Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fender 63 Reverb

Go down 
+3
tvthewiredturtle
Wrock
knudi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
knudi

knudi

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 4:24 am

I see that Brian used the Fender 63 Reverb on the BSO Japan tour earlier this year.

What is the closest we come to 63 Reverb in pedal form you think, and what do you recomend ?

Have been looking at the Danelectro Spring King Reverb, T-Rex ToneBug Reverb and also the T-Rex Roommate Tube Reverb Pedal but that was pricey.
Back to top Go down
Wrock

Wrock

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 2:47 pm

Boss has a new pedal in the Legend series called the FRV-1 that is supposed to be a digital rendition of the Fender reverb unit. Haven´t had the opprtunity to test it but I am very satisfied with their RE-20 Space Echo 201 and Bassman ´50 pedals.

Back to top Go down
knudi

knudi

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 4:12 pm

Wrock wrote:
Boss has a new pedal in the Legend series called the FRV-1 that is supposed to be a digital rendition of the Fender reverb unit. Haven´t had the opprtunity to test it but I am very satisfied with their RE-20 Space Echo 201 and Bassman ´50 pedals.

Hey, thanks for posting. I will try this one in the local store if available.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 9:43 am

When it comes to what setzer uses, you have to remember that its not
just some "effect".. there are plenty of reverb pedals and emulators.
I just had one of the cooler ones last month called the
Maleko Spring Chicken $150 brand new.. the fender/boss pedal is
digi. Sounds cool but taking your nice analog tone and letting
digi converters turn it into 1-0-1-0's then back to analog is not
cool.

If you have ever used a 60's Fender reverb unit, you realize that the
tube preamp is responsible for the dynamics of the spring reverb
pan inside AND YOUR GUITAR TONE! The tubes chosen to be used in the unit ALSO affect your tone. The entire
Fender TUBE REVERB tank, is an entity unto itself...

take a look inside a Fender reverb unit (upgraded parts of course)
Fender 63 Reverb IMG_4562sm

BUT if you just dont give a darn and want to pull off great rockabilly/surf sounds.. ...dont laugh....till you try it......
the Digitech Dig-verb.
I guarantee filthy Reverend Horton Heat to Dick Dale Misirlou pulp
fiction reverb spring splat and splish. It sounds and responds like
a real spring reverb..BETTER than most actual spring reverb pedals.
You can find em on ebay for $45 and they work great, plus they arent
noisy like the Electroharmonix Holy Grail Reverb (i hated mine).
Setting number 7 is the spring reverb setting and it rocks..

Fender 63 Reverb DigiVerb
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
ruger9

ruger9

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 12:12 pm

A BIG +1 on the Digiverb! Great pedal, I have one.

I am interested in the new EHX Cathedral reverb coming out in August... looks like it's basically going to become their flagship reverb model. And what I love most about it is, it has a TONE/DAMPING knob! I used to have a Holy Grail Plus, which was really nice, but I need that tone knob to either "splash it up" or "warm it down", as the case requires.

BTW- that Spring Chicken, as well as the new Hermida Reverb and the Lee Jackson Mr. Springy, all use the same reverb module inside. And it's NOT 100% analog, despite what Mr. Jackson says. I don't know much about electronics, but I've read people who DO state that the module cannot be classified as analog. Just FYI. The SC does sound really good... and if it had a tone knob, I would have bought one.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 12:19 pm

ruger9 wrote:
A BIG +1 on the Digiverb! Great pedal, I have one.

I am interested in the new EHX Cathedral reverb coming out in August... looks like it's basically going to become their flagship reverb model. And what I love most about it is, it has a TONE/DAMPING knob! I used to have a Holy Grail Plus, which was really nice, but I need that tone knob to either "splash it up" or "warm it down", as the case requires.

BTW- that Spring Chicken, as well as the new Hermida Reverb and the Lee Jackson Mr. Springy, all use the same reverb module inside. And it's NOT 100% analog, despite what Mr. Jackson says. I don't know much about electronics, but I've read people who DO state that the module cannot be classified as analog. Just FYI. The SC does sound really good... and if it had a tone knob, I would have bought one.

its not analog (the chickn) these boxes are ALL using that fricken low res digi chip to create faux analog.. I just wasnt impressed enough to
"need" it..
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Analog Schmanalog, as long as it sounds good!
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 6:49 pm

JC wrote:
Analog Schmanalog, as long as it sounds good!

Its got to "feel" good too.. Actually most digital plug ins for recording
are AMAZING and very difficult to tell from original items.. but when
it comes to playing a guitar and a tube amp, dynamics are EVERYTHING
to those who play with their souls, fingers and ears..
In fact those last three things are everything to me like a religion...
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 3:02 pm

speaking of "schmanalog" anyone buy the boss fake fender 63' reverb pedal? how does it affect your dry signal?
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 3:17 pm

Mine will be here tomorrow... I'll let you know!

(I'll plug it straight in... guitar-pedal-amp. I use a buffer on my board, so no pedal really messes with my dry tone. As you already know, just ONE Boss buffered pedal is probably fine, but depending on the individual pedalboard....)

FWIW, over on the TDPRI (tele forum) Elliot Easton (THE Elliot Easton) is a member, and has checked in saying the FRV-1 can't so anything subtle... it's surf or nothing. But that does NOT agree with every single other review I've read of it, so it should be an interesting run thru tommorrow...

The Digiverb sounds great, but mine has a hum when engaged... I've tried dedicated power supplies, batteries, taking off the board, doesn't matter. It has a slight hum that bugs the crap out of me. Too bad... the spring mode is pretty great, and I love the Church mode as well.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 4:18 pm

cool good to know... yes that digiverb beat out my lil lanilei spring pedal, better than the malekko, better than the dan spring king.
The irony is that I dont think a 63' reissue verb tank is that great sounding. I really really like the reverb on blackface combos and the
fender vibrokings reverb is amazing too.
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 4:21 pm

From what I have read, the reverb on the VK IS nothing more than a 63 tank put into the front end of the amp. Literally exactly the same thing as hooking up into a 63 tank then into an amp.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 4:30 pm

ruger9 wrote:
From what I have read, the reverb on the VK IS nothing more than a 63 tank put into the front end of the amp. Literally exactly the same thing as hooking up into a 63 tank then into an amp.

I've owned one of the first Vibrokings and two reissue 63'tanks, one upgraded with "booteek" caps and NOS tubes, even tried 6K6s..
If it dont drip,boing and cluck it just aint my duck..
something about that Vibroking that made is so much more alive..
I just hated that I couldnt keep it clean at all. One of the tricks is to
turn all EQ controls to off and max the volume only then to make fine
adjustments...nope.. didnt work on my vibrolux, my vibrosonic,my vibroverb...
gimme an ol silverface twin or deluxe with a celestion G12 anyday if
its time for Dickie meets Link..

btw.. dont hate on this one but I was a mesa nut for a while and mesa had some cool weird reverb.. I had quite a few
a 1x12 Blue angel, 4x12 blue angel, tremoverb
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 6:01 pm

TV, did you ever get to try The Gomez reverb tank?

Those mesas did/do have a peculiar reverb. My old rect-o-verb had an almost smokey club prescence to it when it was engaged. My Twin RI was pretty much "let's go surfing" when it was high enough to be heard to "10" on the knob.

I'm thinking I need some reverb for spaghetti western type stuff...or maybe some weird attempt at motown r&b/soul blues thang...yep...my mind is bouncing around musically.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 7:53 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:

Those mesas did/do have a peculiar reverb. My old rect-o-verb had an almost smokey club prescence to it when it was engaged. My Twin RI was pretty much "let's go surfing" when it was high enough to be heard to "10" on the knob.

I'm thinking I need some reverb for spaghetti western type stuff...or maybe some weird attempt at motown r&b/soul blues thang...yep...my mind is bouncing around musically.

nope, I had enough of gomez and his shenanigans as a dealer with the
el sonidos.

regarding spag westerns.. ever listen to the Desperado and Once upon a time in mexico soundtracks? good housecleaning music. Smile
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 3:43 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

regarding spag westerns.. ever listen to the Desperado and Once upon a time in mexico soundtracks? good housecleaning music. Smile

Those are great CDs, a great "intro" to the spaghetti western/mexican-type music. Very cool. Movies of course were great as well. And Pulp Fiction also had some great stuff on the soundtrack.

BTW... they're making Kill Bill 3! 1 & 2 were actually awesome, if 3 is as good, it'll be one of my fave trilogies of all time.
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 7:05 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

nope, I had enough of gomez and his shenanigans as a dealer with the
el sonidos.

That stinks, it seems like he makes great stuff, and he's pretty focused on the customer.

I've seen the movies but never listened to the soundtracks, very rarely do I venture into soundtracks. I will have to check those out...I do need some good house cleaning music
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 am

Short version: Digiverb wins.

Long version:
I have never used a tank, so I can't comment on how close the pedal is to the tank. I find the Digiverb better in every way. The EQ control on the Digiverb works better than the Tone knob on the FRV-1 to warm things up, the Digiverb has more drip (actually, I'm surprised the FRV-1 didn't have more... sounded nothing like all the surf recordings.) I also hear a "digitalness" with the FRV-1 that I do NOT hear with the Digiverb.

I knew the Digiverb was more versatile (I still haven't found an equal to the "Church" setting), but I even prefer the spring setting on the Digiverb to the FRV-1.

So it goes back. Next up: the EHX Cathedral.
Back to top Go down
Niblos

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 2:48 pm

[/quote] regarding spag westerns.. ever listen to the Desperado and Once upon a time in mexico soundtracks? good housecleaning music. Smile[/quote]

We LOVE THOSE SOUNDTRACKS and films as well. Try the Dusk Till Dawn cd too. Great stuff (not to mention Hayek pouring the bottle of wine down her leg scene - swing).

Has anyone tried the MR. SRINGGY REVERB BY LEE JACKSON? The demos I heard sound nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fender 63 Reverb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fender 63 Reverb   Fender 63 Reverb Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fender 63 Reverb
Page 1 of 1