abuse.

Matt sorry you have issues with social workers, but thats not my problem, in defense, its a difficult job, where human rights have to be balanced with an effective way of dealing with child sexual abuse. Thats not an easy call. whats your solution? I have a real problem with people spouting off and not engaging the grey matter, because it makes the whole thing more difficult to deal with
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/view_profile.php?member_id=286
enjay07

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Day for guys my age   A Sad Day for guys my age - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Lest you walk a mile in another man's shoes before you judge him.

I don't know of anyone here Question who's been subject of the whirlwind of a life remotely similar to that of MJ.

Imagine the horror & humiliation of being accused of child molestation; and how it would affect your family? Then to have the whole thing played out on TV for all of the world to see. What IS the appropriate protocol on that? Would you need special meds from doctors to keep you from losing your mind? I would.

Would you want to try & move on and get back to being the kind of person you want people to remember you once were (not the spawn of Satan you've been written up as by the media)? I would.

I heard today that MJ was asking his Dr's for drugs that would give him one, straight 8hours worth of uninterrupted sleep. Can you imagine living life without sleep? Whatever demons lurk in your mind won't let you rest?

And "we," the fans of 70's & 80's pop rock have the balls to sit back and say "damn the pedophile!"

The song that keeps resonating through my mind about this is the Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

Now the man has rest. He has peace. Hopefully won't have to pay off anyone to get where he's going.

Don't judge anyone, unless you, yourself, are ready to stand up and be judged.
Back to top Go down
Sharky

Sharky

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Day for guys my age   A Sad Day for guys my age - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 6:59 am

[quote="DEXTER"][quote="tvthewiredturtle"]
DEXTER wrote:
FrenchyCat wrote:
We can't diasagree with that, Sharky!

FC

Some very vicious people are putting their point across, apart from the fact thats its probably libelous. Thats dangerous talk about a man who was tried and the case dismissed. Everyone's got an opinion and its a good thing to be able to put that across but guys some intelligence please.

!

If you were in MY profession, you would know that it is not libelous, since were talking about a major celebrity. Rules of Libel and Slander are different for famous folks since 1964's NY Times v. Sullivan and its progeny (recommended reading in my profession). Also, I have represented molesters in many court hearings. I know one when I see/hear one.

"Why can't you share your bed? The most loving thing to do is to share your bed with someone. It's very charming. It's very sweet. It's what the whole world should do. "

pig
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Day for guys my age   A Sad Day for guys my age - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 7:14 am

I watched the story of Farrah's fight with cancer, and I've also tired of seeing all of the publicity surrounding the death of MJ. Too bad for Farrah that she had to share the "death limelight" with MJ. There were countless hours spent by little girls like me standing in front of the mirror trying to get that awesome Farrah hair. She inspired girls to be beautiful, and gave boys something great to look at. Her life story is inspiring, especially her love of life and her faith. She will be missed. I only wish that more time was spent celebrating her, as compared to the spectacle of MJ's death.

Does anyone realize anything else that is going on in the world around them? It's time to let MJ RIP. I can't wait until this whole thing is "dead and buried." Cool

BTW...Sharky, you rock.

Take care all,
hrg
Back to top Go down
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Day for guys my age   A Sad Day for guys my age - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 10:25 am

If you were in MY profession, you would know that it is not libelous, since were talking about a major celebrity. Rules of Libel and Slander are different for famous folks since 1964's NY Times v. Sullivan and its progeny (recommended reading in my profession). Also, I have represented molesters in many court hearings. I know one when I see/hear one.

MJ aside, thats an interesting point, from what Ive read my understanding of that case was that the Supreme Court added a fourth criteria to define Libel; defamation, publication, identification and actual malice, what did they define actual malice as?
Back to top Go down
Sharky

Sharky

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Day for guys my age   A Sad Day for guys my age - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 4:55 am

DEXTER wrote:

MJ aside, thats an interesting point, from what Ive read my understanding of that case was that the Supreme Court added a fourth criteria to define Libel; defamation, publication, identification and actual malice, what did they define actual malice as?

It was "actual malice", which they defined as "knowledge that it was false, or with a reckless disregard of whether it was false or not." Actual malice is extremely difficult to prove in celebrity cases. Moreover, the Sullivan Court stated that the privilege to comment on public figures is "required by the First and Fourteenth Amendments."

I don't know that Sullivan actually applies to a post-mortem comment anyway. Besides, truth is always the defense to a libel slander charge.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Day for guys my age   A Sad Day for guys my age - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 10:45 am

Interesing stuff Sharky, thanks for that, would that be the general international standard then?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Day for guys my age   A Sad Day for guys my age - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Sad Day for guys my age
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2